Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Heads Up!
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Dobber
 Out of the Shadows Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  09:39:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By Darryl Dobbs

Malkin, Schmalkin. A lot of preseason talk centered around who will be runner up to Evgeni Malkin’s Calder Trophy victory this season, and while Anze Kopitar’s name certainly came up, he was one of many. Funny how two games into the NHL season can change all of that.

While Malkin sits out of the first eight or 10 games nursing a dislocated shoulder, Kopitar is getting the superstar treatment in Los Angeles.

The general modus operandi for NHL teams in their treatment of rookies is to ease them into the lineup. The first season consists of 10-12 minutes of ice time per game, some spot time on the power play, and no ice time at all in the final minutes of close games. Philadelphia’s Jeff Carter and New York’s Petr Prucha are the perfect examples of this from last season, and Columbus youngster Gilbert Brule is a fine example this year.

Elite offensive studs who are ready to step right into the rigors of the NHL, such as Alexander Ovechkin and Sidney Crosby from last season, and Evgeni Malkin this season, get the star treatment. That is – 18-20 minutes per game, first line opportunities, top power play time…essentially, they are the present of the franchise, as well as the future.

Anze Kopitar, thought to be in the former group, is actually in the latter.

The Los Angeles rookie has been sensational in training camp, and seemed to turn things up a notch further when the season started. He has been, by far and away, the forward with the most ice time for the Kings – logging over 20 minutes a game. He had the most power-play time, the most penalty-kill time, and he has been out there for the final minute of tight games.

Did I mention he has five points in two games?

Once a player has established himself (and…endeared himself?) to his coach and to his teammates, it is hard to take that away from him. For things to change, and for Kopitar to revert to ‘just another good rookie’, he will need to go several games of playing 20 minutes, without tallying a point. It is not very likely, so count on more of the same.

The answer to the question – who will be runner up to Malkin the Calder race? Not so fast. Malkin has not won anything yet…

Meanwhile…

Richard Zednik has been removed from Alexander Ovechkin’s line in Washington. By default, Chris Clark slides back into that spot, a spot he had for the better part of last season. “By default” – Clark has four points in two games now. His four penalty minutes make him an attractive cheap pickup in roto leagues…

Ales Kotalik is pointless in three games for Buffalo so far, and has yet to play 13 minutes in a game…

Carolina has scored just four goals in three games so far. Eric Staal and Erik Cole have just one point each, while Rod Brind’Amour has gone pointless. Opposition is shutting down the Staal line, and that plan works perfectly when the second line is not stepping up…

It is expected that Colby Armstrong (Pittsburgh) will reach 65-70 points this season playing with Sid the Kid. What poolies may not be aware of is that he could very well notch 120 penalty minutes, too. He has 11 already in just two games…

Those poolies that jumped on Kim Johnsson as an option on defense because of his new team in Minnesota, should actually be looking elsewhere. Kurtis Foster has more points, has had almost as much ice time, and has been out on the power play more than Johnsson.

For more fantasy tips – visit www.dobberhockey.com. Also, join Dobber’s one-month pool. For the month of November only, choose 20 players, points only, and win…bragging rights. Visit www.dobberhockey.com for more details.

Have an opinion on Dobber's article? Let us know. Just hit reply below and post your thoughts. Anything goes...but keep it clean.
PickupHockey.com is your online hockey community. We're always looking for sharp volunteer writers. If you feel that you'd like to contribute articles on a regular basis drop us an email. admin@pickuphockey.com

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  22:12:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jason King - Vancouver. He was a super stud for the first 30 games a few years ago and was top pick for rookie of the year for the first half of the season then he had a few bad games and got sent down...that was the end of him. Don't count your chickens too early. Once you become recognized and people know how you play, your numbers will go down...unless your name is Wayne, Mario, Teemu, Sidney or even Evgeni. Right now is an adjustment period. The real super-rookies will rise to the top. Can Anze hold on? I don't think so.
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2006 :  20:28:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you're right about Kopitar, Leigh. He simply just doesn't have the support to keep up his numbers. On the other hand, if he does then good for him. I'd love to see someone other than Malkin get the Calder because I hate when a player is basically crowned before they even win.

Go to Top of Page

Ryan Harper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
322 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2006 :  15:51:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Dobber. Kopitar is a beast. Hes 6-4, 220lbs, and has great skills. The only reason he slipped to 11th in the draft is because most scouts couldn't find Slovenia on the map.

I picked him up in my pool, so I hope dobber is right on this one.

Go to Top of Page

Dobber
Top Prospect

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2006 :  04:34:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When was Jason King drafted? And he got those points on his own and Sedins just rode along on his coattails? And King was just 19-years old at the time? King performed well at the juniors, did he?

These questions matter in keeper leagues. The draft question matters because it indicates how much the team is willing to invest in you. For a first round pick, the team will let you fail over and over, and they will keep letting you try. The points question matters because you are more valuable if you are the guy responsible for you points - not your linemates. The age question matters because a prospect is not given up on until his mid-twenties. So Kopitar could fail for the next five years. King did not have that luxury. The World Juniors matter, because they indicate how well a prospect can play at an elite level.

~Dobber
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page