Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference -Metropolitan Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Philadelphia
 Flyers Afternoon Games Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Guest0206
( )

Posted - 02/21/2009 :  09:35:59  Reply with Quote
So this topic will probably go nowhere, but I was checking the schedule for today's games and saw the Flyers were playing yet another afternoon/day game and I thought it seems like they play a lot of day games. So how does it compare to the rest of the league.

16 games actually will be played by the flyers during the afteroon this season. Their record so far in 11 games (8-1-2). I looked at a couple of other teams to get a feel for the avg:

Detroit - 8 day games
Leafs - 1 day game
Capitals - 6 day games
Dallas - 6 day games

Is playing in the afternoon an advantage? disadvantage? and what's the deal with philly playing 20% of their games before dinner?

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2009 :  10:00:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What I would think that part of the deal with Philly playing day games is that most American sports are played in the afternoon on week ends. Rarely do you see any of the big 4 North American Sports on Saturday evenings. Maybe Baseball, but even that is not very active on Saturday nights.

The Rangers play a ton of afternoon games as well. I would think those teams in the East are the highest rated teams for Hockey in America, so they would get the majority of the afternoon games.

Above this, the deal that CBC has with the NHL is that they are the only network that can televise games nationally in Canada. So, I notice that many of the American team games are in the afternoon.

The short answer, it's all about TV.
Go to Top of Page

Guest0206
( )

Posted - 02/21/2009 :  10:21:56  Reply with Quote
You mean the 'big games' that are televised are played in day. As most NBA and NHL games and good portion of MLB games are played at night on the weekends.

That's an interesting cultural difference between Americans and Candians then, it seems that Canadian sports culture is all about getting together either at a bar or one's house in the evening to watch games. But that could just be a learned response to CBC dictating when games are actually played. And American's love their afternoon sports a la Sunday Football.

The Rangers play 10 day games...

So do you think all those day games gives a team an advantage or disadvantage. Because the routine/prep before a day game would be very different. (in Philly's case they can't complain)
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2009 :  09:58:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest0206

You mean the 'big games' that are televised are played in day. As most NBA and NHL games and good portion of MLB games are played at night on the weekends.

That's an interesting cultural difference between Americans and Candians then, it seems that Canadian sports culture is all about getting together either at a bar or one's house in the evening to watch games. But that could just be a learned response to CBC dictating when games are actually played. And American's love their afternoon sports a la Sunday Football.

The Rangers play 10 day games...

So do you think all those day games gives a team an advantage or disadvantage. Because the routine/prep before a day game would be very different. (in Philly's case they can't complain)

I am talking specifically week ends, and I would have to disagree with your comment. Most every NBA game on the week end is in the afternoon. There is only one night game in the NFL on Saturday or Sunday, and I would say at least 1/2 of the baseball games played on Saturday or Sunday are played in the afternoon as well.

And the routine/prep thing shouldn't mean anything. It's not like sleep patterns or anything are messed up. THESE GUYS ARE PRO ATHLETES!!! They should be able to play to their best ability regardless of time of day.

Ultimately, it shouldn't matter. There is not advantage or disadvantage to afternoon games.
Go to Top of Page

Guest0200
( )

Posted - 02/22/2009 :  18:29:56  Reply with Quote
Not sure what NBA you're watching Beans but go check the schedule (even for just the next 3 saturdays and you'll see there's like 1 day game out of 20 something games).

As for the routine/prep, yeah they're pro's and no one's saying they're complaining about it, but I'm sure playing a day game is different then a night game in terms of approach and physical/mental preparation. So using the other guy's example 16 day games for philly vs 1 day game for Toronto would probably have some effect on the team's overall results. I doubt anyone's going to go look into it, this conversation is like a pro-line commercial, but I'm sure there's something to be learned here by some fanatic.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4435
( )

Posted - 02/23/2009 :  09:18:44  Reply with Quote
just won an Oscar last night for my interpetation of a slumdog and i believe i won because we made this film in the afternoon only .... i defineti;y had beatter luck scoring in the light of day and all my fans liked it because at noon they could turn on their tv and see us nasty flyingdogs banging away in the daylights and we get the 2 points ...... life is good for us beatters !! .....
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2009 :  11:19:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest0200

Not sure what NBA you're watching Beans but go check the schedule (even for just the next 3 saturdays and you'll see there's like 1 day game out of 20 something games).

As for the routine/prep, yeah they're pro's and no one's saying they're complaining about it, but I'm sure playing a day game is different then a night game in terms of approach and physical/mental preparation. So using the other guy's example 16 day games for philly vs 1 day game for Toronto would probably have some effect on the team's overall results. I doubt anyone's going to go look into it, this conversation is like a pro-line commercial, but I'm sure there's something to be learned here by some fanatic.

I am sure there are some impacts overall on a Day Game vs and Afternoon game, but not nearly the impact that other schedule issues create. Most specifically travel. I have little to no sympathy for a team in the East having to play a few more afternoon games than others when comparing that with the travel involved with most of the teams out west. I would venture to say that the teams in the North West and Pacific will do more travel by Christmas than the teams in the Atlantic and North East will do in an entire season!!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2009 :  04:24:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just wanted to add - I think the other big influence is bookings for the venue.

The Leafs of Canadiens might be the big ticket on a Saturday night in Canada, but in the states, Bruce Springsteen might be doing a show at MSG or at the Philly arena (can't remember the name now), and potentially make more revenue for them. Thus, I think they plan ahead for this by making as many afternoon games as possible, especially Fri/Sat, so that they can book something more lucrative later on . . .

And, there would be the larger marketing effort in the states for families. If you want people to bring out the kids, gotta make it earlier in the day. In established markets in Canada you don't need to worry about that, but they are trying to get people out any way they can down south.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Guest9836
( )

Posted - 02/24/2009 :  06:12:18  Reply with Quote
All good answers that make sense, but it's funny that the Flyers are still around 2x the US average. So either Philly is just a more happening place (where the flyers venue is shared by more events) or they're ahead of the curve in terms of their marketing strategy for their local population. You'd think if day games held more appeal in the states the majority of games in the US on Saturday's would be at like 1:00pm.

Whatever, Talapia is good.
Go to Top of Page

jerseyb2b
Top Prospect

China
6 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2009 :  06:52:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Best Store for ordering custom jerseys online?our shop is www.jerseyb2b.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic