Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Western Conference - Pacific Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Calgary
 New Coaching Staff Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hockster
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2009 :  14:34:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Flames announced their new coaching staff a few minutes ago.
They chose Brent Sutter as their head coach. The assistants are Ryan Mcgill, Dave Lowry, and Jamie Mclennan. It is an extremely young coaching staff.

Will they prove to be good choices?

Iginla for 2010 team captain.
Flames for cup...eventually.

Rambo2305
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
546 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2009 :  09:17:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This was a move people should have seen coming after Sutter stepped down in NJ after two good seasons lol

This will be a good move simply because the Flames are a good team. Also, look at what Sutter did with an aging Devils' team the past two seasons, also, the success he had at the World Juniors. Considering the Flames have a solid mix of youth and experience, also lead by the best captain in hockey...they'll be a top 6 team in the West, and if they get the division lead early, they'll hold onto it this time...

Talk about brotherly love though, hopefully B. Sutter finds success, would suck if big brother has to fire him!

"Most people spend time and energy going around problems, rather than trying to solve them" - Henry Ford
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2009 :  11:16:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think little brother is the better hockey man. He has more flexibility in his coaching style than Darryl. He doesn't rely on role players or superstars and he can roll with the punches (players injuries). If anything he may finally demand (demand, may be a strong word here) a solid #2 goalie to take the pressure and playing time off of Kipper.

I think the flames will be a better team because of this.

Who is Ryan Mcgill. I am not familiar with him.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2009 :  22:18:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

I think little brother is the better hockey man. He has more flexibility in his coaching style than Darryl. He doesn't rely on role players or superstars and he can roll with the punches (players injuries). If anything he may finally demand (demand, may be a strong word here) a solid #2 goalie to take the pressure and playing time off of Kipper.

I think the flames will be a better team because of this.

Who is Ryan Mcgill. I am not familiar with him.

Hmm, The little brother is the better hockey man?? Which one took a team to the Stanley Cup Final??? Many would argue that the team in New Jersey, especially this season, was better than the team Calgary took to the finals as well. Take nothing away from Brent Sutter, but he hasn't proven himself as much as big brother, at least to this point.

However, I think this is a huge improvement to Calgary. Keenan did not appear to have the dressing room, specifically in the last 20 games of the season and the playoffs. His riding Kipper and pulling him every 2nd game appeared to wear thin. Ultimately, Calgary's a blue Collar team who play their best when they are skating, hitting, and grinding. Kinda like a Sutter brand of hockey, no??? Having Brent coaching and Darryl managing, this is a very good thing for Calgary.
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2009 :  20:02:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A couple points of interest with this hiring.
Sutter re-united with Phaneuf from their Rebel days where they enjoyed great success together and also it will be interesting to see if Vandermeer will now be re-signed as he is also another Rebel from that period.

"Society, have mercy on me. Hope you're not angry if I disagree." - Jerry Hannan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page