Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 The desolate Montreal Canadians Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2009 :  12:50:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There have been very few brightspots in the Montreal Canadiens 100th season. The regression of young players like the Kostitsyn`s or the overhyped goalie of the futur Carey Price, Chris Higgens and tough guy defenseman Mike Komisarek is much more than a disapointment almost a disgrace. On a team carrying offensive talents like Alex Tanguay and Alexie Kovalev and solid secondary scoring in the likes of Saku Koivu, Andrei Kostitsyn, Thomas Plekanec and many more the habs leading scorer is defenseman Andrei Markov. As a habs fan it is sad to say the most impressive players in the habs lineup this year are the thrid line bangers. Who have done more than can be expected of them, only a few players come to mind when i try to find players who have progressed and have shown a will to win. Young defensman Josh Georges has shown a will to sacrafice everything to win but sadly his scoring prowness is well lets face it he has none. Infront of his own net he tries as hard as anyone but with a big physical player he simply cannot handle the situation. Then you have Tom Kostopulos perhaps one of the biggest hearts in the league but lets face it talent wise there is very little to be desired in this player. He has shown a willingness to drop the gloves with all commers this year and get beat up by pretty much all commers aswell, scoring a career high in 8 goals this season he has done more than his part. Finally we have the highlight of the Habs 100th Birthday, Maxim Lapierre with a career high in 14 goals playing in his first complete season in the NHL has shown great skills on the penalty kill and every now and again shown the scoring touch he has had in the minors and juniors. For example last night in a 5 - 2 loss to the toronto maple leafs, Lapierre had 2 goals yes that we all know but what was more impresive is the fact that he sent 8 shots to the net when our team superstar Kovalev only sent 1, obviously Lapierre will probably never topple the 25 goal mark in the NHL if he can even get to the 20 goal marker so is it just me or is it sad to say he is the montreal canadiens best player?

Pasty

Edited by - Pasty7 on 03/22/2009 15:12:53

goleafsgosjnb
Top Prospect

Canada
98 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2009 :  12:55:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Punctuation much?

lol agreed 110% On a related note, that bashing at the hands of my sad sack Leafs last night was pretty hilarious to watch.
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2009 :  09:04:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love it. Go Leafs Go!
Ive said it from the beginning of the year, this team was disgustingly overrated. Say goodbye to half the roster this summer.

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Go to Top of Page

freddyboy
Rookie

Canada
218 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2009 :  13:21:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pasty7

There have been very few brightspots in the Montreal Canadiens 100th season. The regression of young players like the Kostitsyn`s or the overhyped goalie of the futur Carey Price, Chris Higgens and tough guy defenseman Mike Komisarek is much more than a disapointment almost a disgrace. On a team carrying offensive talents like Alex Tanguay and Alexie Kovalev and solid secondary scoring in the likes of Saku Koivu, Andrei Kostitsyn, Thomas Plekanec and many more the habs leading scorer is defenseman Andrei Markov. As a habs fan it is sad to say the most impressive players in the habs lineup this year are the thrid line bangers. Who have done more than can be expected of them, only a few players come to mind when i try to find players who have progressed and have shown a will to win. Young defensman Josh Georges has shown a will to sacrafice everything to win but sadly his scoring prowness is well lets face it he has none. Infront of his own net he tries as hard as anyone but with a big physical player he simply cannot handle the situation. Then you have Tom Kostopulos perhaps one of the biggest hearts in the league but lets face it talent wise there is very little to be desired in this player. He has shown a willingness to drop the gloves with all commers this year and get beat up by pretty much all commers aswell, scoring a career high in 8 goals this season he has done more than his part. Finally we have the highlight of the Habs 100th Birthday, Maxim Lapierre with a career high in 14 goals playing in his first complete season in the NHL has shown great skills on the penalty kill and every now and again shown the scoring touch he has had in the minors and juniors. For example last night in a 5 - 2 loss to the toronto maple leafs, Lapierre had 2 goals yes that we all know but what was more impresive is the fact that he sent 8 shots to the net when our team superstar Kovalev only sent 1, obviously Lapierre will probably never topple the 25 goal mark in the NHL if he can even get to the 20 goal marker so is it just me or is it sad to say he is the montreal canadiens best player?

Pasty

i agree with you, and if Kostopoulos had a lil more luck and or talent this season, he would have probably 25-30 goals because he had a lot of chances. You mentionned third liner, with no offense, I think you have forgotten Latendresse, who have missed 19 games due to an shoulder injury and yet scored 11 goals and is most of the time an other guy who plays with lots of heart. You also didn't talk about one of the guy i like a lot, he's no more in the team because he wasn't in the plan, but Steve Begin had the Habs tattoed on his heart. He always came up big in games, work hard and tried the best he could. unfortunately he's gone.

I think that if Tanguay and Lang wouldn't have been injured so long, maybe the team would have been in a better position. But I wonder how such talented players as Kovalev, Kostitsin's brothers and Koivu managed to get more or less offensive production.

You also mentionne Josh Georges who is +12 (best of the team with Tanguay). He's not often on the scoresheet as you mentionned but he's not frequentely on the ice when the opposite team scores.

i love my habs, and will always but sometimes decision should be made and other shouldn't. But i'm just a fan, who's opinion will probably never be heard by the Head of the team.

joe is a god, if u dont agree....i dont care
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2009 :  15:44:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by freddyboy

quote:
Originally posted by Pasty7

Pasty

i agree with you, and if Kostopoulos had a lil more luck and or talent this season, he would have probably 25-30 goals because he had a lot of chances. You mentionned third liner, with no offense, I think you have forgotten Latendresse, who have missed 19 games due to an shoulder injury and yet scored 11 goals and is most of the time an other guy who plays with lots of heart. You also didn't talk about one of the guy i like a lot, he's no more in the team because he wasn't in the plan, but Steve Begin had the Habs tattoed on his heart. He always came up big in games, work hard and tried the best he could. unfortunately he's gone.

I think that if Tanguay and Lang wouldn't have been injured so long, maybe the team would have been in a better position. But I wonder how such talented players as Kovalev, Kostitsin's brothers and Koivu managed to get more or less offensive production.

You also mentionne Josh Georges who is +12 (best of the team with Tanguay). He's not often on the scoresheet as you mentionned but he's not frequentely on the ice when the opposite team scores.

i love my habs, and will always but sometimes decision should be made and other shouldn't. But i'm just a fan, who's opinion will probably never be heard by the Head of the team.

joe is a god, if u dont agree....i dont care

you are 100% right about Ti- Gui i judt left him out because he was out for a while but clearly our bestline is Lapierre latendress and Kosto i liked begin aswell but he is better off in dallas he will get to play and get a contract next year which he more than deserves

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

Thrasher
Rookie

Canada
155 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2009 :  16:10:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And too top it all off, all the off ice stories that can be followed. The mob connections, firing of a coach, Carey Price and his "party boy" pictures. All the excitment of getting Vinny, never really panned out, in fact no moves at the deadline, Matt Schneider excluded(before). The year started out so promising, many predicted that they would be first in the east, but all the other stories took the toll. What happened to Carey Price? Too much pressure perhaps? Halak has been a bright spot i would say, tho the rest of the team resembles a black hole. Too bad, would have been a story book season if they were able to win the cup, even though i think this whole centennial thing was taken a little far...

I Promise I didn't give her the STD, I'm not a sharing person.
Go to Top of Page

Guest0942
( )

Posted - 03/23/2009 :  17:40:08  Reply with Quote
I haven't followed the Habs much lately but it seems that their crash coincided with Lang's injury. I never would have thought that Lang was that important a cog on the team.

I bet Kovalev plays in Russia next year and if not then at a much reduced salary from what he is earning now. Doesn't he realize this is his contract year?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2009 :  04:42:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, Montreal makes me scratch my head, that's for sure. A solid offensive line-up on paper, a decent enough defense, and two very good young goalies . . . how could they not be in the playoffs?

Koivu isn't getting any younger, and hasn't been able to carry the team through difficult times as he has in the past, and that is one of the big differences . . . that, and almost to a man everyone playing below expectations. Sure, they could use more grit, but so could a few other teams in the east - so using that as the only excuse doesn't wash with me.

It's the dressing room. They need a shake-up big-time, and only some major moves in the off-season will change the attitude they have right now . . . that, and a coach who is a taskmaster.

As a Leaf fan, here's hoping they don't change much!

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Guest4271
( )

Posted - 03/24/2009 :  06:29:59  Reply with Quote
bet they wish they still had christobal huet and micheal ryder in the lineup. two players who are having very decent years.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9538
( )

Posted - 03/24/2009 :  07:28:51  Reply with Quote
And Souray or Streit anyone? At least one..
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2009 :  08:43:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And Ribeiro, man the team we could've had.
Go to Top of Page

MSC
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
601 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2009 :  09:57:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and chelios and ...and...and...and....it works for any team in the league not just the habs.
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2009 :  10:04:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ribiero is a bitch

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page