Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Dany Heatley Traded to the San Jose Sharks Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2009 :  12:01:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=290808

This trade really shocks me to be honest. Not that Heatley was traded, but the return I though could be greater for a guy that has the potential to get 40-50 goals year in and year out.

Cheechoo hasn't found his game since he won the Richard Trophy awarded to the most goals in the league, and Michalek is unproven at best.

Although Michalek has the potential to be a good power forward, and Cheechoo has some potential to be a good goalscorer in the league, I think that Ottawa really bases most of this deal on potential. This is apparent in the 2nd in what is supposed to be a weak draft. And to boot, Ottawa loses 200 thousand dollars towards their cap.

All I can say is that if Michalek, Cheechoo and the 2nd don't pan out, this has the potential to be one of the worst trades in recent memory. Not to mention that Heatley will be playing with Joe Thornton.

Incredible.

sharksfan44
Rookie

Canada
228 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2009 :  12:48:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ya i couldn't be more happy with this trade. i did really like michalek and i hope he finds his true potential in ottawa. what im most happy about this trade is that san jose didnt give up patrick marleau. in the past few days with all these rumours about a three team deal with LA that involved marleau, so i was surprised to see he wasn't involved.
Go to Top of Page

Guest3652
( )

Posted - 09/12/2009 :  15:08:44  Reply with Quote
wow Thorton + Heatley + Marleau will be insane
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2009 :  11:03:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The return could have been greater for Heatley? Um . . . I guess so, but really, San Jose paid a pretty steep price already, in my mind.

Michalek, Cheechoo, 2nd rounder

Michalek, who is a young power forward type player, and always seemed ready to take the next step into assured first line status and over 30 goals, but still hasn't quite gotten there. Would be a very solid second line player on any team, and should give you 25-35 goals.

Cheechoo, the enigma. He is actually a very hard working player by many accounts, and of course had that one year with 56 goals and over 90 points, but has since fallen off the map. Last year, injuries helped him to his worst goal total (12) since his rookie season, and the hope of reclaiming the magic that he had with Thornton was abandoned. Still, he should be a solid second liner . . . he has the skill, and with new teammates and a fresh start, he should move up in the points department. I say he's good for 20 - 30 goals if healthy.

So, now we have basically covered Heatley's projected goal output (40 - 50 goals), and done it with two players who provide more depth and greater defensive responsibility. And, I still think Michalek is the key here, he is a very skilled young player who could easily break out with the right partners for a 80-90 point season.

2nd rounder is gravy, IMO.

So: from Ottawa's perspective, they are put under the gun and have to trade their star, malcontent player, and come out at the very worst even, with a slightly deeper team?

Best possible scenario for Ottawa, I hate to say. They win this trade, considering the circumstances they were given, but we'll have to see if Heatley throws SJ over the top into the finals, which is how this trade will eventually be judged. If so, it might be win-win for both, and even if San Jose falters again in the playoffs, I don't see a big loser in this trade.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2009 :  21:59:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Although I don't disagree with anyone who would say that Ottawa won this trade, I would not disagree with this trade being a wash either. Both teams got what they were looking for and gave up fair value to get it.

We don't need to get into what Ottawa wanted to do. But, getting not one but two immidiate 2nd line players is nice. And, as Slozo said, 2nd round pick is gravy.

And San Jose, although giving up 2 roster players, didn't lose anything they didn't have in reserve. Thornton, Heatley, Setoguchi, Marleau, Pavalski, and Clowe. Would anyone complain about that being the top 6 forwards on their favorite team??? Nope. And the potential (if there is any chemistry what so ever) of what Heatley and Thornton could produce is a scary thought for anyone in the West today.

As I said, Ottawa wins. But so does San Jose.
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2009 :  07:05:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quick question, doesnt SJ need to sign like 5 or 6 more guys to fill out the roster and they have 0 cap space?

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Go to Top of Page

sharksfan44
Rookie

Canada
228 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2009 :  12:08:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mattroberts85, actually ever since that trade san jose made with vancouver they cleared 4 mil in cap space. then with the heatley trade, they dumped about .250 mil in cap space. so they actually have about 4.2 mil in cap space. and they actually only need one more defensemen, and they're going to give it to one of their prospects who earns it during camp, so either nick petrecki or derek joslin, who i've only heard good things about. i just checked on sjsharks.com, they have exactly 12 forwards and only 5 D, and that 6th spot being the one the two rookies will battle it out. san jose has also invited dan hinote to camp, and he isn't officialy part of the roster yet, so theres another player.
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2009 :  13:14:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cool, thanks for the info sharksfan.

Thornton and Heatley are going to kill it in the west.

Thank God heatley isnt playing 6 games (used to be 8..) against the leafs anymore either, the guy had at least a 2 pts per game average against us since the lockout

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2009 :  12:36:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now, finally Leaf fans are giving Heatly his due. Now he`s an elite player with awesome offensive potential and not a hack who is bad in the dressing room. Dont respond I said the same about Sundin when I knew better.

I could see Cheechoo tanking and getting bought out or playing to the end of this contract and going elsewhere. We are all assuming Michalek performs as good or better after a relocation. I say Ottawa took all the risk here and I hope they see the benifits of this trade cause this could turn out very bad for them.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2009 :  15:15:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

Now, finally Leaf fans are giving Heatly his due. Now he`s an elite player with awesome offensive potential and not a hack who is bad in the dressing room. Dont respond I said the same about Sundin when I knew better.

I could see Cheechoo tanking and getting bought out or playing to the end of this contract and going elsewhere. We are all assuming Michalek performs as good or better after a relocation. I say Ottawa took all the risk here and I hope they see the benifits of this trade cause this could turn out very bad for them.

Really?? I see Cheechoo with 25 goals, 50 points and earning his paycheck this year. He will definately be on the 2nd line in Ottawa compared to the 3rd line in San Jose. Also, I personally believe that a player going from a West Coast Team to the east will almost always improve. Reason being is they spend about 3 weeks less in airplanes on the East Coast than on the west. Far less travel. I think Heatley will feel this impact as well off the start and will get off slowly. However, (big if on the chemistry part) with any kind of chemistry with Thornton, 45+ is still going to happen.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2009 :  15:41:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

I agree with Beans. While he's not likely to get near 50 ever again, he could find the net 20-30 times on the right line? Also, i don't think the Sens could have done a whole lot more when you consider the following:
1. limited to teams he'd accept a trade to
2. limited to teams which could fit him (cap-wise)
3. knowledge of other teams knowing he wanted out and the limited options mentioned.

They were somewhat handcuffed really.....
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2009 :  16:35:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, while I was the first to say the depth factor is tantilizing and Michalek is a quality player and if Cheechoo could return to form this is a straight up deal for Ottawa. Probably the best they could have done.

That does not say they have limited the amount risk they have now assumed. And to say Cheechoo will earn his paycheck is saying if he were to sign right now he is worth 4 million a year. I cant agree with that one. But the potential for this to be a great deal is there.

Wish they coulda figured in Marleau for another depth player from Ottawa instead of having to take Cheechoo. Other teams could have had Cheechoo for a song and a dance (prospect or mid draftpick). That was a salary dump for San Jose.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2009 :  16:46:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, saying Cheechoo will earn his paycheck is saying that if he gets 25+ goals and 50+ points that he will be worth the $3.5 million he will make this season and the $3 million cap hit. It has nothing to do with him signing for $4 million today????

And Marleau would have been a horrible deal. It's more than what's on the ice here folks. Marleau has publicly said that he does not want to leave the West Coast. If that is the case, he is a UFA next season. He would play one year in Ottawa and leave. That's garbage. And, there is not way you get a PPG player under the age of 30 such as Marleau for a depth player. To get Marleau, it's pretty close to Heatley straight up. That doesn't help Ottawa near as much as Michalek and Cheechoo, even if Cheechoo only gets 35ish points. He's also a UFA at the end of the year and is 1/2 the contract price of Marleau.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2009 :  16:54:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry mixed up Michalek at 4.25 with Cheechoo at 3.5 million. I guess a former first liner is worth 3.5 million. I must be outta touch. I didn't think these type of players are worth that much.
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2009 :  20:14:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sigh... my Sens have lost our true Goal Scorer, Mr. Heatley.

I will say, I'm not overly happy with the trade. We've traded a TRUE 50 goal scorer, for two 20 goal scorers and a 2nd rd pick, that may or may not prove useful down the road.

I'm not sad that Cheechoo and Michalek are now on Ottawa, but I am dissapointed it came at the cost of Heatley. :/

Irvine
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2010 :  07:36:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After 67+ games:

Heatley: 36g, 36a, 72 pts
Has played his usual self, but no outstanding chemistry really with super-Joe. One might think that Heatley should be putting up numbers like this playing with anyone . . . but the numbers are pretty darn good, so what else can you say?

Michalek: 22g, 11a, 33pts
Not too bad, but nothing spectacular at all. He may surpass his high of 26 goals this year, but his assist total is way down, and he hasn't shown anything that says this guy can be the go-to scorer when need be. A little disappointing.

Cheechoo: 5g, 9a, 14 pts
Continuing to prepare his exit from the NHL . . . in fact, it may already have happened as he has been in the inors since February. A bust.

2nd Rounder: Still to come.

San Jose looks like they win this trade handily, and yet . . . Ottawa has surprised many by being the quietest team in 5th spot. For a team that looked like it would be in disarray after Heatley left, they look pretty darn good actually, despite Cheechoo failing and Spezza being injured for a bit and Leclaire being a bust as well. So, despite winning the trade for now, you have to ask yourself: was Heatley really that much of a cancer in the dressing room?

Right now, looking ahead to the playoffs . . . I smell another early round disappointment in San Jose. Detroit anyone?

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2010 :  07:43:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

Right now, looking ahead to the playoffs . . . I smell another early round disappointment in San Jose. Detroit anyone?

I am going to go out on a limb and say no way. I think the Heatley addition, Marleau having a career season, a coach actually playing his best players on the same line, no glaring weakness in the line up top to bottom, as well as the Olympic experience for 8 of their player (5 Medals on that team!) is going to push them over the edge. I also think that the 8th place team in the West is going to be Nashville or Calgary. I think Detroit is going to get into 7th and possibly send Chicago packing. As much as I love that Chicago team, Huet is not a goalie to bank on and Neimi isn't experienced enough.

But I've also being talking up San Jose for 4 season, so it's just as likely they are out.

Slozo, you willing to put my avatar on the line again. San Jose wins their first round, I can take down the Leafs. They lose, the Leafs stay until opening night next season.

You in??

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2010 :  09:01:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beans - not a chance, dude!

No, I am very much looking forward to a blue leaf beside your name for two months . . . why would I take away that one small joy I, as a Leafs fan, can have all playoffs?

But we'll see how the match-ups round out and we can make another bet . . . could be interesting anyways, as Calgary could still sneak in if Nashville slumps as well, and with experienced teams like Calgary and Detroit at the bottom of the pile, it might not be such a cakewalk for the top two or three teams.

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2010 :  09:36:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

Beans - not a chance, dude!

No, I am very much looking forward to a blue leaf beside your name for two months . . . why would I take away that one small joy I, as a Leafs fan, can have all playoffs?

But we'll see how the match-ups round out and we can make another bet . . . could be interesting anyways, as Calgary could still sneak in if Nashville slumps as well, and with experienced teams like Calgary and Detroit at the bottom of the pile, it might not be such a cakewalk for the top two or three teams.

I gotta try, right!!

I would think that who ever is at the top of the ladder (SJ, VAN, and CHI) would rather play Nashville or Calgary. I don't think any of these guys want to have anything to do with Detroit. Now that they are healthy as firing, they are dangerous. Colorado, currently in 6th, matches up really well with most teams and Anderson has proven he can stand on his head for long, long stretches.

There may be more than one upset in the West this year.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2010 :  13:29:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beans, nice try on the "double or nuthin' type bet"! I gotta give you props for the effort!

Wait and see the matchups and maybe you could talk Slozo into something, however, as the top seed, you may have to settle for a compromise? Maybe you get to take the Leafs logo down after 3 rounds or something? I'll leave it to you two to figure out!
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2010 :  14:29:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not feeling a San Jose first round exit this year.

I believe these guys are more experienced now, having their key players still in the lineup for their last playoff exit. And they have added even more depth, including a 50 goal scorer in Heatley.

This team looks like it could be a contender, even with the past. It's a whole new season...

Irvine/prez.
Go to Top of Page

Sensfan101
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
500 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2010 :  14:46:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The second rounder got traded for Sutton who has fit in very well on the blue line. I am happy with this trade Michalek and Cheechoo did what was expected of the plus we got a decent blueliner.

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take Wayne Gretzky

Edited by - Sensfan101 on 03/16/2010 16:04:47
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2010 :  17:30:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheechoo did as expected?

I certainly did not expect Cheechoo to hit the 50 goal plateau, but I had hoped and expected more from him than 9 goals and being sent to waivers.

Irvine/prez.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page