Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Knee on knee hits Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

oil guy
Rookie

Canada
122 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2006 :  12:36:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it just me or should the leauge do something about players sticking there knee out on a check?
Last night Ryan Smyth got one that turned out less serious than it looked ( at least I hope it was).
The Avs player got two minutes.
If he blew his knee out would 2 minutes be fair?
If you high stick a guy unintenionally and cut him you get an automatic 5.
I think it is time for the league to deal out some biblical justice.
An eye for an eye. Start with a guarenteed 5 and reevaluate depending on the severity of any injury.
If a player hurts another player on a bad play be it a knee , elbow, or stick etc. they should be forced to sit out as long as the victim does.
Any thoughts guys?

Ryan Harper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
322 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2006 :  13:47:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agreed. The knee job has always been my biggest pet peave and needs to be eliminated from the game. It is the ultimate cheap shot and should be punishable with an automatic 5 minute penalty and a review from the league. If guys start getting suspended then maybe they will think twice.

"Some people skate to the puck. I skate to where the puck is going to be."
~Wayne Gretzky
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2006 :  15:06:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with you guys. Unlike hits to the head, knee on knee hits are 99% intentional and they can have serious repercussions, especially for the victim of the hit. I think suspending a guy for as long as the other is out is a little illogical systematically, even though it seems reasonable. I think the player should be suspended based on a combination of the intent and the severity of the injury. Not to condone this at all, but I don't think a player should be suspended any less for a knee on knee on someone who has a stronger knee than someone who knees someone who's had a knee injury in the past and would be injured more easily.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2006 :  15:23:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a tough thing to police though. In my experience playing I have given and been a recipient of kneeing. I can honestly say that the couple times I have been called on the infraction over 30 years of playing I have never intentionally done it. Fortunately I've didn't hurt anyone but I have been hurt by one before (missed a month)

A guy can make a quick move around you, you turn hard and your knee goes out in front. Or you go to shoot your hip out for a check and your legs move farther apart...wham...accidental knee. I agree with Babs that it should not be a one-to-one suspension but I also don't want the league to be handing out suspensions like candy either.

When are people going to learn that hockey is a contact and therefore dangerous sport. Percentage wise these things are rare, it's not an epidemic. Let the league deal with them as they happen. Don't blanket the game with more rules and regulations. We have enough already.
Go to Top of Page

oil guy
Rookie

Canada
122 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2006 :  08:22:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would let the league deal with it as it happens but they tend not to deal with anything.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4912
( )

Posted - 11/15/2006 :  13:15:41  Reply with Quote
I agree with you 100% on that one
Go to Top of Page

ultimatetitman
Rookie

Canada
244 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2006 :  13:21:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is one of those things where I think the league should be able to review the hit, even after the game is over. If there is obvious intent then there ought to be an automatic suspension of at least 10 games for the first infraction, escalating from there, with a 3rd infraction being AT LEAST a full season.
The reason they don't suspend the offender for as long as the player is injured is this: Suppose someone like Jerome Iginla or Joe Thornton gets a kneeing suspension, and the person they hurt was, say... Vancouver's Marc Chouinard. Now, if you were the GM of Vancouver, and you had a couple of big games coming up against San Jose/Calgary - or a playoff round against them - would you not keep Chouinard on the injured list? Injuries like this are too hard to diagnose with 100% accuracy, and it would get taken advantage of.
Go to Top of Page

lyall
PickupHockey Pro

360 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2006 :  20:27:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am jumping on the bangwagon. These plays need to be reviewed. 10 games is a little much. I don't think J.M. Liles intentionaly went knee on knee with Smyth. It seemed like a knee-jerk reaction (no pun intended). Smyth is going around, Liles wants to stop him, moves to get into position, Symth too fast, Liles too slow, knee on knee. Never the less, this play should be reviewed by the leauge.
Accidental: At least 1 game, depending on the severity. Intentional: 5 games, depending on the severity. In this case; 1 game. The Oilers arn't mad. Smyth isn't mad. But 1 game so players hold back from that knee-jerk reaction.

"I hate to advocate alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but they've always worked for me."
Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

oil guy
Rookie

Canada
122 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2006 :  09:39:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that is a good system for a automatic and up to five for a severe injury, but if it is a repeat offender the I think the penalties should double for each subsiquient offense.
Go to Top of Page

Ryan Harper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
322 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2006 :  10:04:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the NHL would benefit from handing out more suspensions for dirty plays for a couple of reasons. One it will make players think twice, and Two, it will eliminate 'payback'. Knee on knee hits seem to be talked about a lot after they happen and when made on star players, can lead to retribution like situations. What is wrong with throwing down a suspension for someone that breaks the rules?

On a side note, I have to agree with bablaboushka on the intent of knee jobs. I have been the giver and receiver of knee on knee's and lets just say, very rarley would someone 'accidently' stick their knee out. 99% intentional.

~Wayne Gretzky
Go to Top of Page

pucker
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
398 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2006 :  10:43:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the biggest injury problem facing the NHL is hits to the head. To me the solution is simple - place limits on the offensive lineman style shoulder pads. I was watching the Canucks/Wings broadcast on Tuesday and it showed Chris Chelios putting on his 100 year old shoulder pads. I would like to see all players go back to them.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2006 :  10:48:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Harper - I have to disagree, I'd say it's 90% UN-intentional. It is a play that happens in a split second. If you want to hurt someone you hunt them down and nail them, but I think most kneeings are a reaction and not premeditated.

Unimatetitman that was a good assessment and some solid insight on why not to go 1-to-1 on the suspension. I agreed already but now I'm in 100%

What about giving the Ref some discretion? What if there was a 5 minute major for a knee that the ref thought was not accidental. Then the league could review all "majors". I don't mind an escalating system where the player in question gets a single game for the first time, 3 games for the second, 5 for the 3rd etc. But I also think that the accumulation should be wiped clean after a while too. A career long accumulation of infractions would be too severe.

Having said that, I think there is too much legislation in the game already.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2006 :  10:51:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pucker

I think the biggest injury problem facing the NHL is hits to the head. To me the solution is simple - place limits on the offensive lineman style shoulder pads. I was watching the Canucks/Wings broadcast on Tuesday and it showed Chris Chelios putting on his 100 year old shoulder pads. I would like to see all players go back to them.

I agree 100% - I've been saying that for years. The pads now are shaped hard plastic with no give at all. They don't necessarily have to go back to the old pads that don't preotect from shoulder separations etc. but at least put some softer material on the outside of the pad so it's not knocking guys out.
Go to Top of Page

Ryan Harper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
322 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2006 :  14:03:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leigh

Harper - I have to disagree, I'd say it's 90% UN-intentional. It is a play that happens in a split second. If you want to hurt someone you hunt them down and nail them, but I think most kneeings are a reaction and not premeditated.

Unimatetitman that was a good assessment and some solid insight on why not to go 1-to-1 on the suspension. I agreed already but now I'm in 100%

What about giving the Ref some discretion? What if there was a 5 minute major for a knee that the ref thought was not accidental. Then the league could review all "majors". I don't mind an escalating system where the player in question gets a single game for the first time, 3 games for the second, 5 for the 3rd etc. But I also think that the accumulation should be wiped clean after a while too. A career long accumulation of infractions would be too severe.

Having said that, I think there is too much legislation in the game already.

I agree. Ref discretion makes sense. But I like the idea of an automatic major even if "accidental" (like the blood from a high stick rule)

Notice the "" around accidental. Two words: Brian Marchment. He has never thrown an accidental knee job. Ever.

~Wayne Gretzky
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2006 :  14:21:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone see the knee on knee against Nagy last night? (I think it was Jassen Cullimore who threw it). That was 100% intentional and it could have been much worse than it was. Cullimore only got a minor on the play. How are these hits supposed to disappear if all that is called is a minor? Gretzky was livid and rightfully so.

Nagy got his revenge though, came back and scored the SO winner.

Edited by - bablaboushka on 11/17/2006 14:23:00
Go to Top of Page

Guest8977
( )

Posted - 11/18/2006 :  14:34:44  Reply with Quote
The league still needs to update some rules, like the kneeing prob.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page