Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Stanley Cup back in Canada? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2009 :  15:41:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Who do you think will be the next Canadian Hockey Team to win the Stanley Cup?

Doesn't have to be this year or next year but in the future who do you think will be the next Canadian hockey team to go all the way and win?

Choices:

Montreal Canadiens
Toronto Maple Leafs
Ottawa Senators
Edmonton Oilers
Calgary Flames
Vancouver Canucks

Reeder17
Rookie

Canada
112 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2009 :  17:22:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, Hanley how ******* are you? We know you voted for Toronto.
By the way, was that Toskala in Gerber's equipment going after the ref and getting suspended?

Crosby is not the Lord & Savior of the NHL, get over yourself McGuire.

Gretzky has never once high-sticked a member of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Mod edit: Careful Reeder. No need for the insults.

Edited by - willus3 on 03/25/2009 18:23:47
Go to Top of Page

Guest6009
( )

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  04:58:02  Reply with Quote
Toronto lol
Go to Top of Page

Reeder17
Rookie

Canada
112 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  08:21:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very true.
(CONTENT REMOVED - SPAM)
This site is good at giving analysis on stuff like that!
And has a great forum!

Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  10:13:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know it sounds f***ed but I really think that the leafs WILL be the next canadian team to win the cup. Calgary tried and failed in 04, Edmonton failed 06, Ottawa faile din 07. After Vancouver fails this year and Montreal in a year or two, Toronto will finally get the job done. ^_^

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Go to Top of Page

Thrasher
Rookie

Canada
155 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  11:20:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Leafs won't, because, well, they wont. Ottawa, nope. Montreal will probably need to rebuild after this season, im sure they are losing some players to free agency. I don't really know what Edmonton is doing, they always seem like they are rebuilding now. Vancouver might in a couple years, they have some good young talent and if they can sign back the twins. Calgary has the best shot of winning it this year and probably the next couple years. They have a ton of talent on the front end, with even at least 3 solid scoring lines, arguably one of the deepest forwards in the league. Defense is solid, for the most part. Phanuef makes the highlight reels for all the wrong reasons these days, but for the most part they are all fairly reliable. Goaltending is a non issue, we all know how good Kipper is. And with all the young talent they have, Iginla in his prime, hopefully sign back Mike, they could be the next team to win the cup, nevermind Canadian team. But i'm a flamer at heart, so this might all be false hope. The west is looking very competitive this year, anything could happen. Heres hoping Calgary vs Edmonton this year. When you live in between, its easy to go to the red mile, or hit up Gretzky drive. Can't wait.

I Promise I didn't give her the STD, I'm not a sharing person.

Edited by - Thrasher on 03/26/2009 11:21:29
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  11:46:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thrasher

Leafs won't, because, well, they wont. Ottawa, nope. Montreal will probably need to rebuild after this season, im sure they are losing some players to free agency. I don't really know what Edmonton is doing, they always seem like they are rebuilding now. Vancouver might in a couple years, they have some good young talent and if they can sign back the twins. Calgary has the best shot of winning it this year and probably the next couple years. They have a ton of talent on the front end, with even at least 3 solid scoring lines, arguably one of the deepest forwards in the league. Defense is solid, for the most part. Phanuef makes the highlight reels for all the wrong reasons these days, but for the most part they are all fairly reliable. Goaltending is a non issue, we all know how good Kipper is. And with all the young talent they have, Iginla in his prime, hopefully sign back Mike, they could be the next team to win the cup, nevermind Canadian team. But i'm a flamer at heart, so this might all be false hope. The west is looking very competitive this year, anything could happen. Heres hoping Calgary vs Edmonton this year. When you live in between, its easy to go to the red mile, or hit up Gretzky drive. Can't wait.

I think that any team save Montreal or Toronto have an equal chance. And taking nothing away from Montreal or Toronto, but neither have the foundation of players in the near future to challenge for the Cup. As much as it pains me to say, Calgary and Vancouver have the most likely recipe for the win. If you look back at the past Cup winners, a few things are consistant. Namely. 2 solid scoring lines, a capable shut down line, an energy 4th line, stable-puckmoving defense, and good goaltending. Both teams have that. If I had to pick one over the other, I would say Calgary as they have better coaching.

Montreal is rebuilding after this season and TO is already in their plan. Legitimately, they are 2+ years from serious contention. Looking at Edmonton and Ottawa, they are just a few pieces away. Literally, 2 top 6 forwards for Edmonton and a puck moving d-man for Ottawa and they are right there.

Calgary
Vancouver
Ottawa
Edmonton
Toronto
Montreal

In that order.
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  13:58:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beans, im telling you that the leafs will be the next canadian team to win the cup. It may be 10 years from now, but they will be next.
Im not going to rationalize it or try to support it with facts, its just a gut feeling.

For all those who prefer some sort of evidence, refer to beans post above, lol.

Go LEafers!

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  14:38:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

quote:

I think that any team save Montreal or Toronto have an equal chance. And taking nothing away from Montreal or Toronto, but neither have the foundation of players in the near future to challenge for the Cup. As much as it pains me to say, Calgary and Vancouver have the most likely recipe for the win. If you look back at the past Cup winners, a few things are consistant. Namely. 2 solid scoring lines, a capable shut down line, an energy 4th line, stable-puckmoving defense, and good goaltending. Both teams have that. If I had to pick one over the other, I would say Calgary as they have better coaching.

Montreal is rebuilding after this season and TO is already in their plan. Legitimately, they are 2+ years from serious contention. Looking at Edmonton and Ottawa, they are just a few pieces away. Literally, 2 top 6 forwards for Edmonton and a puck moving d-man for Ottawa and they are right there.

Calgary
Vancouver
Ottawa
Edmonton
Toronto
Montreal

In that order.

uhhhh did you seriously put montreal last? rebuilding? they will be adding a few players but are very very far from a rebuild, Calgary and Vancouver yess are ahead of montreal but the habs are well ahead of toronto and edmonton

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

Guest0480
( )

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  15:07:58  Reply with Quote
I honestly think Kipper is the most overrated goalie and he will choke in the playoffs well lets not say choke lets just say play a little worst then normal
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  15:30:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pasty, let me explain. I mean no disrespect to the Habs, but I don't think they have the team to beat nearly anyone in the East this year. They would be in tough with every team in the playoffs this season.

Secondly, take a look at their players for next year. Here is a list of the UFA's and RFA's that Montreal has to deal in the off season:

Tangauy, Koivu, Kovalev, Lang, Higgins, Plecanek, Kostopoulos, D 'Agostini, Chipchura, Stewart, Dandenault, Boullion, Komisarek, Schnieder, Brisbois.

Montreal only has 12 players under contract after this season. That means 1/2 of their team has the potential to be new to the team. They will not keep all the player they have today. In fact, many of them I think will be gone.

That is why I stand firm on my projections. I would have Montreal behind Toronto because TO has more draft picks piled up for the next few years than Montreal and I think that Burke will re-build that team quicker than Montreal will re-build. The only team I would put behind Montreal is Vancouver if they lose the Sedin twins in the off season.

Ottawa, Edmonton, and Calgary have their key players signed for a few seasons yet (other than Cammallerri in Calgary) so they have more of a chance in my books.

I mean no disrespect, but when you have 15 players as UFA's or RFA's, a weak draft position, and an average to weak UFA market all in one year, I just don't like that team's chances.

That's the exact situation that Montreal is in.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  15:58:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would you believe I agree with you Beans?

The only change is - I put Vancouver ahead this year, because of Sundin being there and Luongo playing great. I think Luongo is the kind of goalie that can a win a series or two all on his own, and that is a powerful weapon in the playoffs. I give Vancouver the slight edge in defence, and big edge in goal. Calgary has the better offense, but we all know what wins most of the time in the playoffs.

This year:
Vancouver
Calgary
Edmonton
Montreal
Toronto

The best teams with average goaltending can fall to a shallow team with amazing goaltending.

Next year and beyond, however, it all changes . . . and I put it in this order:
Calgary
Edmonton
Toronto
Vancouver
Montreal

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Thrasher
Rookie

Canada
155 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  16:02:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Calgary
Vancouver
Ottawa
Edmonton
Toronto
Montreal

In that order.

Calgary
Vancouver
Edmonton
Ottawa
Montreal/Toronto

I think that Edmonton has a better chance, they are still very young and getting better. Yes Ottawa has their players locked up, but look at how they are doing this year. They need secondary scoring like Atlanta needs a new GM. Goaltending situation is probably better now with Pascal, but still other things they need to worry about. I put Toronto and Montreal as a tie, whichever GM can fix his team the fastest, cause both of them need a makeover. Toronto already is, so they might have a head start. 3-5 years i think and Toronto could be a contender if they draft well and actually play their young picks. (Bobby Ryan). I wonder how many players are going to leave Montreal. Could be interesting.

Slozo, when did Ottawa leave the league?

Edited by - Thrasher on 03/26/2009 16:03:18
Go to Top of Page

goleafsgosjnb
Top Prospect

Canada
98 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  16:11:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I vote:

#1Calgary- They have a solid all-round team and Iginla is a warrior
#2 Vancouver- They will be a threat as long as they have a half-decent team and Luongo. i don't care who you are, I would NOT want to play Luongo in the playoffs

The next 3 depend on free agents and talent development, but I'd go wth...

#3 Montreal- I don't think they deserve to be a playoff team this year, but I think they will have a reload this summer, not a rebuild. They will be back
#4 Edmonton- They have a lot of young talent, they DO need a goaltender.
#5 Toronto- They are a LONG way to go, but on the right path.
#6 Ottawa- I wanted to put this team as high as #3 but this is not ranking the teams, it is ranking likelihood at the cup, and I don't think the Sens will ever be good enough with this nucleus. Too much money locked up in too few players. I even think they could win a round in the playoffs next year perhaps, but I don't think anyone would pick them to win it all and the team they have now will be there for awhile.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  18:09:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Edmonton needs a goaltender?? I disagree. Sure, Roli is a UFA at the end of this year, but I would suggest he is highly likely to re-sign. Sure, he is no spring chicken anymore, but he is still as good or better than any other goalie on the UFA list for next season.

I still think he has a season or two left in his. He's got a .916 save percentage, 2.75 GAA, faced the 7th most shots in the league, and is 7 games over .500 on a team that is 6 games over .500.

As most any Oiler fan will atest, keeping the puck out of the net is not the Oilers problem. Most nights, Roloson is the best player on the ice for the Oilers and is as good as any goalie playing in the league today. The problem is putting the puck in the net. And, I think Vishnovsky's injury was a huge lose.

Honestly speaking, the Oilers are 2 top 6 forwards from competing for the division. The defense is solid and has produced their share of offense. Edmonton has the third highest scoring group of defensemen to this point (behind only Detroit and San Jose). However, the forward group is another story. They are adaquate at best, producing average compared to the rest of the league (ranked 16th as forward group is point production).

Edmonton needs some scoring support and some consitancy. The rest of the pieces are there.
Go to Top of Page

goleafsgosjnb
Top Prospect

Canada
98 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  18:36:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You might be right about the Oilers, I don't follow them that closely, I just didn't think he would be much use to the Oilers following this season.

One thing is for sure, they have the best young team in the country. I loved the pickup of Patrick O' Sullivan too. A veteran forward would also be on the ol' wishlist.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  19:26:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the Oilers can keep Kotalik in the off season, they can spend some cash and go for a bonified 1st line player. That would make their 1st line Horcoff, Hemsky and XXXX. 2nd line would be Gagner, O'Sullivan, Kotalik. I would put those two lines against most others in the league.

There are also rumors that Bouwmeester is looking to play in a hockey market and supposidly, Calgary and Edmonton are the front runners. If that is the case, I would suggest that the Oilers will attempt to move Visnovsky, Penner, and maybe even Horcoff for a superduper type star. Kovalchuk would look good in Blue and Orange.

That's why I think the Oilers are in a decent position. They have most of the pieces of the puzzle already in place. They can take a look at the offseason to upgrade and go after 1 big fish and they will be a very dangerous team(on paper of course).
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2009 :  04:48:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thrasher - "Slozo, when did Ottawa leave the league?"

Freud would have a field day with me, lol.

For a myriad of reasons, I really don't think Ottawa will ever win the Stanley Cup . . . but I certainly think they should be included in there somewhere. My bad. For next year and beyond then, since Ottawa isn't getting in the playoffs this year:
1.Calgary
2.Edmonton
3. Ottawa
4. Toronto
5. Vancouver
6. Montreal

Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2009 :  04:54:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

If the Oilers can keep Kotalik in the off season, they can spend some cash and go for a bonified 1st line player. That would make their 1st line Horcoff, Hemsky and XXXX. 2nd line would be Gagner, O'Sullivan, Kotalik. I would put those two lines against most others in the league.

There are also rumors that Bouwmeester is looking to play in a hockey market and supposidly, Calgary and Edmonton are the front runners. If that is the case, I would suggest that the Oilers will attempt to move Visnovsky, Penner, and maybe even Horcoff for a superduper type star. Kovalchuk would look good in Blue and Orange.

That's why I think the Oilers are in a decent position. They have most of the pieces of the puzzle already in place. They can take a look at the offseason to upgrade and go after 1 big fish and they will be a very dangerous team(on paper of course).

I don't have time to counter about the habs gotta get out the door to work,, but just i side note i good player for the oil and maybe they could get him cheap because of this year injuries would be Tanguay,, personaly i would love to keep him here in blue blanc et rouge but look at his stats this year he is almost a point per game and a team leading plus 12 41 games played 37 points,,, instead of spending big money on a super star a top tier 2 player for cheap might be a better bet

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

Thrasher
Rookie

Canada
155 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2009 :  18:29:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

Thrasher - "Slozo, when did Ottawa leave the league?"

Freud would have a field day with me, lol.

For a myriad of reasons, I really don't think Ottawa will ever win the Stanley Cup . . . but I certainly think they should be included in there somewhere. My bad. For next year and beyond then, since Ottawa isn't getting in the playoffs this year:
1.Calgary
2.Edmonton
3. Ottawa
4. Toronto
5. Vancouver
6. Montreal

No problem, i agree, they will never win lol. But why is Vancouver so low on your list? With Luongo in net they are a threat to win any night, and they have a decent group of young players. But you saying that Ottawa will never win, and you put them ahead of the Canucks? Im so confused. They don't seem that bad to me.

Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2009 :  01:28:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Reeder17

Hey, Hanley how ******* are you? We know you voted for Toronto.
By the way, was that Toskala in Gerber's equipment going after the ref and getting suspended?

Mod edit: Careful Reeder. No need for the insults.

I never said it would be for this year or even next year, what I was asking is who do you think will be the next Canadian hockey team to win the Stanley Cup... I truly do believe Toronto will be the next Canadian hockey team to win the Stanley Cup, could be next year or 5 years from now or even 15 years from now but I think they'll be the next..

lmao no that wasn't Toskala in Gerbers equipment. you see if Toskala was in Gerbers equipment Toronto would have lost that game. Gerbers suspension was ridiculous he barely even touched the ref if he even touched him at all check it out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs6im8udypw&feature=related

here is a clip of Cujo about 10 years ago, you can see he was pissed but you can tell he never meant to tackle the ref.. It's clear he slipped and fell and took the ref down http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVGSAN1fIm4&feature=PlayList&p=CE0A042F7F18B422&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=23
Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2009 :  01:34:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pasty7

quote:

quote:

Calgary
Vancouver
Ottawa
Edmonton
Toronto
Montreal

In that order.

uhhhh did you seriously put montreal last? rebuilding? they will be adding a few players but are very very far from a rebuild, Calgary and Vancouver yess are ahead of montreal but the habs are well ahead of toronto and edmonton

Pasty

not as long as they have Price, Kovalev, the Kostitsyns and Koivu on there team they won't win a cup and Toronto definitely has a better chance than Ottawa

Edited by - hanley6 on 03/30/2009 01:36:52
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2009 :  04:54:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thrasher - to answer your question, I have to be clear: my last list is for next year and beyond. This year, I have Vancouver at #1.

Vancouver is stuck with the Sedin twins, first off, and they will have to resign them. Yes, they have Luongo, and like you say - can win any given night on his goaltending. But after that, I see a team that will break up pretty fast in the offseason, and I don't see guys like Burrows becoming the superstar leader they need. And I am not sure they have the money to spend on getting one after signing the twins . . . if they sign them (see: they are playing great down the stretch, and if they continue that in the playoffs, the price skyrockets) so I see them taking a big step backwards next year and beyond.

That's just my prediction, however, and who knows who they sign in the offseason.

As for Ottawa . . . I have to slag them - I'm a Leafs fan. In the end though, like you say - they are not so far away from a solid team. Some tougher D, maybe a better passing D-man as well, and a solid 2nd line center - and they are stanley cup contenders with a healthy Leclaire in net.

I may be a bit of a homer, but if you look at the direction the Leafs are taking with an emerging defensive system being taught to a very young defensive group, and a whole different outlook in terms of work ethic, future looks brighter. Add in the fact that I predict Burke will make a big splash in the offseason with a couple of big signings, and I think this will be a Leafs team that may be an emerging power in two years.

Or, I could be dreaming again

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page