Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Hockey's Toughest Bastards Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bape
Top Prospect

1 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  12:45:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maxim just put out their "Hockey's Toughest Bastards" of all-time list. Biggest complaint - W.Clark ranked #11…he should have easily been in the top 10!!

http://www.maximonline.com/slideshows/index.aspx?imgCollectId=126&src=mx169

goon
Rookie

Canada
113 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  14:53:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is awesome. Rarely does a US mag like Maxim do a hockey feature.

Gino Odjick has got to be in the top 10 as well, along with Wendy. Both tough bastards in my opinion. Bertuzzi should be in the cheap lazy selfich bastard category. All in all a great list.

Go to Top of Page

Ripley
PickupHockey Pro

USA
365 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2006 :  12:16:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the spin on it, it's not necessarily the best fighters but rather the "toughest" so guys like doug glimour and mario lemieux make the list. It's an interesting take on it anyway.

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2006 :  07:11:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mario Lemieux?? Toughest Hockey Players of all time?? That just doesn't go together! Who was number 1?? Where was Semenko in the list?? If he wasn't on the list that the people who created the list never watched a hockey game before 1990!
Go to Top of Page

slapshot
Rookie

USA
141 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2006 :  11:00:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Mario Lemieux?? Toughest Hockey Players of all time?? That just doesn't go together! Who was number 1?? Where was Semenko in the list?? If he wasn't on the list that the people who created the list never watched a hockey game before 1990!

I agree Semenko should be on there - especially before Bertuzzi. But the list is cool because it isn't just about fighters. Lemieux came back from Frikin cancer. Thats one tough bastard.

Edited by - slapshot on 11/10/2006 11:02:11
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2006 :  12:08:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd say Boris Mikhailov. He played ages ago for the Soviet Union, and he was mean--he kicked the Canadian goalie in the shins and made him bleed during the 1972 Summit Series, he speared people in the sides continuously with his stick, he checked real hard...and he was a great player all around. Scored 700-something goals I think.

That's where I get my name (Female form of Mikhailov)
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2006 :  12:10:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally postede by slapshot

Lemieux came back from Frikin cancer. Thats one tough bastard.

So did Saku Koivu. And Teppo Numminen's had a heart murmur since childhood and he's played more NHL games than any other European.

Edited by - Mikhailova on 11/23/2006 13:05:37
Go to Top of Page

spearbelly
Top Prospect

Canada
98 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2006 :  18:19:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[Good topic...........Stupid list............Really MAXIM , would you want Grapes pickin the top 10 hottest shemales????? If the All Time Toughest Bastard list is supposed to encompass BRUTE STRENGTH , SCRAPPING , HITTING (giving and receiving) ,PLAYING HURT (battled scarred and bruised) including returning from medical mishaps , then the list is 1/2 Nuts.Doug Jarvis????? I mean not that he wasn't tough(92% of all hockey players are tough),but do you then include Gary Unger, Steve Larmer etc??If returning from injury or medical mishaps is considered and Gary Roberts isn't near the top of list , then why a list?????For BRUTE STRENGTH Where sits the Tim Hortons the Cam Neelly and Clarke Gillies types????For Tough Bastard Scrappers , Where are the Stan Jonathon,John Ferguson and Dave Browns or Hammer Dave Schultz(hell 9/16ths of the Broad Street Bullies team)
Go to Top of Page

1 Crosby fan
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1454 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2006 :  18:59:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by spearbelly

[Good topic...........Stupid list............Really MAXIM , would you want Grapes pickin the top 10 hottest shemales????? If the All Time Toughest Bastard list is supposed to encompass BRUTE STRENGTH , SCRAPPING , HITTING (giving and receiving) ,PLAYING HURT (battled scarred and bruised) including returning from medical mishaps , then the list is 1/2 Nuts.Doug Jarvis????? I mean not that he wasn't tough(92% of all hockey players are tough),but do you then include Gary Unger, Steve Larmer etc??If returning from injury or medical mishaps is considered and Gary Roberts isn't near the top of list , then why a list?????For BRUTE STRENGTH Where sits the Tim Hortons the Cam Neelly and Clarke Gillies types????For Tough Bastard Scrappers , Where are the Stan Jonathon,John Ferguson and Dave Browns or Hammer Dave Schultz(hell 9/16ths of the Broad Street Bullies team)

True
Go to Top of Page

Guest9223
( )

Posted - 12/10/2006 :  19:51:36  Reply with Quote
hello, where's bobby orr on that list. five or six knee operations and he still led our great country to canada cup vicotry in 1976 with his left knee in tatters (receiving the MVP award). THATS ONE TOUGH BASTARD FOR SURE, AND HE SACRIFICED HIS BODY FOR HIS COUNTRY.
i definitely agree about bertuzzi, dirty cheap bastard.

there have been so many great tough players (maurice richard, gordie howe, terry sawchuk from the early days, oh and black jack stewart but thats probably a little too much ancient histroy).
Go to Top of Page

1 Crosby fan
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1454 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2006 :  20:12:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9223

hello, where's bobby orr on that list. five or six knee operations and he still led our great country to canada cup vicotry in 1976 with his left knee in tatters (receiving the MVP award). THATS ONE TOUGH BASTARD FOR SURE, AND HE SACRIFICED HIS BODY FOR HIS COUNTRY.
i definitely agree about bertuzzi, dirty cheap bastard.

there have been so many great tough players (maurice richard, gordie howe, terry sawchuk from the early days, oh and black jack stewart but thats probably a little too much ancient histroy).

also true
Go to Top of Page

spearbelly
Top Prospect

Canada
98 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  21:41:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Agree.Apart from that series he took massive abuse from all opponents , especially in his first few seasons where most players took out their "You think you're hot eh kid " frustrations on the yet-to be proclaimed superstar.Long live ROBERT GORDON ORR('')
Go to Top of Page

1 Crosby fan
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1454 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  22:04:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by spearbelly

quote:

Agree.Apart from that series he took massive abuse from all opponents , especially in his first few seasons where most players took out their "You think you're hot eh kid " frustrations on the yet-to be proclaimed superstar.Long live ROBERT GORDON ORR('')

yep
Go to Top of Page

Novie
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
452 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2006 :  07:53:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eric Lindros...haha...wait, maybe I'm confusing 'tough' with 'too stupid to know which way is up because his brain resembles scrambled eggs'

Leaving Dave "Wayne's Bodyguard" Semenko off that list was a crime against humanity

Go Sens
Go to Top of Page

Guest9811
( )

Posted - 12/13/2006 :  09:49:05  Reply with Quote
I understand why Mario is #1, but if he is on there they would have to include Koivu as well. And Semenko should have been higher on that list. The one guy they dropped the ball on was not having Tony Twist there, referees were afraid to go near him, he could easily take on Probert.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4912
( )

Posted - 12/13/2006 :  10:32:07  Reply with Quote
has any one heard of Scott Stevens, dished uncountable concussions and bone crushing open ice hits and nobody messed with him
Go to Top of Page

spearbelly
Top Prospect

Canada
98 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2006 :  21:27:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4912

has any one heard of Scott Stevens, dished uncountable concussions and bone crushing open ice hits and nobody messed with him

He's #3 on the list.
Go to Top of Page

Blubberboy
Rookie

155 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2007 :  11:26:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
RUTTU IS NOT ON THE LIST?????
WHAT'S UP WITH THAT???

Go Canucks
Go to Top of Page

ryschevy1
Rookie

Canada
186 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2007 :  09:31:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know some will disagree but what about Ryan Smyth? The guy takes a beating in front of the net on a nightly basis and always comes back for more. Remember the '06 playoffs? He took a slapshot to the face, spit out a couple teeth and went for stitches and came back and parked himself back in front of the net looking for more! I believe he scored the GWG that night also.

GO OIL!!! YA!!!
Go to Top of Page

pucker
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
398 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2007 :  10:07:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blubberboy

RUTTU IS NOT ON THE LIST?????
WHAT'S UP WITH THAT???

Go Canucks

Ruutu is a disgrace. He turtles. Turtleing is not tough - it is cowardly. If the list was: Who plays with the biggest s*** eating grin on his face - Ruutu would win.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page