Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 How would you rank these 3 d men Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Guest0110
( )

Posted - 03/30/2009 :  14:34:00  Reply with Quote
In my opinion the 3 best defence to recently play are Nidermeyer Lidstrom and Stevens how would you rank them

Guest0110
( )

Posted - 03/30/2009 :  14:36:18  Reply with Quote
1.Lidstrom
2.Stevens
3.Nidermeyer
Go to Top of Page

lyall
PickupHockey Pro

360 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2009 :  16:58:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can't compare Stevens with Niedermayer and Lidstrom. He played a totally different brand of hockey.

"I Was So Happy I Gave Kerry Fraser A Hug" -Bill Guerin
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2009 :  04:45:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, it's difficult to compare them as they all had different styles of playing (especially Stevens), but I can certainly rank them in terms of who I'd want to build a team around:

1. Stevens
2. Niedermayer
3. Lidstrom

As offensively gifted as Lidstrom is/was, that is a commodity that is far easier to get than the leadership and physical play that my top two gave on a game to game basis.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Guest9298
( )

Posted - 03/31/2009 :  06:03:49  Reply with Quote
1. Lidstrom
2. Niedermeyer
3. Stevens

Lidstrom is the best defenseman spanning (roughly) the past 15-20 in my opinion. The picture of consistency. Everyone seems to not like him because a) he doesn't hit b) he's Swedish. But he is a big reason Detroit has been such a rock of a team for years. Stevens was a good, tough D, but Jersey is all about Brodeur and got along just fine without him. I agree it's hard to compare the two, but I'll take high points, low penalty minutes, AND great defensive zone play and +/- over low points, high penalty minutes, great defensive zone play and a truckload of bodychecks. If not for Yzerman, Lidstrom would have been captain a decade earlier too. Niedermeyer is damn good, but he's Lidstrom-esque and I'd argue slightly behind Lidstrom in each of his categories.
Go to Top of Page

Guest5382
( )

Posted - 03/31/2009 :  11:33:43  Reply with Quote
Curious, Lidstrom and Nieds are similar styled players. Also, everyone harps that Lidstrom lucky because he is with really good teams and players on Detroit. But Nieds has played on really strong teams and with really good players while in NJ and ANA.

So why is Nieds getting the benefit of the doubt while Lidstrom getting shafted?

Stevens is just a solid D-man. I put him in the defensive defenseman rather than the all around D-man.

My opinion would be 1. Lidstrom 2. Nieds 3. Stevens.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6384
( )

Posted - 04/01/2009 :  01:48:21  Reply with Quote
I'm going to hybrid these 3 players and create a new one: Chris Pronger. He has the leadership abilities, the offensive talent, the big hits and physical play. Sure he isn't first in any of those categories, but overall he is the most complete player.

Assuming I get a big X for avoiding the original question, here's my answer.
1. Lidstrom
2. Stevens
3. Nieds
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page