Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Greatest Maple Leaf goalie of All-Time Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rambo2305
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
546 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  12:35:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Simple, who is the greatest goalie in Leafs history?

If the goalie that's greatest in your opinion isn't listed, let us know who it is!

"Everytime you step out onto the ice, it's a clean slate, anyone can win"

Choices:

Felix Potvin
Johnny Bower
Terry Sawchuck
Curtis Joseph
Ed Belfour
Other

Guest8228
( )

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  12:41:32  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rambo2305

Simple, who is the greatest goalie in Leafs history?

If the goalie that's greatest in your opinion isn't listed, let us know who it is!

Vesa Toskala for sure. Great goalie on a lousy team.
Go to Top of Page

Guest0433
( )

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  13:41:11  Reply with Quote
Vesa Toskala
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  13:48:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Toskala....you've got be joking. (Im sure you are, that can't be a serious reply.)

Without a doubt, Johnny Bower. Sawchuck was great, but he spent alot of his career with other teams, I still think of Sawchuck as a red wing. Johnny Bower won 4 cups as a leaf and played well into his 40's without a mask. A close 2nd for me would have to be Turk Broda, some may even rank him as #1. I just find Bower to be what I imagine a goalie to be. A tough, grizzled old guy, who is as humble as he is kind, and isn't scared of anything out there on the ice, not even a bobby hull slapshot. Plus, he played in the minors for like 10 years before he even had a sniff of the NHL.

Broda does get bonus points for fighting in WW2 and winning cups with the leafs as well.

If I was picking someone a little more recent I'd go with Cujo. Without him those Quinn teams would never have even been close to going to the conference finals twice.

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Go to Top of Page

DangleFest89
Rookie

122 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  13:49:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gotta go with Vesa Toskala as well
Go to Top of Page

tbar
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
376 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  14:44:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Toskala Im sure Hanley will agree with this.
Go to Top of Page

Mikey Boy
Rookie

Canada
103 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  15:41:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
who cares!

MP
Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  16:22:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd have to go with Johnny Bower, Terry Sawchuck, Jacques Plante, Turk Broda best goalies to ever suit up in the Leafs Blue and White...

I haven't been alive to see them play... from what I've seen I'll have to go in order best to worst Felix Potvin, Ed Belfour, Curtis Joseph, Mike Palmateer,Grant Fuhr, Peter Ing, Darren Puppa, Ken Wregget, Al Bester, Andrew Raycroft, Vesa Toskala

Edited by - hanley6 on 04/21/2009 16:28:38
Go to Top of Page

Rambo2305
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
546 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  05:09:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Completely forgot about Plante...but you have to admit that Toskala is better then we're giving him credit for. A few factors to consider, the Leafs D is horrible, our forwards are always slow coming back. Also, he played most, if not all of the 08/09 season with an injured groin. In 07/08, he was solid considering he faced 40+ shots more then any other goalie in the league. As bad as Raycroft was, does anyone remember how bad Tom Barrasso was when he played like 9 games for us in 2001-2002? He had a GAA of nearly 5. But Trevor Kidd takes the title of "WORST"...

Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  06:33:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mikey Boy

who cares!

MP

Leaf fans do (duh..)

Go to Top of Page

Antroman
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
537 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  09:02:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Trying to compare goalies from different eras is quite impossible. Turk Broda was one of the greatest goalies ever but by todays standards he would be lucky to make Senior A. The question should probably read, who is your favourite Leaf goalie of all time? I personally do not have a real fav but Palmateer was certainly entertaining. If this question was directed toward Hab goalies the answer would be so simple, I hate them all. If I had to pick a fav though, it would be Carey Price, because he can't stop a beachball.
Go to Top of Page

Guest2337
( )

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  09:09:06  Reply with Quote
terry sawchuck and johnny bower 2 of the best that ever played the game. toskala would have done good if he had a team with him. ed belfur was a superstar too
Go to Top of Page

mard65
Top Prospect

24 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  09:16:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Honestly, Leaf fans have to be the most pathetic lot on earth. The playoffs are in full swing and we're being asked who the best Leaf goalie is of all time! Give me a break! Who cares.......
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  13:27:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mard65

Honestly, Leaf fans have to be the most pathetic lot on earth. The playoffs are in full swing and we're being asked who the best Leaf goalie is of all time! Give me a break! Who cares.......

Again, LEAF FANS DO!

Im f***ing watching every game in the playoffs alright, I follow the NHL as a whole ALL the time. The leafs are my favorite team and ill talk about them whenever the hell I want to. Nobody said you had to join in on the discussion. Im so sick of people hating on leaf fans, we love our team alright. If you dont like it, than go fly a kite.

Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  13:32:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Antroman

Trying to compare goalies from different eras is quite impossible. Turk Broda was one of the greatest goalies ever but by todays standards he would be lucky to make Senior A. The question should probably read, who is your favourite Leaf goalie of all time? I personally do not have a real fav but Palmateer was certainly entertaining. If this question was directed toward Hab goalies the answer would be so simple, I hate them all. If I had to pick a fav though, it would be Carey Price, because he can't stop a beachball.

While I see what youre getting at when it comes to comparing eras, the same could be said for a ton of legendary players. You have to evaluate them in the era they played in. Broda and Bower kicked ass in the eras they played in and won multiple championships. That (for me) puts them above the rest. It was an even playing field then, just like it is now. Would Rocket Richard really be as good now as he was then? Probably not. But then again, they didnt have the benefit of modern training regimins, multimillion dollar contracts and superb coaching techniques and systems.

I still can't beleive Toskalas name has even come up in this discussion.

Go to Top of Page

mard65
Top Prospect

24 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  14:09:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What's the matter Matt? Did I hurt your feelings. I'm glad you're watching the playoffs because you Leaf fans have to get your fix of playoff hockey somewhere. My problem with this stupid poll is with the playoffs in full swing, who other than pathetic Leafs fans would bother with a poll on the greatest goalie in the history of a mostly mediocre franchise. Oh I forgot you have won the Cup before. Problem is it was long before you and most of the other loser Leaf fans on here were born.....
Go to Top of Page

pokermatt12
Top Prospect

Canada
65 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  19:33:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey mard, clearly you're new to this forum. When there is a discussion about hockey, it is not limited to the teams remaining in the playoffs. I'm pretty sure we can talk about and have our own opinion about anything and everything... as long as it's about hockey. So stop trying to cause trouble, and give it up. If you are not a Leafs fan and don't want to talk about it then dont participate in this discussion. I'm not trying to be rude here but at least have a little respect for people who have been on this forum a while and want to talk about and discuss what they want to discuss!
Go to Top of Page

Rambo2305
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
546 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2009 :  05:26:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

What's the matter Matt? Did I hurt your feelings. I'm glad you're watching the playoffs because you Leaf fans have to get your fix of playoff hockey somewhere. My problem with this stupid poll is with the playoffs in full swing, who other than pathetic Leafs fans would bother with a poll on the greatest goalie in the history of a mostly mediocre franchise. Oh I forgot you have won the Cup before. Problem is it was long before you and most of the other loser Leaf fans on here were born.....

Ok, the Leafs may not have made the playoffs, yet according to Forbes, the Leafs are still the most valuable team in hockey ($524 Million). Why you ask? Probably because of the market they play in, Leafs Nation may be stubborn at times but we'll always support the Leafs. Along with the Wings in Detroit, support for the Leafs in Toronto is second to none. Don't even comment about Habs fans, they cheer when they win, and riot and boo when they don't. The Leafs are supported and talked about all year round. I see a Leaf jersey at every Jays game I go to. Also, when you talk about "storied franchises"...the Leafs are talked about just as much as the Canadiens. So if Leafs fans would rather talk about there team rather then the other teams in the league, respect the fact they aren't bandwagon jumpers and riding another team into the playoffs. The Leafs are still priority in Toronto and anywhere else Leafs fans call home...

Mard, which team do you support? Wait, nevermind, I know, the Sharks were first place so your a Sharks fan right?

Go to Top of Page

Reeder17
Rookie

Canada
112 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2009 :  06:36:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Ok, the Leafs may not have made the playoffs, yet according to Forbes, the Leafs are still the most valuable team in hockey ($524 Million). Why you ask? Probably because of the market they play in, Leafs Nation may be stubborn at times but we'll always support the Leafs. Along with the Wings in Detroit, support for the Leafs in Toronto is second to none. Don't even comment about Habs fans, they cheer when they win, and riot and boo when they don't. The Leafs are supported and talked about all year round. I see a Leaf jersey at every Jays game I go to. Also, when you talk about "storied franchises"...the Leafs are talked about just as much as the Canadiens. So if Leafs fans would rather talk about there team rather then the other teams in the league, respect the fact they aren't bandwagon jumpers and riding another team into the playoffs. The Leafs are still priority in Toronto and anywhere else Leafs fans call home...

Mard, which team do you support? Wait, nevermind, I know, the Sharks were first place so your a Sharks fan right?

Typical Leaf fan defense. It don't matter we suck we make the most money. Well guess what who cares...you can't buy a cup.

Crosby is not the Lord & Savior of the NHL, get over yourself McGuire.
Gretzky has never once high-sticked a member of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

ADMIN EDIT - CONTENT REMOVED - SPAM
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2009 :  08:36:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont care if they make the most money. I know better than any leaf hater how mediocre the team has been for a long time. The thing is, we aren't bandwagon fans. I will always be a leaf fan, i grew up in Toronto, and my family have been leaf fans for generations ok?

Money has nothing to do with this. Leaf fans are loyal to a fault, but thats what makes us great. Look at other fans across the country, they are on and off the bandwagon every year. Nuck fans especially. Hab fans would execute people in the organization if they could, if they don't win the cup they cry, cry and cry.

We have endured a ton of pain, and will continue to until the day they win. Look at cubs fans, look at redsox fans up until '04, what about blackhawk fans? These are real fans, just like leaf fans. (not saying other fans of other teams arent real fans as well, its just really tough to support a losing team, but when they do win it's all worth it)

Let me set this straight as well, quite frankly, I may have overreacted with my post above, I let me online emotions get the best of me and it probably looks stupid. But the fact of the matter is, If you hate the leafs and leaf fans, go ahead, whatever. More tickets for me.
Burke will not let the leafs be an embarassment for very long.

Go to Top of Page

Guest8228
( )

Posted - 04/23/2009 :  08:39:29  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hanley6

I'd have to go with Johnny Bower, Terry Sawchuck, Jacques Plante, Turk Broda best goalies to ever suit up in the Leafs Blue and White...

I haven't been alive to see them play... from what I've seen I'll have to go in order best to worst Felix Potvin, Ed Belfour, Curtis Joseph, Mike Palmateer,Grant Fuhr, Peter Ing, Darren Puppa, Ken Wregget, Al Bester, Andrew Raycroft, Vesa Toskala

No, Toskala is definitely better than all of the ones you have listed.
Go to Top of Page

mard65
Top Prospect

24 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2009 :  08:48:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Matt - last time I checked this is a free site and I'm entitled to my opinion. I've kept my language clean unlike the response I got from the other Matt so my suggestion is for you to mind your own business and go follow your Leafs progress in summer golf tournaments. Oh by the way good luck to Burke in trading for the number 1 pick. Nice press conference to call the first night of the playoffs.
quote:
Originally posted by pokermatt12

Hey mard, clearly you're new to this forum. When there is a discussion about hockey, it is not limited to the teams remaining in the playoffs. I'm pretty sure we can talk about and have our own opinion about anything and everything... as long as it's about hockey. So stop trying to cause trouble, and give it up. If you are not a Leafs fan and don't want to talk about it then dont participate in this discussion. I'm not trying to be rude here but at least have a little respect for people who have been on this forum a while and want to talk about and discuss what they want to discuss!

Go to Top of Page

Antroman
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
537 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2009 :  17:41:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What's all the fuss about? The Mighty Maples are the greatest sports team on the planet as long as you don't count wins and losses. Get it? How many cups and crap like that is just kids talk and should be kept on the public school playground. The Maples are simply a heck of alot of fun and being a fan is an honor and a privlege. You see, I live within 40 miles of Toronto and grew up during the six team era when they were very competitive to say the least. I am blessed having actually watched a few of those Cups by our boys in the blue and white. Living here, I am also blessed with the fact I can pick up any daily newspaper and read something about our team every day those papers are published. I can also tune into a number of Toronto radio stations and listen to Leaf talk pretty much every single day all year round. To top it off, I subscribe to Leafs TV and even in the summer I can watch Leaf hockey almost non stop if I choose to. You see, being a fan of the World's greatest sports franchise is just the greatest thing on the planet, win, lose or draw. Oh, I forgot, there is no more draws. Anyways, being a fan of The Mighty Maples is just plain fun anyway you want to cut it. Besides, loyalty is a virtue and living here and liking some far away dream team is nothing more than a traderous and inane trait that some people are inflicted with. It takes all kinds to make a world and I would rather be on the side that is losing than being a turncoat and supporting the enemy. A simple analogy would be weather you support your own high school football team or stand there and root for the cross town rivals? Duh!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Guest0577
( )

Posted - 04/26/2009 :  10:53:30  Reply with Quote
if bower or plante played the game today they would easily get lit up. Best goalie (as in most talented and skilled) would be toskala. Think if toskala played back in the day how many records he wold have broke....
Go to Top of Page

pokermatt12
Top Prospect

Canada
65 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2009 :  07:31:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hey Matt - last time I checked this is a free site and I'm entitled to my opinion. I've kept my language clean unlike the response I got from the other Matt so my suggestion is for you to mind your own business and go follow your Leafs progress in summer golf tournaments. Oh by the way good luck to Burke in trading for the number 1 pick. Nice press conference to call the first night of the playoffs.
quote:
Originally posted by pokermatt12

LOL well, in case you havent guessed, im a red wings fan ;)
Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2009 :  01:04:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest0577

if bower or plante played the game today they would easily get lit up. Best goalie (as in most talented and skilled) would be toskala. Think if toskala played back in the day how many records he wold have broke....

Yeah I agree if Bower or Plante played in todays game they would get lit up Bower is 84 years old and Plante passed away back in 1986... What kind of records Toskala would have broke if he played back then??like what most goals against?????? most games lost???? Toskala wouldn't have even made the 6 team league...

Bower and Plante had more talent and skill than Toskala could ever dream of... They played when goalies were goalies
Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2009 :  01:07:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Completely forgot about Plante...but you have to admit that Toskala is better then we're giving him credit for. A few factors to consider, the Leafs D is horrible, our forwards are always slow coming back. Also, he played most, if not all of the 08/09 season with an injured groin. In 07/08, he was solid considering he faced 40+ shots more then any other goalie in the league. As bad as Raycroft was, does anyone remember how bad Tom Barrasso was when he played like 9 games for us in 2001-2002? He had a GAA of nearly 5. But Trevor Kidd takes the title of "WORST"...

my list of goalies from best to worst I was referring to our number 1 goalies at times
Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2009 :  01:13:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Roberts85

quote:

Again, LEAF FANS DO!

Im f***ing watching every game in the playoffs alright, I follow the NHL as a whole ALL the time. The leafs are my favorite team and ill talk about them whenever the hell I want to. Nobody said you had to join in on the discussion. Im so sick of people hating on leaf fans, we love our team alright. If you dont like it, than go fly a kite.

Amen brother 100% agreed, couldn't have said it better
Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2009 :  01:22:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

lmao that was awesome, no San Jose was eliminated so he is now a Detroit fan until they get beat out then he'll route for whoever wins the cup
Go to Top of Page

Guest4652
( )

Posted - 05/08/2009 :  04:06:35  Reply with Quote
How sad is it that I had to think for 10 minutes about this? Other franchises I can rifle off a bunch of names, whereas for the Leafs.... Sawchuk (Red Wing)and Bower by default. Am I forgetting anyone that played in an even earlier era where they wore caps and held their goal stick with TWO hands? Pathetic. I shouldn't be so hard, maybe their future goalie is in the 2025 draft.
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2009 :  08:18:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Uh.... ever hear of Curtis Joseph or Ed Belfour? What about Mike Palmateer? Felix Potvin? Jaqcues Plante was a leaf, so was Bernie Parent and Grant Fuhr. Sawchuck, Bower and Broda are HOF legends. what is wrong with you?

Edited by - Matt_Roberts85 on 05/08/2009 08:19:23
Go to Top of Page

Guest2975
( )

Posted - 05/08/2009 :  10:03:10  Reply with Quote
Out of the goalies listed I would choose Belfour but that may be based more on the fact I have seen him play. Also more due to the fact of his success with Dallas, Chicago prior to his final season's in T.O. Leaf's would not have been competitive without him the years he played there. Mostly overated player's or past there prime grinders (excluding Sundin, Antropov) Very lucky to win a round of playoff hockey.
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2009 :  11:31:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It wasn't luck. The year the leafs beat Ottawa with Belfour in net was an absolute war. The leafs simply outworked the sens and beat them with determination, timley goals and solid goaltending. That was the game plan heading into that series.

Go to Top of Page

Guest2975
( )

Posted - 05/08/2009 :  11:46:40  Reply with Quote
I agree, but my point was this was a highly skilled Ottawa team which was stiffled by Belfour. The Leaf's played tight checking, but it came down to a steller performace by Belfour. Leaf's team that year was dipleated by injuries I believe. The Cup year in Dallas he stood on his head.
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2009 :  12:20:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yea.... i find the roster of that 04 team to be pretty funny. Sundin,Mogilny,Roberts - Francis,Nolan,Renberg - Antropov,Poni,Nieuwendyk - Reichel,Tucker,Stajan - Fitzgerald,Domi,Kilger

McCabe,Kaberle - Marchment,Berg - Klee,Leetch

Belfour

There were always at least 3 or 4 guys hurt at any time..

If only they had that roster with everyone close to their prime...

Edited by - Matt_Roberts85 on 05/08/2009 12:28:09
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page