Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Western Conference - Central Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... St. Louis
 Can Paul Kariya Survive in 09/10? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2336 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  16:23:10  Show Profile
Poll Question:
The St. Louis Blues are glad to have 34 year old forward Paul Kariya back in the lineup. He's pulled off 4 huge points in the season-opening series vs. the Detroit Red Wings. No doubt the guy still has skill, but the real question is how many games will he suit-up for in this regular NHL season?

Choices:

2-19 games
20-29 games
30-39 games
40-49 games
50-59 games
60-69 games
70+

KariyaSelanne
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
297 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  16:48:05  Show Profile
He's back is gonna be lighting it up for sure, with the help of Oshie and I think he'll play almost the whole season just like he used to.
Go to Top of Page

brentrock2
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
571 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  16:57:00  Show Profile
Well I would say 50-59 games because he usually gets injured but hopefully he can survive the 09-10 season.

HABS RULE!!
brentrock2
Go to Top of Page

Guest9494
( )

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  17:31:10
he usually gets injured? you make it seem like hes a piece of glass. Please give me details that makes kariya a Gaborik injury wise
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  17:44:48  Show Profile
Just look at his history and you will see how often this guy misses time. He's had concussion issues, hip surgery, heck pick a body part and Paul Kariya has missed time with it injured.

He's missed an average of 16 regular season games through 14 NHL seasons and trust me, he has never been in the press box healthy. 11 games played last year, 51 with Colorado in 03/04, 22 with Anaheim in 97/98.

He's boom or bust. He played 82 games or 20. Still a huge impact player and easily a PPG player when he is healthy.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  20:15:59  Show Profile
Yeah, I am actually surprised that he looks like he's flying early . . . the hip thing is a major, major surgery for a pro athlete who skate.

I sincerely hope he puts in a solid season, he is a class act and was always an exciting player to watch as he certainly has the top line skills when he's healthy.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug

Edited by - n/a on 10/03/2009 20:16:23
Go to Top of Page

Guest9494
( )

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  20:32:53
yeah but the injuries wern't his fault you make it seem like he has no heart half his injuries were either because of dirty players or freak injuries
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  21:55:00  Show Profile
I'd love to see Kariya have a full season this year and have 80+ pts to go with it. He's a talent, but never gets to show it much.

Irvine
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 :  08:13:30  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9494

yeah but the injuries wern't his fault you make it seem like he has no heart half his injuries were either because of dirty players or freak injuries

I don't think anyone is accusing of Kariya having no heart. Hockey players get injured. Some get injured more than others. It has nothing to do with heart. And I don't recall any 'dirty plays' taking out Kariya. However, I could be wrong. There have been so many it's hard to remember!
Go to Top of Page

shinnyafterschool
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
375 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 :  08:33:50  Show Profile
I sure hope he stays healthy, he's my sleeper pick.

"Desire is the most important factor in the success of any athlete. "
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 :  10:07:25  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

quote:

I don't think anyone is accusing of Kariya having no heart. Hockey players get injured. Some get injured more than others. It has nothing to do with heart. And I don't recall any 'dirty plays' taking out Kariya. However, I could be wrong. There have been so many it's hard to remember!

Beans, how can you forget Gary Suter in 97/98? One of the dirtiest crosschecks I've ever seen - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tid_86o9M-o

I'd love to see Kariya play a full season, he's done it 6 or 7 times in his career, but I'm thinking 40-49. Too many old injuries to nurse, small guy, turns 35 this year, so healing/recovery isn't what it used to be. At $6 million a year that's a heafty price.
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 :  11:41:49  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by leigh

quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

quote:

Beans, how can you forget Gary Suter in 97/98? One of the dirtiest crosschecks I've ever seen - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tid_86o9M-o

I'd love to see Kariya play a full season, he's done it 6 or 7 times in his career, but I'm thinking 40-49. Too many old injuries to nurse, small guy, turns 35 this year, so healing/recovery isn't what it used to be. At $6 million a year that's a heafty price.

Yeah I was just gonna say that. Right after a goal and right before the 98 Olympics. Kariya is canadian and Suter is American. That was a huge blow to Anaheim and team Canada.

As for the topic I really hope Kariya plays a full season. But it's true he had his share of injuries in his career. And NOBODY said he has no heart.
Go to Top of Page

sharksfan44
Rookie

Canada
228 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 :  13:30:20  Show Profile
i say 60-69 with my heart, but logically im the same as leigh, 40-49 games. it would b awesome if he could play more though and i'd b so thrilled if he could play the whole year.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 :  23:42:02  Show Profile
That Suter cheap shot was a blow to Kariya, Canada, the Ducks and hockey and it's fans in general. So sad to have to miss the games in Japan (Nagano) as he's "half Japanese".
Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2009 :  01:06:05  Show Profile
since the lock out/strike whatever you want to call it last year was the first time Paul Kariya has missed any games due to injury...

I think he'll play 70 or more games

...And the LEAFS Win the CUP
Go to Top of Page

KariyaSelanne
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
297 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2009 :  21:56:14  Show Profile
I think if he would have stayed healthy the last couple seasons leading up to now he would be a great pick for Team Canada in 2010, with his veteran presence, experience and overall skill. Who could forget the goal by Kariya against Team USA when Pronger fed him a pass through Lemieux's legs!

What do you guys think?
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2009 :  00:55:08  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by KariyaSelanne

I think if he would have stayed healthy the last couple seasons leading up to now he would be a great pick for Team Canada in 2010, with his veteran presence, experience and overall skill. Who could forget the goal by Kariya against Team USA when Pronger fed him a pass through Lemieux's legs!

What do you guys think?

I have to agree, and in fact, i'd say he's one guy who's prob not been ruled out just yet. If he has a good first half, he could be a guy that gets a look when the team gets back together. Bit of a longshot maybe, but of the guys out there who weren't invited, he's at the top of the list for a last second tryout!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page