Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Balsillie's Move for Phoenix Franchise Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Guest9308
( )

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  07:02:20
How does everyone feel about Jim Balsillie's move to aquire the Phoenix franchise?

If you are a fan of the move, check out this website and register at; www.makeitseven.ca

Read Bob Mckenzie's column here, http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mckenzie/?id=277696, it sheds some light on the financial aspects of the situation.

Make no mistake about it, this involves a whole ton of ego and pride, Balsillie's plan is not part of the leaque's agenda, and we all know who creates the agenda. Yes, Balsillie has ego and pride too, but ask yourself, if you had a billion dollars and wanted to purchase an NHL franchise...where would you want to put it?

ADMIN EDIT - TOPIC LOCKED - ALREADY BEING DISCUSSED HERE http://www.pickuphockey.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6317

Radoria
Top Prospect

Canada
17 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  07:17:10  Show Profile
Well based on my logo you can probably guess where I would like to see an NHL team relocated, however I wouldn't be opposed to seeing a team in Hamilton, as they have a good facility and potentially decent fan base. The reason being for this is that it sets the precedent for other teams that are bleeding financially - and there are others in non-traditional markets that are hemorrhaging - to make the move to Canada as well. This sets the stage. Will the Kaiser allow such heavy-handed tactics on the part of Mr. Balsillie? It will be interesting to see how this all plays out!

P.S. It is interesting to note that Hamilton did once have an NHL franchise in the 1920s: The Hamilton Tigers (and yes I'm aware that there was a Ontario Rugby Football Union team of the same name back then too, before they became the Tiger-Cats in 1950)!
Go to Top of Page

Guest9838
( )

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  07:23:19
I'm sure there are plenty of Phoenix Coyotes fans who love their team and would hate to see it move, but to keep the team there is abosolutely ludicrous. Any new owner would have to be a masochist to want to keep a team there and bleed their own millions every year.

If the Balsille play doesn't work out this would also be the nth time Bettman (and I guess the board of governors) has screwed over an owner in trouble. It seems pretty low-class that Bettman would be willing to cause financial ruin to a former owner because of pride and a deluded idea that Hockey can succeed everywhere. Sometimes you have to just take the best deal and stop kicking the gift horse in the mouth.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4075
( )

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  09:47:31
The southern states nhl experiment is over! Put these teams where they belong. Hamilton, Winnipeg, Halifax, Quebec City, Saskatoon. These cities would support an nhl franchise, not like "not interested" southern states folk. Bettman tried & failed, if he won't move on he needs to be replaced.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9308
( )

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  10:23:00
Just a quick note to attach to the discussion.

A NHL report detailing the ticket/team revenues from 30 teams revealed that six (6) Canadian teams account for 31 percent of the 1.1 billion in league ticket revenue. These same 6 teams have also posted double digit increases over last season.

Der Commisar knows that if he adds one or two more Canuck franchises there is the possibility they will end up accounting for closer to 40 percent of league ticket sales and revenue...or more. That is not what he envisioned.

Thereby killing the grand dream of hockey in Hawaii.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  11:09:51  Show Profile
I think the thing that people have to remember is very simple:

BETTMAN DOES NOT HAVE A VOTE.

He will bring his position to the board of governors and to the other owners in the NHL, but he has absolutely zero say in the outcome. I can't remember the actual rules, but it is something like more than 66% of all the owners have to agree to moving a team. You have to think that Toronto (who makes something like 20% of the NHL revenue on their own) as well as Buffalo do not want this to happen. I wonder if they have enough pull to sway a vote.

That is if a vote even happens.

The Bankruptcy courts in Arizona might throw of the offer out. Specially because of the condional sale based on moving the team. If this was the current owners decision, then it could stay. But I don't see how legally a offer can be considered when the conditions are in the hands of the other owners in the league. That just doesn't make sense.

And finally, if the NHL has been paying the bills for the team for the past number of months, would they not have stake in the team themselves?? This is where Bettman might have his say. Lets say for example that the NHL has put $30 million into the franchise this season. That means that if the value of the team is set at (again for example) $200 million, then the does the NHL not legal own 15% of the team??? Not sure if that's enough to decline the offer or not, but you have to think that the NHL's money in the team gives them a say.

Finally, it comes down to ego. The NHL does not want to be muscled by a single owner and the Owner(or potential owner) has a ton of fan support because of what he wants to do. In the end, no one can win this fight. But I can not stress enough, read the 2nd line again. Bettman does not have a vote on this.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9838
( )

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  12:49:36
Bettman may not have a vote, but he does have in his power the ability to take legal action against Balsille and Mosely on behalf of the league to block the acquisition (which is within his rights, but may or may not be in the best interests of the league). Beyond this, he has his influence, which he will use to put the NO vote in as many owners heads as he can. It would be incredibly naive to think this is completely out of his hands if it ever goes to an owners vote.

Balsille's biggest problem is he always seems to undermine the authority of the league in a big public way. If he wins this battle then Bettman might as well step down.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  15:23:55  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9838

Bettman may not have a vote, but he does have in his power the ability to take legal action against Balsille and Mosely on behalf of the league to block the acquisition (which is within his rights, but may or may not be in the best interests of the league). Beyond this, he has his influence, which he will use to put the NO vote in as many owners heads as he can. It would be incredibly naive to think this is completely out of his hands if it ever goes to an owners vote.

Balsille's biggest problem is he always seems to undermine the authority of the league in a big public way. If he wins this battle then Bettman might as well step down.

I don't disagree with any of this. You are dead right. However, in the end, it is up to the owners vote (which some definately may be influenced by Bettman). My point is that it's not up to one man.

And I would be my life that MLSE and the Sabres ownership will be pushing a lot harder for no votes than Bettman. That 20% of the revenues and I bet nearly 50% of the profits that TO produces have a far bigger influence than Bettman.

Just my opinion.
Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  15:33:11  Show Profile
Hey guys, we already have this topic well underway as of yesterday so I've locked this one up. Freel free to move any of your posts to here: http://www.pickuphockey.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6317
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page