Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Boston vs Carolina Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  19:40:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Who you think is going to win this series and why?

I am going to have to go with Boston, why? simple Tim Thomas was on fire against Montreal, Ryder, Krejci, Savard and Kessel. There is no one on Carolina's team that campare to any of those names besides maybe Eric Staal and surprisingly Ray Whitney

Choices:

Boston
Carolina

Guest9844
( )

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  21:20:06  Reply with Quote
Crap series. Bruins in 5.
Go to Top of Page

Rambo2305
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
546 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2009 :  06:02:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruins in 5..Carolina will take game 2, their lone bright spot.

"Everytime you step out onto the ice, it's a clean slate, anyone can win"
Go to Top of Page

Guest3385
( )

Posted - 04/29/2009 :  08:11:14  Reply with Quote
BORRRRINGGGGGGGG... Why couldn't Jersey just win? Boston/Pittsburgh, Washington/New Jersey would have been a couple of interesting matchups.
Go to Top of Page

Rambo2305
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
546 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2009 :  08:12:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest3385

BORRRRINGGGGGGGG... Why couldn't Jersey just win? Boston/Pittsburgh, Washington/New Jersey would have been a couple of interesting matchups.

Agreed! But we have to work with what we got LOL

Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2009 :  08:18:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Boring? Are you kidding me? Has anyone been watching the canes play for the last 2 months? This team is exciting! This could easily be one of the best series' in the playoffs this year. This one should go 7. Staal and Whitney are playing like world beaters and Cam Ward is a freakin wall. Boston is going to have their hands full big time with this canes team.

If Thomas and Chara are Bostons best players in this series than they should still be able to take it. i cant wait to see Lucic pound the crap out of anyone wearing red and white.

Boston in 7.

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2009 :  09:03:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Canes in six you read it hear first!,, why couldn;t New jersey team got through?? because they simply were not good enough the canes are really exciting to watch play...

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

Odin
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
350 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2009 :  09:07:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep, Boston just peaked emotionally against the Habs, and this series could very well be a letdown for them. Carolina came into the playoffs as one of the hotter teams. Ryder WILL NOT have the same performance vs the Carolina.

I think Boston is in tough. Carolina in 7.
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2009 :  10:44:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A letdown? Really... its not like they have visions of a Stanley Cup or anything. I don't think guys like Chara, Savard or Lucic are going to ease up one bit. Julien is a great coach who should have this group ready to play right from the opening faceoff.

The Canes are coming off a high, and will have little time to prepare for round two. This could work two ways, they either ride the momentum into game 1 and take Boston by storm, or THEY are the ones who have the letdown after such an emotional win.

I think that Big Z vs Staal and Thomas vs Ward are going to be the keys to the series.

Go to Top of Page

DangleFest89
Rookie

122 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2009 :  14:06:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Boston in 5 as much as I love to see Carolina pull an upset Bruins have way to much firepower going into this series.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2009 :  14:10:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A lot of people probably skipped the Canes/Devils series. I did too, then I watched a game, and then I watched the 7th game, and wow! The Canes were full value, despite their somewhat flukey win against a shaky Brodeur.

I still say Bruins, but Carolina scrapes out at least two wins. This will be an exciting series, if Ward stays as super-hot as he is, and they keep their up-tempo style rocking. Boston looks too good and too deep, but never count out a hot goalie!

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Senators315
Top Prospect

Canada
30 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2009 :  17:56:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Canes have all the momentum now. They beat the devils with 2 goals in under 2 minutes to win by one! Canes will come out firing but boston will settle down and win in 6 or 7. Canes up 2-1 in series and boston comes back to win

Spezza is god...
Go to Top of Page

Guest4274
( )

Posted - 05/01/2009 :  06:29:22  Reply with Quote
What!!! One Guy mentions Boring that Carolina Advanced. Would have been better with Boston-Pittsburgh and Jersey-Washington... sorry but it does not get better than Crosby vs. Ovechkin. Its a dream match-up and very good for the NHL. Glad I'll be able to see it.

Plus, Bruins had a 1st round bye (yes, playing the Habs is considered a bye).. personally I think the Canes win here. Experience here.. Carolina has been here before and Ward will outshine Thomas.

Go to Top of Page

Gusteroni
Rookie

Canada
225 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2009 :  12:20:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think that the Canes can play as physical as Boston and they are going to get beat up in this series unless they can out skate the Bruins which is a possibility. Montreal was way too small and didn't have a chance against Boston as they weren't fast enough. This series is going to come down to goaltending and I think Thomas has the upper hand as he has a far superior defense in front of him. Boston in 6.

"There are only two seasons. Hockey season and not hockey season."

Edited by - Gusteroni on 05/01/2009 12:20:32
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2009 :  17:10:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow i love being in the minority here. Carolina in 6-7. Why have you guys noticed Boston no playoff experience rely on unproven playoff goalie against pretty much the same team that won the stanley cup 3 years ago. Their best players are playing their best hockey and they have been to the big show before.

I can wait to see the arguements against
Go to Top of Page

Guest2783
( )

Posted - 05/01/2009 :  19:36:56  Reply with Quote
Are you kidding me? Bruins awake from their 8 day hibernation and totally dominate game one. If it wasn't for Cam Ward this game could have been real ugly. I know Carolina is better than what they shown tonite but I think if any series is a four game sweep this is it.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2009 :  08:25:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Way to pick a series based on game one. Guess Chicago, Anaheim and Carolina can go home then! Do you want to make your picks on the Pitsburg Washington game before or after game one.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2009 :  14:09:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bet your feeling kinda silly right now aren't ya Guest2783
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2009 :  14:20:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How effen good is Eric Staal playing??? I mean, wow. He is totally dominating a concensus choice for the Norris night after night. It's sick.

And, how pourous does Vezina Nominated Tim Thomas look against this team?? Not all his fault, be he has been less than stellar.

I can't see Boston come back and winning 3 straight.

Carolina is not a hot team. They are a better team than most people realized. I bet Peter Lavioilette is kicking himself in the crotch for not getting this kind of production out of that team. And I wonder how many Leaf fans who wanted Maurices head (and got it) are eating their own words right now????
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2009 :  15:31:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since my team is out of playoff, this is my cinderella team here for the cup. Why not this team has everything but location.
Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2009 :  20:05:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to agree with you Beans Eric Staal is playing excellent hockey.. Who would expect Carolina to be ahead 3-1... Eric Staal is the main reason.

Even though I said Boston would take out Carolina, This is good for my baseball teams NHL playoff pool because I have no one from Boston on my team and I have Ruutu from Carolina so thats the upside go Carolina
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2009 :  21:41:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, it's a given that Staal has taken over this series . . . but a big reason also has to be the play of Ward. He's had one blip in game one of this series, but he has once again outplayed his opposition across the ice.

Nobody seems to outhussle Carolina in any situation, and they each play their roles to a T. Besides the superstar moves of Staal, it really is a tight, hard-working, hard-skating team.

If they get past Boston, will we all continue to pick them losing in 5 (to Pittsburgh or Washington, two teams that are superior on paper)?

Edited by - n/a on 05/09/2009 21:42:22
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2009 :  22:15:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

Well, it's a given that Staal has taken over this series . . . but a big reason also has to be the play of Ward. He's had one blip in game one of this series, but he has once again outplayed his opposition across the ice.

Nobody seems to outhussle Carolina in any situation, and they each play their roles to a T. Besides the superstar moves of Staal, it really is a tight, hard-working, hard-skating team.

If they get past Boston, will we all continue to pick them losing in 5 (to Pittsburgh or Washington, two teams that are superior on paper)?

I'll go on record now as saying that Carolina will be the East rep in the Finals. You are dead right (wow, we agree on something) that Ward has been a rock to say the least. But that team has quitely built a pretty decent back end. Corvo, Pitkanen, Gleason, and Babcock are playing really well. Not only adding some offense, but they are moving the puck brilliantly.

Carolina is for real.

(Did anyone else hear Don Cherry blaming Chara's poor play on his coach?? For those who missed it, basically Cherry said that Julien is working so hard to get Chara on the ice against Staal that he is messing with the flow of Chara's game and that's why Staal has owned him. Who'd a thunk Cherry would defend a Euroean like that!)
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2009 :  22:21:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just to add to the Cherry comment (which I thought was hilarious):

I thought Carolina was making Chara look slow . . . which he is, but usually he gets away with it with his long reach and great positioning.

Go to Top of Page

Rambo2305
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
546 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2009 :  06:19:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

Just to add to the Cherry comment (which I thought was hilarious):

I thought Carolina was making Chara look slow . . . which he is, but usually he gets away with it with his long reach and great positioning.

Um...not much to say other then....where'd the Bruins go in the last week??

Go to Top of Page

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2009 :  07:09:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the Bs win tomorrow night, have a beer on andyhack!

I think they will if they play like Game 5.

BUT, they will NOT if they play like Game 6.

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2009 :  08:33:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, has this series ever turned on it's head. Although I feel like quite a moron for my quotes above about Boston not being able to come back and win 3 straight, I bet I am not alone. I don't think many figure this to even go to 7 games.

I am cheering for no one, but I would like to see Andy buy me a beer. We'll see if I am buying it myself or getting a freebie.
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2009 :  10:34:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Who do you guys think Pitt matches us against well?

Carolina doesnt seem to have the troops to shut down Crosby and Malkin, while Chara would be a HUGe test for both guys. Carolina vs Pitt would be an awesome run and gun series with great chances at both ends of the ice. Boston would probably try to clamp things down and frustrate the pens.

Staal vs Staal would be neat to see, as would Chara vs Crosby.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2009 :  13:29:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As well as Carolina is playing, I think they match up well against Pittsburgh - they would definitely exploit the Pittsburgh D with their speedy forwards and tenacity going to the net and on the wing . . . Gill and Gonchar looked very exploitable on the rush. And, I wouldn't bet against Ward playing better than Fleury.

However, I have to think the deeper, more talented team (Boston) will prevail and provide an even tougher test for Crosby et al.

You know, the more I think about it, the more I am thinking . . . ah, hell, no more predictions . . . I've been getting smoked lately!

Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2009 :  13:38:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lol, its hard to stop thinking predictions eh? haha, sometimes you look good, sometimes, not so much hehe (goes for everyone)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page