Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey Pools & Fantasy Hockey
 Pools are not a science Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

StanleyCup
Top Prospect

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  20:48:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm in 3 hockey pools at this site this year. 1 draft pool, one pick box pool and one straight pool (free-for-all). All 3 pools have between 11 and 35 teams and no less than 12 picks per team. I'm in second in my draft, second-last in my pickbox and I'm in the middle in my straignt pool! Anyone who tells you it's a science is a nutbar!

adfasdf

slapshot
Rookie

USA
141 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  08:15:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree Stanley. They are a mix of luck and skill, but mostly luck. It is no wonder that my wife has won a couple of our hockey pools over the years. Here is what usually happens: I give her the top 200 scorers list that most newbies use when drafting a team. She picked based on 1) previous years points, 2) guys names she recognized, and 3) guys names she thought sounded cool. With this method, she won.

I think you point is all about the law of averages. I know when I am in a few different pools, I usually go with a different strategy for each and I am bound to do well in at least one of them - as you are.

Go to Top of Page

pucker
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
398 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  10:06:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This chick thinks it is a science. She did her thesis on it:

http://www.sfu.ca/mediapr/sfu_news/archives/sfunews11170513.html

Go to Top of Page

StanleyCup
Top Prospect

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  13:17:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well in the pool in which I'm in second place, Malkin ruturns so I hope that will boost me into first!

adfasdf
Go to Top of Page

Reiko24
Top Prospect

22 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2006 :  14:27:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it is not an exact science... butmathematics and probabiblies are involved so it is a bit a science...

For example guys like Sakic and Recchi will rarely get injured, players who will play a lot on the powerplay will definitely give you more points etc.

You have to know hockey that is for sure
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2006 :  15:30:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's not an exact science--have you ever heard of a course called "Poolology"? But statistics is definitely involved nonetheless, so it's not totally unpredictable. That'd be a sweet college thesis...too bad she took the idea first!
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2006 :  19:19:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is definately not an exact science. However, there sees to be a formula that suceeds.

Consistant Scorers+Players on Decent Teams+No Injuries=Good Chance of Winning.

And to the point of the fellow wife who has won a couple of pools. Same thing has happened in our pools. One guy's wife picks mostly the same way each year and either wins or is near the top.
Go to Top of Page

Novie
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
452 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2006 :  07:10:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Being the "Hockey Experts" we all are, I think we over-analyze and try to grab up sleeper picks, while others that might not pay as much attention will just take the guy that scored a lot last year.

Basically, in your formula there: we'll think about the decent team part, where they will find consistent scorers, and usually beat us.

HOW MANY PEOPLE PICKED MARK BELL THIS YEAR?

Case in point!

Go Sens
Go to Top of Page

vintage
Top Prospect

Canada
97 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  18:20:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mmmmm interesting lady who can win hockey pools like crazy im thinking of being wiz for hockey profits like that someday
Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  21:44:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Novie

Being the "Hockey Experts" we all are, I think we over-analyze and try to grab up sleeper picks, while others that might not pay as much attention will just take the guy that scored a lot last year.

Basically, in your formula there: we'll think about the decent team part, where they will find consistent scorers, and usually beat us.

HOW MANY PEOPLE PICKED MARK BELL THIS YEAR?

Case in point!

Go Sens

I did. Point taken.
Go to Top of Page

the hockey guy
Rookie

Canada
135 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2007 :  19:57:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alot of the pool draft is luck mixed with some general knowledge of hockey. One hundred posts baby! Im catching up babs

Edited by - the hockey guy on 02/28/2007 19:57:46
Go to Top of Page

tctitans
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
931 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2007 :  23:13:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's certainly a science... just not an exact science.
Go to Top of Page

Saku Steen
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1102 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2007 :  15:49:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All you gotta do is pick..... and then hope!
Go to Top of Page

tctitans
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
931 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  12:26:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's much more than just luck. If you do the analysis over enough different pools/FHL over enough years, I think you will find that there is a strong statistical correlation that shows that a group of participants do much better than the norm, consistently.

Just look at your own pools over the years... I'll bet that most of you know who are the favorites to win the pool from the draft. That being said, favorite != winner, but you know they will be in the hunt.
Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  20:28:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually it is not a science...

My daughter is third in our pool and she picked players she liked, or heard of, my son picked players he thought would do well, she is 100 points ahead of him and 35 out of first place, it is a draft pool players can only be picked once...

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright, until they speak...
Go to Top of Page

tctitans
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
931 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  20:45:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PuckNuts

Actually it is not a science...

My daughter is third in our pool and she picked players she liked, or heard of, my son picked players he thought would do well, she is 100 points ahead of him and 35 out of first place, it is a draft pool players can only be picked once...

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright, until they speak...

yes, there is an element of luck within any given year, but good poolsters will show well year after year.
=science
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page