Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Poll - Who will have the most successful career? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2337 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2006 :  09:55:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Of these three young superstars, who will have the most successful career?

Choices:

Alexander Ovechkin
Sidney Crosby
Evgeni Malkin

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2006 :  14:16:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Malkin. Definitely. Sure, Crosby's got skill and he's hyped up a lot, but what's he done that Malkin hasn't? Crosby didn't score in his first six consecutive games as a rooke. Malkin did, and became the first rookie since 1917 to do so. And Malkin's scored some pretty interesting goals, including one back in Russia where he sort of whapped the puck into the goal while it was in midair and while he was standing on his knees. Don't get me wrong, Crosby and Ovechkin are still great players, but if you ask me, Malkin's the best of the three.
Go to Top of Page

Novie
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
452 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2006 :  05:00:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not disputing your point, but I do have one note:

Crosby entered the league having never played pro hockey before...Malkin had 2 (?) years in a Russian Superleague before coming to the NHL. Just another point of view.

Ovechkin will forever be Brett Hull crossed with Pavel Bure mixed with a bit of Bertuzzi. A big bruising winger who scores highlight reel goals, but is never regarded by many as "the best player in the game"

Go Sens

Edited by - Novie on 11/03/2006 05:00:48
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2006 :  07:23:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nevermind highlight reel goals Mik, that's not what will make a player great. I've scored nicer goals than that in my house league days but where are my pay cheques?

What hasn't Malkin done? I don't know the answer to these so these are actually questions but did Malkin play Major Midget (or the equivalent in Russia) and score 217 points in 81 games? Thing is, Crosby was only 14 playing against 18-19 year olds.

The Russian Superleague is supposed to be somewhat comparable to the NHL... Did Malkin score 102 points in this league when he was 18?

In Major Junior (or equivalent), did his line get almost 400 points combined (398) in one season?

Just thought I'd throw some numbers out.
Go to Top of Page

ultimatetitman
Rookie

Canada
244 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2006 :  15:41:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really hate to sound racist, or prejudiced, or whatever the term may be, but name ONE Russian who has had a great, long career. There have been some great players - Bure, Mogilny, Fedorov, even Fetisov, among others - but how many of them have been great year after year after year? Larionov had a long career, but would you consider him one of the best of all time? For whatever reason, it just doesn't happen. (Granted, if you had made every year a "contract year" for Mogilny, he'd be one of the all time greats)
Having said that, Ovechkin and Malkin are phenominal players, and I would love to be proven wrong... but I will believe that when I see it.
Crosby will never be Gretzky, there are just too many other good players, specifially defencemen and goalies, who will hinder him. But he will be one of the all time greats.

Edited by - ultimatetitman on 11/03/2006 15:42:30
Go to Top of Page

Guest4044
( )

Posted - 11/03/2006 :  22:13:08  Reply with Quote
I don't buy that "russian" argument at all. It may in fact be historically true, but it's irrelevant. Ovechkin shows all the signs of a champion and for the most part he's doing it alone. He was rookie of the year by a long shot in a year that had 2 years worth of rookies for cryin out loud! My vote is for Ovechkin. He has all the tools.

But credit where credit is due, all these kids are already superstars!
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2006 :  07:11:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bablaboushka

The Russian Superleague is supposed to be somewhat comparable to the NHL... Did Malkin score 102 points in this league when he was 18?

Actually the Superleague's not so comparable. If you score 30-40 points in that league, you had a very good season (according to Dave King, Metallurg's head coach). Malkin scored 47. Commenting on Malkin's points, King adds, "Over 100 points in an NHL season is what it is".

Edited by - Mikhailova on 11/04/2006 07:17:30
Go to Top of Page

Myles06-07
Top Prospect

91 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  07:39:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alexander Ovechkin.
He can hit, skate, shoot, score, own the league.
Alexander will have the best career but Crosby will almost have the same but in a different style.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  11:03:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Ovechkin as well for all the reasons Myles said above. I'm still not convinced that Crosby has the fortitude to go long in the NHL. Malkin, well who can argue with his skill set, but it's too soon to tell.
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  08:43:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's nice that Ovechkin can do all of those things, but with a more aggressive playing style also comes a higher proneness to injury. I've noticed that often when Ovechkin tries to dangle around players, he has his head down. Now as I'm sure Eric Lindros and Keith Primeau would be willing to advise him, that's never a good idea. Even the big boys can get clocked.
Go to Top of Page

ultimatetitman
Rookie

Canada
244 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  11:25:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guest... "I don't buy that "russian" argument at all. It may in fact be historically true, but it's irrelevant."
Historically true but irrelevant is a bit of an oxymoron, is it not? A bit...
Regardless, as I said, I hope I am proven wrong... Hell, I even hope you are right, but based on that "historical truth", I will believe it when I see it.
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  12:02:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ultimatetitman

I really hate to sound racist, or prejudiced, or whatever the term may be, but name ONE Russian who has had a great, long career. There have been some great players - Bure, Mogilny, Fedorov, even Fetisov, among others - but how many of them have been great year after year after year?

Well keep in mind that Russian players weren't allowed to play in the NHL until after the Soviet Union fell, and by that time many of Russia's great players were getting older, and their NHL careers didn't last as long as they could have (because of age), if they had the opportunity to play before the USSR fell.
Go to Top of Page

Trevman12
Rookie

Canada
182 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2006 :  15:48:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote]

Well keep in mind that Russian players weren't allowed to play in the NHL until after the Soviet Union fell, and by that time many of Russia's great players were getting older, and their NHL careers didn't last as long as they could have (because of age), if they had the opportunity to play before the USSR fell.
[/quote]
Good point.
Go to Top of Page

B-rett10
Rookie

Canada
186 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2006 :  19:57:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ovechkin will have the goals, Crosby will have the assits. I picked Ovechkin.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4044
( )

Posted - 12/18/2006 :  21:14:42  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Novie

Ovechkin will forever be Brett Hull crossed with Pavel Bure mixed with a bit of Bertuzzi. A big bruising winger who scores highlight reel goals, but is never regarded by many as "the best player in the game"

???? I'd say that pretty much makes him a candidate to be the best. LOL!!
Go to Top of Page

spearbelly
Top Prospect

Canada
98 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2006 :  23:39:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[re: Ovechkin or Crosby. Maturity levels and experience differentiation betwixed ,say, a 27 and a 29 yr old are virtually non existant .However between a 21 and 19 yr old.......there's more of a gaping hole.Thus I admire the level of play Crosby has reached to equate to a super talent such as THE BIG 'O' ........Crosby's imaginative playmaking and dazzling athleticism vs Ovechkin's explosiveness , passion and ability to execute at high speed ,are at equal levels of viewing pleasure yet at varying levels of "bestness" ,. pending the eye of the beholder .It's like comparing apples to hoola hoops.Both have styles where if they are lacking in areas,on a comparison basis,they make it up with ample merit,in other areas of their game.......so......mmm......oh yeah..........Ovechkin or Crosby...............I'd like to say ..........Nicaragua..........[but I can't]
Go to Top of Page

Guest2331
( )

Posted - 12/19/2006 :  14:25:29  Reply with Quote
I think Crosby

but i also think that Crosy passes too much, he needs too shoot more

Ovechkin needs to pass more....yes he has 20 assists or so, but most of those assists comes from him shooting and his team mates burring the rebound

I like Malkin, he has the same amount of goals and assists and he is compared to lemieux....size reach and not afraid of the corners.....if malkin wasnt in crosbys shadow he would be my pick....but he will always b #2 center with the Pens
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page