Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Western Conference - Pacific Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Edmonton
 McGeough Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lyall
PickupHockey Pro

360 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2006 :  01:51:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What the hell? How does McGeough get away with screwing Edmonton all the time? He clearly had no right to blow the whistle, yet he did. Time after time he makes teriible calls against the Oilers. Referes's like this should not be aloud in the NHL. He clearly dislikes the Oilers & makes it known in the play. Just beacause he can't take is head out of his ass long enough to see the differance between a stick and a glove.............I say he should not Ref in the NHL anymore. Ref's can't choose side; he obviously does.

lyall
PickupHockey Pro

360 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2006 :  02:24:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
www.petitiononline.com/firemick
Just watched the the replay's, cause I could only catch the last 10 min, & seen the awful call on the first goal. This is a joke. PLease sign the petition. Even if your not an Oilers fan, but as a hockey fan. The players are supposed to be the show, not the reffs.
Go to Top of Page

nazzy_19
Top Prospect

Canada
57 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2006 :  07:45:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1.) This was a blown call pure and simple, and there shouldn't have been a whistle on that play at all...

2.) The whole thing has been blown out of proportion because Hemsky put the puck in the net after the whistle. Although you can't really take what Turco says at face value, he says he stopped moving when he heard the whistle... right after the face-off, and sort of half-assed the save letting out a rebound, thus allowing Hemsky to put it in the net.

I don't know if Edmonton could've scored regardless, even if there was no whistle, but you never know. Turco is a very good goalie, and I don't see him giving out such a juicy rebound off a slapshot that he saw all the way.

Just my two cents...

PS. McGeough is a piece of s***, and is worse than Kerry Fraser in my opinion when it comes to calling a game. I don't see him getting suspended, but I've seen people resign in other professions for such outrageous blunders...

Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2006 :  12:15:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would love to assess the situation and present my opinion, but I have no idea what play you're talking about. Could you provide a link so me and others who might not have seen what you're referring to could make their own judgment?

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

lyall
PickupHockey Pro

360 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2006 :  12:46:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
www.edmontonoilers.com
Under "recent media" click on the "You Decide" link. This will show the slow motion replays of the 2 calls.
The fisrt is goalie interferace, no call was made, Dallas got the goal.
The second is a "hand pass" made by Shawn Horcoff in the faceoff cirlce. Keep in mind Mick is on the other side of the net when he made the call & there was a linesmen on the circle watching the play.
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2006 :  14:44:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok here are my takes:

1) I have absolutely no sympathy for an Oiler fan complaining about goalie interference. Why? First of all Dwayne Roloson is a cheater and I hate him. Second of all, Ryan Smyth is infamous for the move that Lindros made to Roloson, knocking his stick out of position. He has been doing this all of his career and he never gets called for it. Not to mention all of the goalie interference he has performed from his years of standing in goalies' faces, and not all of it had been called. Should it have been called? Technically, yes. But for all of the similar plays Ryan Smyth has gotten away with over the years... what goes around comes around.

2) I will give you this one. It is blatantly obvious Horcoff didn't make any contact with his hand. So he made a mistake, big deal. He was a little late making the "call" because he was getting out of the way of the rebound then Hemsky went in and shot the rebound in after the whistle. Refs do make bad calls but this one is being blown out of proportion because Hemsky kept playing after the whistle (Turco had clearly not made much of an effort to get over to stop it after the whistle blew) and shot the puck in. If everyone had stopped once the whistle was blown (which would have been difficult) and Hemsky hadn't shot the puck in, this wouldn't have been such a big deal.

Get over it, s**t happens. And yeah I know to you Oiler fans it "always happens just to you" but it happens to everybody. You gotta be good to be lucky and lucky to be good, maybe that says something about the Oilers.
Go to Top of Page

Myles06-07
Top Prospect

91 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2006 :  18:02:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mick is an idiot and we all know it.
Go to Top of Page

oil guy
Rookie

Canada
122 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  10:03:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sure we all know that the call was bogus and that sometimes sh*t happens but imo that the league should be doing something about refs that make horrendous calls. be it a fine or a suspension. the league has athe power to review a penalty and fine a player or suspend him after the fact, the refs should be also held accountable. i was at the game and i was pissed of but like smyth said maybe they should not wait til the last minute to make a game of it.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4055
( )

Posted - 11/17/2006 :  16:55:20  Reply with Quote
I was @ the Game stupid McGeogh is a Flames fan
Go to Top of Page

Guest8977
( )

Posted - 11/18/2006 :  15:24:47  Reply with Quote
Wish I had a missile launcher to use on McGayough
Go to Top of Page

Burns
Top Prospect

Canada
7 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2006 :  10:20:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure about this, but I think McGeough has been replaced for every game that he was scheduled to ref scince this incident. Has anyone actually seen him in action latley?

The Oilers are secretly the best team in the NHL

Edited by - Burns on 11/22/2006 13:30:16
Go to Top of Page

luckyluc
Top Prospect

Canada
26 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2006 :  11:09:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Burns

I'm not sure about this, but I think McGeough has been replace for every game that he was schedualed to ref scince this incident. Has anyone actually seen him in action latley?

Good question - I haven't heard much about him since this. Here is a link for those who haven't seen it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFzNKvddaXs

How does he figure Horcoff used his glove? On a faceoff of all things.
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2006 :  16:58:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have seen him in the highlights yesterday I think it was (for the night before). I forget under what circumstances or what teams were playing, but it was definitely him.

Get over the faceoff guys, it was a mistake...refs make mistakes all the time. He shouldn't have made a call from where he was but it was a judgmental error that is very common.

Listening to those commentators ticked me off. It you watch it quickly without paying 100% attention to Horcoff, it does look like he gloves it. Of course after 3-4 replays zoomed in and in slow-mo you can tell there's no glove but come on. Nothing ticks me off more than when commentators whine like that one was. That's why I hate Greg Millen. Ron MacLean will tell you first hand that it's easier to call from where the fans are sitting then when you're on the ice.

Waaaa

Edited by - bablaboushka on 11/22/2006 17:05:20
Go to Top of Page

Ripley
PickupHockey Pro

USA
365 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2006 :  17:05:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree babla, he's a decent ref who made a bad call. Nothing out of the ordinary. Whenever you have a human element you'll have error. They all balance out (Although the oil have had a few more than average in the last year) the game of hockey is better for it because it adds passion.

Go to Top of Page

lyall
PickupHockey Pro

360 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2006 :  08:23:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Burns

I'm not sure about this, but I think McGeough has been replaced for every game that he was scheduled to ref scince this incident. Has anyone actually seen him in action latley?

Well he Reffed the game last night in Van city.
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  15:36:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok this may not be directly related to McGeough, but to refs in general:

Any Oilers fan who ever complained about reffing in the NHL got paid back last night in their game in San Jose. The reffing WAS F***ING PATHETIC, ALL GAME. At one point, the Sharks crowd started chanting "BULLSH*T, BULLSH*T, BULLSH*T", something I'd personally never heard before.

From Mark Bell getting thrown to the ice while trying to get to Matt Roy just before he scored, to Pat Marleau getting a four-minute high-sticking penalty called by a linesman 15 seconds after a play had finished. It was ridiculous and even the commentators of the highlights I watched made comments about how questionable the reffing was.

I never want to hear an Oilers fan complain about reffing ever again.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  08:53:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was a mistake, Ref's make mistakes all the time. Maybe the linesmen shouldn't have made the call from where he was but it was a judgemental error that is very common.

Take a look at your posting from 11/22/2006 and everything I said above is the same comments you made after the infamous McGeough glove pass call.

Let's face it, every team gets screwed over a couple times a year. And hockey fan with any kind of passion gets upset over it. I think overall the Refing has been good this year. It sucks, regardless of the team, when a questionable call changes the outcome of a game.

I will continue to vent about the refs when they derserve it for Oiler games, no different than you will on the Sharks games. But c'mon, you are in 5th in the league. You can toss some charity to my Oil with a couple of points. You have a bunch. Weren't you taught to give charity to those who need it??

heheheheh, trying to get any help I can to get to the playoffs. Thanks Bab's, I'll get you back when you need it. I promise!
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  09:07:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well see, it wasn't just one mistake, it was horrible ALL game. Read the Recap of the game on NHL.com, it sums it up pretty nice.

I'm over it, no doubt, but I hate listening to Oilers fans who think they get screwed over all the time, or that "Refs who cheer for Calgary always ref Oiler games" or absurd stuff like that. Point being that what goes around comes around, and boy did it come back around for Edmonton.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  10:58:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Being from Edmonton, I agree with out. If the Oilers win, it was a great team effort. When they lose, quite often the refs are to blame. Thing is that a game like Wednesday happens, so the team has to deal with it. There is not a team in the league that gets special treatment (either positive or negative) from the refs.

Sorry the refing was bad, but I will take two point any way I can right now. Especially with the Oilers schedule in the time coming up to the All Star break. I have Minn, Calgary, Minn, Anaheim, Calgary as my next 5 games. If I can find a way to win 4 out of 5, I am back in 1st in the NW and 3rd in the West. The two points we "Stole" from the Sharks are a welcome gift. I admit we got some PP help in that game, but right now I have to take it where I can get it.
Go to Top of Page

-oil-country-
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
988 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  21:50:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

I have Minn, Calgary, Minn, Anaheim, Calgary as my next 5 games. If I can find a way to win 4 out of 5

you saying the Oilers gonna win the next 4 cause they lost to Minny tonight
Go to Top of Page

dummy101
Top Prospect

Canada
33 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2007 :  07:06:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I realize you guys and gals in the west are at a disadvantage because you probably don't get to see a lot of eastern games but to say"I think overall the Refing has been good this year"whoa.The inconsistency is worse this year than last.When 2 good refs are doing a game it is good,but when you turn on a game with certain refs within 1 period of play they have it ruined with made up makeup calls.Only 50% of the refs realize people are paying to watch the PLAYERS and not the REFS.The mics for penalties has gone to some heads.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page