Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Western Conference - Pacific Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Edmonton
 Edmonton 06-07 Lineup Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

slapshot
Rookie

USA
141 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2006 :  11:50:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is what the Hockey News is saying:

Prediction: 12th in the West

Depth Chart:
Smyth-Horcoff-Hemsky
Torres-Stoll-Lupul
Moreau-Reasoner-Pisani
Jacques-Pouliot-Winchester

Smith-Staios
Tjarnqvist-Greene
Bergeron-Smid

Roloson
Markkanen

lyall
PickupHockey Pro

360 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  23:43:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I predict 5th in the West

Smyth-Horcoff-lupul
Torres-Sykora-Hemsky
Moreau-Stoll-Pisani
Thoresen-Schremp-Winchester

Smith-Staios
Bergeron-Green
Roy-Smid

Roloson
Markkanen

GO OIL GO!!
Markkanen
Go to Top of Page

Ryan Harper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
322 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  11:14:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
5th hey, I dont know. I think they have 3 lines that can score, and they definitely have hustle. I think that you will see the real Dwayne Roloson this year (and by that I mean no the same guy you saw in the playoffs). Plus the Oil defense is probably the weakest in the West.

Go to Top of Page

lyall
PickupHockey Pro

360 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2006 :  00:33:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well you're right. A bit of a weak defense. And yes If Roli was playin like he was in the playoffs he would of hade have goal that Iginla got. I wan't even a one timer so.... But Those 3 lines, the third line is better than many teams second line. 4 or even 5 forwards on a powerplay. what team can can defend against Smyth, Hemsky, Horcoff, Sykora & Stoll? The Ducks? They got a steller D, but really Edmonton's speed & passing can mostly likey shout down that PK. & Dwayne....playoff form, pre-season form, mid season form; It don't matter. he's a great fit to the Edmonton club & he will being giving his best all year. Even if he s***'s the bed we still got Markkanen. He regained his cofidance in his brief playoff run. He'll probably surprise alot of people this year when he gets the start.
Go to Top of Page

oil guy
Rookie

Canada
122 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2006 :  14:59:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes individually the oil may have a weaker defense but as a whole iI think they will do fine, Maybe al a Carolina and if not we have the room to trade for someone and enough good forwards that scoring should not be an issue.
Go to Top of Page

Jack Kayden 66
Top Prospect

Canada
61 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2006 :  15:39:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IMO the Oil have always been one of the hardest working teams around. Sure their defense is questionable - but they have tons of depth up front, and like oil guys says, they have the cap room to address anything that comes up over the course of the season. The hockey news is way off on this prediction. I say they finish 5th in the West.

Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2006 :  16:34:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm going in the middle, I think if they make the playoffs they'll have to just barely squeak in, just like last year.

Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2006 :  18:43:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
they are a hard working team but making the playoffs is always a struggle for them. I don't see it any different than any other year in recent history.

Having said that, they have a pretty talented group of up-and-comers so if they can keep the team together I think they are definitely going to surge over the next couple years. Probably not this year though.
Go to Top of Page

oil guy
Rookie

Canada
122 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2006 :  10:55:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you see the game last night against the sharks?
The same sharks that every one is touting as the SC winners for this year.
The oilers dominated them for most of the game and if not for Cheechoo the oilers would have embarassed them.
Now if they can keep that kind of effort for the rest of the season they should be able to easily make the playoffs.
I must say that I doubt that SJ will blow 4 point leads too often.
But it is good when they do it for my team.
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2006 :  12:28:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was very disappointing. Being in the East and the most avid Sharks fan out here, I had to listen to it on the radio. Once Smyth got his first, the second in their whole splurge, I figured the Oilers would come back to win. The Sharks had fizzled out, plus comebacks seemed to have been the trend last night so I sensed it would happen here too. Nice job by Smyth though, 3 goals in just over 2 minutes. Even if they are adversaries, I applaud anyone who beats a Gretzky record (in this case fastest hat-trick by an Oiler)... *tips his hat*. He scored all three of them in typical Ryan Smyth fashion too, so it was fitting.
Go to Top of Page

pucker
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
398 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2006 :  15:19:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Insane game last night. Man do I wish the Canucks had a heart and soul guy like Ryan Smyth. He is definitely one of my favorite players.

So tell me oil guy, why is he not captain?

Go to Top of Page

blade
Rookie

Canada
199 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2006 :  17:59:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Canucks used to have Gelinas way back when. Didn't he play hard and grind it out for good points. Who did he get traded for? I know us Flames fans loved having Jelly on the team for a season when we went on the run in 2004. ooops sorry this is an Oiler thread isn't it. I'm outtie!

Go to Top of Page

oil guy
Rookie

Canada
122 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2006 :  09:03:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure why Smyth is not been the captain, they felt he was captain material for team canada.
Not to take away from J. Smith who i think is just a more vocal type player.
I do not think there is a team in the league who would not want a guy like Smyth in there line up.
Now if the oil can just stay out of the p. box.
Go to Top of Page

laurissa
Top Prospect

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2006 :  09:51:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to say that I agree. The penalty box is killing us. I’m glad to see that Greene is doing a better job of staying out of the box than last season.

I’ve always thought that Smyth should be Captain! I have heard that J. Smith is good at motivating the team in the dressing room etc. So, maybe he’s seen as a better off-ice leader?

I’m glad to see that they Oilers are playing so well this season. I think too many people thought that our run to the Stanley Cup was a complete fluke.
Go to Top of Page

oil guy
Rookie

Canada
122 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2006 :  10:58:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I think Greene will turn out to be a good d-man, I think that he is really trying to improve his play after some of his bad penalties in the playoffs last year.
And as for the playoff run being a fluke, I do not think that in todays NHL any body is a lock on the playoffs, but luck does go a long way to a Stanley Cup win.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2006 :  23:15:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On ice play is obviously important and you're right Laurissa, off ice is a key component to having the C. Jason Smith does both, not that Ryan doesn't but you don't want to take a C away from someone. I watched HNIC tonight and they were commenting on how Dallas took the C away from Modano and gave it to Morrow. I wonder how long he'll stick around now because of that. I'll bet Smyth likes not having the C, you tend to get lots more room on the ice without it and you can focus on being a "player" rather than a "leader"
Go to Top of Page

lyall
PickupHockey Pro

360 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2006 :  23:35:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you guys check out The Colarado game? Out shout 42-25 & out played in the first two peroids. But another comback staged my Mr. Ryan Smyth. Oilers are the best team to watch in the NHL. They are never done, no mattter the score. I agree Smytty should have the C. The is no question the he is the heart & soul of the Oil. But leigh is right in saying you can't take a C away. How about Sykora. He's gunna be up there with Horc & Hemmer racing for top spot in pionts. Tjarnqvist in another great addition. It's gunna be a great season. I'm also pretty impressed with Calgarys poor start. Edmonton & Minnesota, the 2 most underrated team in the northwest.
Go to Top of Page

pucker
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
398 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  08:30:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blade

The Canucks used to have Gelinas way back when. Didn't he play hard and grind it out for good points. Who did he get traded for? I know us Flames fans loved having Jelly on the team for a season when we went on the run in 2004. ooops sorry this is an Oiler thread isn't it. I'm outtie!

You didn't seriously just compare Martin Gelinas to Ryan Smyth did you? Oh...wait... your a Flames fan. Ok I understand now. Its not your fault. You were born that way.

Go to Top of Page

blade
Rookie

Canada
199 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  10:54:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
You didn't seriously just compare Martin Gelinas to Ryan Smyth did you? Oh...wait... your a Flames fan. Ok I understand now. Its not your fault. You were born that way.

Hey I realize their styles are little different but what I'm referring to is the fact that they were not "extremely" talented, and their success is based more on work ethic. Martin Gelinas may have had the success that Smyth has if he was allowed to stay on one team long enough Unfortunately he is always used as a trading pawn (like middle-of-the-road players are and Ryan Smyth COULD HAVE BEEN) Many of Jelly's goals are scored by standing in front of the net and taking a beating (the guy has tree trunks for legs)

Go to Top of Page

oil guy
Rookie

Canada
122 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  12:29:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey I realize their styles are little different but what I'm referring to is the fact that they were not "extremely" talented, and their success is based more on work ethic. Martin Gelinas may have had the success that Smyth has if he was allowed to stay on one team long enough Unfortunately he is always used as a trading pawn (like middle-of-the-road players are and Ryan Smyth COULD HAVE BEEN) Many of Jelly's goals are scored by standing in front of the net and taking a beating (the guy has tree trunks for legs)

[/quote]
Having seen Ryan Smyth play JR in Moose Jaw, I would say he is very talented, but I think he just decided that in a league full of talent he needed to find his own niche, to keep him from being trade bait.
As for Gelinas, he had a lot of talent as a youngster in Edmonton but he should not be compaired to Smyth, imo total different style players.
Go to Top of Page

Myles06-07
Top Prospect

91 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2006 :  18:10:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Prediction.
3rd in West.
You have to beleive in your hometown team and I sure do.
They have a huge powerhouse with lighting up the net up front, but a low based defense. Don't worry and think they suck because they are going to tone down the offensive power and give something to the defense with a nice trade. Roloson will stop a million pucks and stay sound.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4055
( )

Posted - 11/17/2006 :  16:53:39  Reply with Quote
News is wrong
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2006 :  18:40:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you kidding me? 3rd in the west? That would mean they ahve to finish 1st in the Pacifc Northwest and that ain't going to happen.
Go to Top of Page

Guest8977
( )

Posted - 11/18/2006 :  15:23:55  Reply with Quote
Yes it is, Oilers rule
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page