Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trades and Rumors
 Trade Rumour Forsberg! Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ryan Harper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
322 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2007 :  12:03:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest8346

quote:
Originally posted by tctitans

As a true die-hard Canuck fan.. All I can say is that Nonis would
have to be braindead to give up one 1st round pick for ANY
rent-a-player.

A 1st round pick aint chopped liver people!

You should ask Hurricanes fans if they mind that the team gave up their 2006 1st rounder for Doug Weight...

You make a good point. I would give up 10 1st round picks for a cup. Its all about rolling the dice. Forsberg for a first round pick is a no brainer. But the asking price right now is very high.

"Some people skate to the puck. I skate to where the puck is going to be."
~Wayne Gretzky
Go to Top of Page

Ryan Harper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
322 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2007 :  12:05:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

rent-a-player.

Always good to welcome another die hard Canucks fan to the forum. I do disagree and think that if Nagy is worth a first rounder then so is Forsberg.

~Wayne Gretzky
Go to Top of Page

Guest8346
( )

Posted - 02/14/2007 :  12:12:48  Reply with Quote
Absolutely. Whatever gets you the Cup is what you have to do. Obviously you don't sell the whole farm, but Forsberg is a marquis player when he's healthy, and he's dynamite in the playoffs. No doubt he's an injury risk, but sometimes you have to take that chance.

And did someone on the first page of this post actually suggest that Bondra is more valuable than Forsberg?? Stop smoking crack people.
Go to Top of Page

Ryan Harper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
322 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2007 :  12:13:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Absolutely. Whatever gets you the Cup is what you have to do. Obviously you don't sell the whole farm, but Forsberg is a marquis player when he's healthy, and he's dynamite in the playoffs. No doubt he's an injury risk, but sometimes you have to take that chance.

And did someone on the first page of this post actually suggest that Bondra is more valuable than Forsberg?? Stop smoking crack people.

I found that one quite funny as well.

~Wayne Gretzky
Go to Top of Page

Guest8346
( )

Posted - 02/14/2007 :  12:19:29  Reply with Quote
Seriously, I almost spit up my lunch when I read that insinuation!

I'm not a Vancouver fan myself, but I'm Canadian. Would love to see the 'Nucks field a couple potent lines for once. Foppa and Naslund would light it up along with the Sedins.

Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2007 :  13:28:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im not a Forsberg fan, but i first round pick is a good price for him

CANUCKS RULE!!
Go to Top of Page

tctitans
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
931 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2007 :  13:53:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

rent-a-player.

You should ask Hurricanes fans if they mind that the team gave up their 2006 1st rounder for Doug Weight...

And i'm sure they do mind. 23 games, 3 goals, and a -3 in the playoff run.
Go to Top of Page

tctitans
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
931 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2007 :  14:02:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan Harper

quote:

rent-a-player.

Always good to welcome another die hard Canucks fan to the forum. I do disagree and think that if Nagy is worth a first rounder then so is Forsberg.

~Wayne Gretzky

I agree. Nagy isnt worth a 1st rounder either. ;) Bravo Phoenix. Nagy is younger and 'less' injury-prone, but Forsberg is by far the bigger talent.

Don't misunderstand me. If I thought the Canucks (or any team) was extremely well balance and on the verge of being a Cup favorite, and they needed just one more piece (a la Forsberg) to solidify their run, then I could swallow giving up a 1st rounder. But, unfortunately, this aint the case! A 1st rounder is just too valuable IMO to give up to get a player for 3 months at this point. If I read my GMs right, Nonis is too smart to do this as well.
Go to Top of Page

tctitans
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
931 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2007 :  14:25:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest2897

I think one thing you Canucks fan have to consider is that with the new rules in the NHL, it is nearly impossible to build a team on young prospects now.

Please elaborate. This makes no sense. In the new NHL, this is the ONLYway to build a team.

Unfortunately the new rules only allow a player 7 years on a team b4 a move is almost guaranteed.

Translation please? again.. this makes no sense

This season, the Canucks have a team that is surprisingly winning a large number of games. Why is that? 1 reason...Roberto Luongo. This guy has stood on his head all season.

I can only assume you havent watched the Nucks for the entire season. I was very dissapointed in Luongo for the first 3 months
of the season. He wasn't bad, but he certainly wasn't a 6 Million dollar netminder. The Canucks came out of the gate playing great hockey. Outworked and outshot their opponents by huge margins, but they werent getting much puck-luck and this didnt show in Win column. The scoring drought was also a huge and painful period. After Xmas, Luongo has been amazing, and has finally single-handly put Ws in the right column. The Nucks are still working hard, but havent quite dominated upfront like they did earlier on. Perhaps it has been a change in philosophy (more quality shots rather than just shots?) i'm not sure. But, yes, Luongo is great now, and a huge part of our success. But you can say that pretty much about any good team.

The canucks have an outstanding line in Henrik and Daniel Sedin, and whoever they feel like sticking on Henrik's other wing. They are sitting on a decent 2nd line with Naslund and Morrison, but the 2 of them just can't seem to find the connection they once had. If the Canucks were to bundle morrison and a 1st rounder, or maybe morrison, a prospect, and a 2nd or 3rd rounder, picking up a player like Forsberg would be completely beneficial.

Of course it's beneficial for anyone to pickup Forsberg. He just might be the best (biggest impact) player in the league. But running a team is a business, and you can just look at any deal at face value at a particular instant in time. If he helps bring a cup, then whatever the deal is probably a pretty good deal. If he doesnt, you want to avoid a disaster.

I don't know if you saw the numbers Forsberg and Naslund put up in their Swedish league together during the lockout, but there is a reason

I did, and it's irrelevant.

that in the season after the lockout, Forsberg said he would sign with no team unless it was with Markus Naslund.

I'm sure he has his preferences... but believe you me, that he'll play for anyone that has a decent chance at a cup run and is willing to give him his multi-millions.

To rent him for the rest of the season would give the Canucks 2 explosive lines, an outstanding 2 lines on the defensive side of things, and a backing in net that is easily enough to take a team the distance.

Agreed that Forsberg will make a huge impact to any team - he's outstanding. 'Easily enough to take a team the distance'? C'mon.. that's just silly.

Just a reminder that in the playoffs, 2 great lines, 1 great defensive pairing, and a goaltender is what wins a team a cup.
To have all that including an additional outstanding de-line would be pretty unstoppable. I say good on them if they go after Forsberg. Lets just pray he stays healthy. The new NHL is about taking risks, so I personally hope they have the decency to take this one.

Disagree again. The new NHL is about NOT TAKING risks. In the past it was easy to fix blunders with extra cash - cant do this anymore. It's still a business, and teams are forced (more than ever) to think of next year and down the road. The key here is how to balance this philosophy with taking an 'educated risk' to try and give yourself the shot at the grail this year as well....

Feb 27th will be interesting! :)

Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2007 :  16:45:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Impossible to build a team on prospects? I know this issue has been addressed but I'll have you know that going by average age, San Jose is the youngest team in the NHL (yeah that's right, younger than Pittsburgh). They are the youngest team NOW and have the 5th best record in the NHL. IMAGINE them for the next 10 years.

And you guys wonder why I like them...
Go to Top of Page

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2007 :  16:59:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bablaboushka

Impossible to build a team on prospects? I know this issue has been addressed but I'll have you know that going by average age, San Jose is the youngest team in the NHL (yeah that's right, younger than Pittsburgh). They are the youngest team NOW and have the 5th best record in the NHL. IMAGINE them for the next 10 years.

And you guys wonder why I like them...

Really Babs....

I know they are doing really well but who are their young guns??

~~~~~GO STARS~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2007 :  17:04:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a link to their roster:

http://www.sjsharks.com/team/current_players.asp

You'll notice that Mike Grier, who only joined the team this year is their oldest player at 32!!! There are only two other guys older than 30 (Curtis Brown and Evgeni Nabokov are 31). Marc-Edouard Vlasic is their youngest player at 19.

But anyways, I realize that this is about Forsberg...

Edited by - bablaboushka on 02/14/2007 17:05:00
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2007 :  19:15:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pittsburg is basically build off of prospects as well.

And I hear ya Bab's, if SJ can keep that team together, they will be great for a long time!
Go to Top of Page

Guest8346
( )

Posted - 02/28/2007 :  09:54:48  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

rent-a-player.

Are you kidding me?? Take a look at the assists column. Weight is a set-up man, plain and simple. They weren't looking for extra goal production when they signed him. That's like asking Andrew Cassels to become a sniper. The addition of Weight gave the 'Canes an unreal amount of talent down the middle and that depth was a big reason why they went all the way.
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2007 :  10:54:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That guy up there who put up wieghts stays left out 13 assits not bad at all

CANUCKS RULE!!
Go to Top of Page

tctitans
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
931 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2007 :  11:05:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

rent-a-player.

Are you kidding me?? Take a look at the assists column. Weight is a set-up man, plain and simple. They weren't looking for extra goal production when they signed him. That's like asking Andrew Cassels to become a sniper. The addition of Weight gave the 'Canes an unreal amount of talent down the middle and that depth was a big reason why they went all the way.

I didnt forget the assist column. It doesnt change the point. Weight was pretty much of a non-factor during the run (yes, he was often out on the pp, but he wasnt personally very effective). He's lost many steps and is on the tail end of a good career. IF Weight was the difference between them winning or not, then it would have been worth it. My opinion after watching the run carefully was that he wasnt a big factor.
Go to Top of Page

Novie
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
452 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2007 :  05:32:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Patrick Berglund

WHO?

He's the 2006 1st Rounder that St Louis took with Carolina's pick.

Now what's your opinion on the deal?

Go Sens
Crosby is God
Tucker is a douche
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page