Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 NHL Award Predictions Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lunchbox
Top Prospect

Canada
88 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2009 :  21:50:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just finished watching a chunk or the oscars and that got me thinking about this years NHL awards. Just wondering who you think will win each of the regular season individual awards this year (I left off the stats based ones because it would be quite the long list):

Hart
Vezina
Norris
Calder
Lady Byng
Selke
Jack Adams
Masterton
Lester B Pearson

Guest9235
( )

Posted - 02/22/2009 :  23:08:03  Reply with Quote
Mason for the calder
Julien for the jack adams
kippersoff for vezina

As for the rest, i dont know for now
Go to Top of Page

Lunchbox
Top Prospect

Canada
88 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2009 :  23:55:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hart - Steve Mason: This one might be a little controversial, and I dont think he'll actually win, so this is my sentimental pick. I just like the idea of a player being considered for the Hart, Calder, and Vezina. But Mason has lifted a sub-par Columbus squad to playoff contender....Will they go far in the post season? Probably not, but Steve Mason deserves a shot.

Vezina - Steve Mason: As i Said, took a Columbus team that is mostly unchanged from last year (read: terrible) and made them a contender. Although Tim Thomas is having a stellar year, he's playing for inarguably a much better team, and he would be my runner-up.

Norris - Mike Green: Although still a dominant defensive force in the league, and he will probably hit 1000 career points this year, Lidstrom should get beat out by Green who is statistically better in almost every category, with fewer games played on an arguably worse team, defensively.

Calder - Steve Mason: In a field of rookies that isnt exactly terrible, but not exactly stellar, I give the Calder to Mason for his great performance on Columbus. Runner up would be Bobby Ryan of Anaheim, whos playing almost a point per game on what is now a mediocre Ducks squad, and playing all around good hockey.

Lady Byng - Pavel Datsyuk: Historically, the Lady Byng goes to a high scorer with a low PIM total. It also historically goes to Datsyuk, who they might as well rename the trophy after. A dark horse would be Zach Parise, who is "almost" statistically matched to Datsyuk.

Selke - Pavel Datsyuk: Another one Datsyuk should repeat with...great stats, great plus/minus. Datsyuk plays great in his own end and it shows. A close secong for me would be Boston's Krejci, also great in his own end, not the same offensively as Datsyuk, but he is a point per game player, playing great all around hockey.

Jack Adams - Brent Sutter: Proved New Jersey doesnt need Brodeur to be successful, and has his team playing offensively as well as defensively now. Some say he's got a great team in front of him, but when an entire team plays bad, they blame the coach, so why not the other way around.

Masterton - Steve Sullivan: In my humblest of opinions, this is a no-brainer, but debate if you'd like.

Lester B Pearson - Alex Ovechkin: On pace for another sixty goal season, Ovie plays with all the passion and fun of a kid on the pond. Players seem to love him (except for Crosby now, apparently) and what he can do with the puck.

Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2009 :  04:41:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hart - Alex Ovechkin: He isn't having last year's season, nor are the Capitals going from worst-to-first this year so I don't think this is a shoe in. If the Penguins make the playoffs, they may give it to Malkin; however, he has a Crosby on his team, and Ovechkin doesn't.

Vezina - Tim Thomas: Best SV%, GAA on the best team in the league. Nicklas Backstrom has probably been just as good this season, though. If Kipper manages to snag 50 wins, I think that it would be a crime not to give it to him. I just don't think he will.

Norris - Mike Green: He's got more goals, points, a better +/-, and plays more minutes than Nicklas Lidstrom.

Calder - Steve Mason: I think he needs to at least play 60-5 games this season if he's going to win it, but you just can't ignore his numbers.

Jack Adams - Claude Julien: Almost without question. They passed over him last season to recognize the Cinderella story in Washington. This team has now gone from 8th to 1st in one year, and there is no way he won't get recognized.

Lester B Pearson - Alex Ovechkin: Just more popular than anyone named Sidney or Evgeni.

''Yes we can!'' -Obama
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2009 :  05:48:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My votes:
Hart (MVP): Alexander Ovechkin
I like Lunchbox's sentiments with Mason, but the goalies tend to get the shaft in this category. Besides being the best player in the league right now, the other contenders for this award are all on deeper teams that take away the player's value (Thornton, Savard, Datsyuk, Malkin, Parise, etc). No one else will come close in the voting.

Vezina (best goalie): Steve Mason
With the time off due to injury of perrenial contenders Luongo and Brodeur, and the slipping play of Lundqvist and the Rangers, this is a wide open field, and difficult to choose. Lately, Kiprusoff has really picked it up and he will probably easily get the most wins; For GAA, it will be between Thomas and Mason, who also leads with 7 shutouts. I think it hinges on Columbus getting in the playoffs, and I predict they will. Mason by a nose, dependent on his continuing stellar play down to the wire in the tight western race.

Norris (best defeceman): Mike Green
Now, more tough decisions . . . and with Chara and Wideman cancelling each other out on Boston, it would seem to leave old faithful (Lidstrom), and perhaps Boyle slightly behind. Lidstrom is close; but Green looks like a Paul Coffey out there, without the glaring defensive lapses, and has a second best +/- of +26 right now. Edge to Green, although it will depend on his play down the stretch.

Calder (best rookie): Steve Mason
Really close field of forwards, with no one jumping out as a front runner - Versteeg, Ryan and Wheeler are all pretty close. Which is why I pick the Vezina candidate and potential winner Mason, who should win this one easily, even with mediocre play for the rest of the season.

Lady Byng (most gentlemanly or ladylike): Pavel Datsyuk
Who wants to be called a lady on the ice? No one, really . . . but someone has to win it. Traditionally given to Datsyuk now, and with the year he is having, he is a lock to win his fourth in a row.

Selke (best defensive forward): Pavel Datsyuk
Krejci will give him a run for his money, but Datsyuk will be hard to beat in this category. Traditionally, it's given to an established player, so we'll give this one to Datsyuk, who is having a career year stats-wise.

Jack Adams (best coach): Ken Hitchcock, Columbus
This is another tight one, as we have some big jumps in the standings compared with last year with several teams. And then there is Babcock on the Wings, who has them looking like the team to beat once again, seemingly the only team that doesn't suffer from a finals hangover the next year. For me, it's between Hitchcock of Columbus and Julien of Boston . . . betting on them making the playoffs for the first time ever, I'll take Hitch by a nose.

Masterton (perserverance, sportsmanship, dedication): Chris Chelios
A bit out from left field, but he certainly is dedicated, and has perservered . . . he's old, but still gold! Not a full slate of games, but for this geezer, even playing in the 20 games he has is an amazing accomplishment.

Lester B Pearson (best player as voted by the players): Alexander Ovechkin
I don't need to explain this, it's not even close, IMHO.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2009 :  11:37:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, I'll play along. But I am going to list who I think will win and who I think should win. They are rarely the same things.

Will Win -

Hart - Ovechkin - I think I did the numbers up and it something like 75% of the time the Hart Trophy goes to the leagues leading scorer. However, even if Malkin wins the scoring race, Ovechkin will win the Hart. Too much media, too many highlights, too much in your face.

Vezina - Thomas - More often than not, the Vezina goes to the goalie that has the best statistical numbers as well as rarely does the Vezina go to a goalie on an average team. Thomas is as deserving as the next.

Norris - Lidstrom - Really tough because I don't think he deserves it and his numbers don't suppport it, but if he wins he goes into a very elite class of players with 7 Norris (Harvey and Orr being the only others with 7). I think the voters go bring this into mind.

Calder - Mason - This is pretty easy, and again has a ton to do with the media attention involved. It's rare that a rookie goalie plays as well as Mason, so he will win it.

Lady Byng - Datsyuk - Similar to Lidstrom, but more deserving. With a win, it will be only the 2nd player to win the award in 4 straight seasons.

Selke - Dasyuk - Gotta love a guy who plays on first line PP and PK and excels at both. He is the best defensive forward who is also a terrific offensive player.

Jack Adams - Sutter - When Brodeur went down, everyone figured NJ to sink. However, do to a very effective system, a few players having a career year, and the rebirth of Elias, NJ is stick a sick team. He wins as he has a huge hand in the discipline of that team.

Masterson - Sullivan - As previously posted, this is almost a no brainer.

Pearson - Ovechkin - Most often, the Hart and Pearson winners are the same guy. This year will be no different.

I will post who I "think" should win later. But one thing that is interesting:

No Sidney Crosby on most every list????? 2 years ago, you would have been attacked for posting such a thing.
Go to Top of Page

Guest0781
( )

Posted - 02/23/2009 :  12:46:47  Reply with Quote
What's the masterson
Go to Top of Page

Guest9633
( )

Posted - 02/23/2009 :  14:26:04  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest0781

What's the masterson

The Bill Masterson Memorial trophy is awarded to the the player which best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to hockey. The winner is selected by a poll of the Professional Hockey Writers' Association.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6177
( )

Posted - 02/24/2009 :  23:51:05  Reply with Quote
Hart- Malkin
Vezina- Thomas
Norris- Green
Calder- Mason
Lady Byng- Datsyuk
Selke- Datsyuk
Adams- Julien
Masterton- Sullivan
Pearson- Ovechkin
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2009 :  09:25:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now, Let's post who I think SHOULD win.

Hart - Ovechkin - Single Handedly brought a team into a winning Culture. Sure, is is surrounded with some pretty talented players but so is Mr. Crosby, Mr. Lecavalier and other greats. However, winning is a culture. As in Detroit and New Jersey. Washington is now a team that demands to win and that is all Ovechkin. MVP in the purest sense.

Vezina - Kipprusoff- There is not enough credit given to winning and too much credit given to GAA and save %. If you look at Kipper, he is 1st in wins, 1st in games played, 1st in shots against, still has a save % pretty close to .910 and a GAA under 3. Not only that, he has one of the highest win % in the league playing all those games. In my books, that is as good as you can get. And the fact that he carries these numbers playing more minutes and facing more shots than anyone else carries more weight to me. Kipper is the best goalie in the league this season.

Norris - Boyle - I think this season might be the best competition at the D position in years. You have some brilliant offensive d-man, brilliant d-man defensively, and some doing both excellent. You have some young guns flying on the scene and some older dogs that seem to never age on the ice. So who do you go with?? Well, I look at the player and the impact on the team. Dan Boyle has been phenominal all over the ice and there is no doubt that San Jose (who were a very good team before) has improved significantly since Mr. Boyle arrived in the Golden State.

Calder - Mason - Nothing much to say. Best rookie today. Some decent offensive players out there. But some have sizzled and some had injuries. I think that Brassard kid in Columbus had a shot until his injury.

Byng - Really, I don't care. I will say Datsyuk but it really doesn't matter.

Selke - Datsyuk - He will be the only 90+ point player who is also his teams best penalty killing forward. One of the few brilliant offensive players who works as hard or harder defensively than he does offensively.

Jack Adams - Sutter - I actually made a mistake on my original post. I originally had Sutter as who WILL win. Julien WILL win, Sutter SHOULD win. He has taken a team that many figured for dead after Brodeur's 4 month injury, but they actually stayed as good or better.

Masterson - Sullivan - I need say nothing more.

Pearson - Datsuyk - Take nothing away from Ovechkin, but Datsuyk is the best all around player in the league today. He does not have a weakness. He might be Bobby Orr who is not Canadian and can't skate as well. (Sorry Willus I know you will attack that one). I have become such a fan of Datsuyk this season. Brilliant hockey mind and more skill than anyone else out there. He is just awesome.

And I know that it wasn't on the original list :

King Clancy Award - (by definition) the player who best exemplifies leadership qualities on and off the ice and who has made a significant humanitarian contribution to his community.

George Laraque - There might not be a player in the NHL that gets more involved in the community and for charity than Laraque. He has worked tirelessly in each city he has played in still goes back to cities he longer is afiliated with to support the community in the offseason. And can you imagine how proud he would be??? That would be as important to Big George than winning the Cup.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page