Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 explain the draft Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Guest0487
( )

Posted - 03/16/2009 :  07:03:47  Reply with Quote
With the end of the season coming up me being a sens fan have only one the to look forward to the draft. Could somebody pleas explain to me how it works other than the bottom five going for first pick I'm not really sure who has a chance for which pick somebody please explain it for me.

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2009 :  10:36:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have found this with a little research:

The 14 teams that did not make the Stanley Cup playoffs, or who have acquired a first round selection through a trade, are given a weighted percentage to win the Draft Lottery. The team with the lowest amount of regular season points will be given the greatest percentage to win lottery and therefore, the greatest chance to win the first overall pick in the NHL Entry Draft.

Draft Drawing will determine the order for the 14 teams that did not make the playoffs. Teams are only able to move up four spots in the draft. Therefore, only the top five teams have an opportunity to get the first overall selection. Teams can only move down one spot.

The NHL also made a change regarding the last 4 picks in the NHL Entry Draft. The 4 Stanley Cup semifinalists, will receive the last four selections in every round of the draft, regardless of how they finished in the regular season. The conference final losers will select 27th and 28th, the Stanley Cup loser 29th and the Stanley Cup champion will select 30th.

10. 21st place, 2.1 percent chance. Lottery win moves draft selection spot up to sixth.

9. 22nd place, 2.7 percent chance. Lottery win moves draft selection spot up to fifth.

8. 23rd place, 3.6 percent chance. Lottery win moves draft selection spot up to fourth.

7. 24th place, 4.7 percent chance. Lottery win moves draft selection spot up to third.

6. 25th place, 6.2 percent chance. Lottery win moves draft selection spot up to second.

5. 26th place, 8.1 percent chance of securing the first overall pick.

4. 27th place, 10.7 percent chance of securing the first overall pick.

3. 28th place, 14.2 percent chance of securing the first overall pick.

2. 29th place, 18.8 percent chance of securing the first overall pick.

1. 30th place, 25 percent chance you’ll win the lottery and 23.2 percent chance teams from sixth last to 14th last win the lottery, for a total of 48.2 percent chance of securing the first overall pick.

If the season ended today, the Senators would be ranked 25th and would get the 2nd overall pick if they won the draft lotto. Even if they did worse, that 30th ranked team has almost a 50/50 shot at the 1st pick.
Go to Top of Page

spade632
Rookie

Canada
247 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2009 :  10:37:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*Edit*

Reply removed since Beans got to it first.

*Edit*

Edited by - spade632 on 03/16/2009 10:41:40
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2009 :  10:43:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Every team that does not make the playoffs is entered into the draft lottery. That would be 14 teams. The team that finishes 30th overall has the best chance at winning the lottery, Im not sure how the percentages break down but I can tell you that you can only move up 4 spots and the 30th team can only drop 1 spot. So if the team drafting 14th overall team wins the lottery they can only draft as high as 10th. If the team drafting 4th wins the lottery they move to 1st and the 10th overall team drops to 2nd pick. This happened in '04 when Washington won the lottery, went from 4th to 1st and picked Alex Ovechkin. OV could have been a penguin, but Pitt settled for Malkin at #2.

Hope that helps a bit.

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2009 :  10:48:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow, beans reply wasnt there when i started typing lol. his is much better anyways

Go to Top of Page

pensfan17
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
330 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2009 :  11:14:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They should do it like the NBA does, where all 14 teams that miss the playoffs have at least a slim chance at the #1 pick. Last year the ninth last Bulls got first pick.
Go to Top of Page

DangleFest89
Rookie

122 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2009 :  13:42:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well since its explained already i'll tell you who I think Ottawa should draft Ryan Ellis good puck mover very patience and even though he's short he doesn't take any crap either

Oh thats if they don't get pick 1 or 2 of course.

Edited by - DangleFest89 on 03/16/2009 13:43:17
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2009 :  13:45:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ill guarantee that the leafs finish in the 8th or 9th hole and trade up to fifth again.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page