Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Mac T's illegal stick check Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

tbar
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
376 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  11:33:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why didn't Mac T make the same call yesterday? I am sure somebody on th Ducks plays with an illegal stick. It was a 1 goal game at that point if I am correct.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  17:55:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tbar

Why didn't Mac T make the same call yesterday? I am sure somebody on th Ducks plays with an illegal stick. It was a 1 goal game at that point if I am correct.

I would assume two reasons for this. Firstly, he didn't have any kind of information saying anyone was using an illegal stick. Secondly, if he was to make the same call again and have it backfire, he would not have made it off the bench. There would have been 18000 people ready to lay a beating.

As a side note, I was at the game against the Sharks yesterday and I made a point during the 1st intermission to ask people about the call. I didn't keep exact numbers, but I would say 3 out of every 4 people I talked to said similar things. Basically, right call in a tough spot that didn't work. Most of them said they would have done the same thing.

I know that doesn't mean anything, but I wanted to see if I was on glue for my opinion. Obviously, others share my opinion.

The thing to me is that this call is either right or wrong in all situations. You can't say it's a good call in the 1st period but not in the 3rd or a good call in game 15 but not game 75.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9233
( )

Posted - 04/04/2009 :  12:07:33  Reply with Quote
Bad Call, like someone said earlier the Risk vs. Reward was not there, it seems to me like McT is just "going through the motions" this year (calling players out in a very insincere way, not to mention he was overusing it and therefore diminishing it's value), I wouldn't be suprised if he wanted out of Edmonton next season and performed sub-par this year to get out of any contracts... seems that way to me at least. That 10-2 loss at Rexall is burned in my memory...
Go to Top of Page

Guest0521
( )

Posted - 04/05/2009 :  10:53:11  Reply with Quote
I would just like to point out one thing about this topic that nobody has mentioned yet. Don't you think that if MacT hadn't called for the stick check, that Anaheim would've called a time out? Everyone talks about momentum, but a 2 minutes time out is a long time when you're standing on the ice waiting for a face off. The adrenaline goes down, start to feel the heavy legs after playing 3 periods, I've been there (not at an nhl level, obviously). There is no doubt in my mind that Anaheim would've called one, to let their players rest, regroup and come up with a plan or play, and to take away some of the momentum.

i personally think that even with momentum on their side, with less than 2 minutes left the odds of scoring 5 on 5 are extremely low. But there are a few points to think about when considering if the Oilers made the right call.
1)If he's right, they get a powerplay. But then Anaheim can ice the puck without consequence, so you don't really want to pull the goalie knowing they can take a shot at it as soon as they touch the puck. But you don't have to pull the goalie until the last 45 seconds or so because you've already got a man advantage.
2) There are different kinds of man-advantages. There's the 6 on 5, pull your goalie one, but then you've got 5 bodies to try to get the puck through. Or, you can try for the 5 on 4, less bodies, better tactical advantage, more ice to move the puck around. Turn it into a 6 on 4 by pulling the goalie, have an extra guy to hang around the net on the opposite side of where you shoot the puck from to bang in a rebound.
3) Or you don't call for the stick check, pull your goalie, Anaheim can't freely ice the puck, but they call a time out to kill your momentum.

To me, the choice is obvious. With 'good information' you have to make the call. Best odds, most options, keeps you in control of the game. Didn't work out this time.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page