Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey Pools & Fantasy Hockey
 Injury PlayerDebate, Please Read. Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Guest5843
( )

Posted - 10/07/2009 :  14:37:45  Reply with Quote
My hockey pool group is currently stuck as to what to do.

We have five teams, and the person who is currently in first lost Markov.

He wants to drop him and be able to pick up another player.

However, the rest of the members dont agree.

Anyone have any suggestions that would be fair?

Guest4662
( )

Posted - 10/07/2009 :  15:28:32  Reply with Quote
when running a pool you should have all rules finalized and available to all members in your group so there is no confusion with these kind of things
Go to Top of Page

Guest5843
( )

Posted - 10/07/2009 :  15:38:38  Reply with Quote
We did agree that what we had would stick, but he's a bit upset considering he's out for 4 months - year.
Go to Top of Page

Guest5843
( )

Posted - 10/07/2009 :  15:39:23  Reply with Quote
Agree^ .. Why didn't you write out all the rules. Did you guy's bet because if this was my pool i would back out or be angry
Go to Top of Page

Guest5843
( )

Posted - 10/07/2009 :  15:56:37  Reply with Quote
too bad, yahoo has a better pool maker. Hope you didn't lay down money on this pool
Go to Top of Page

Guest5843
( )

Posted - 10/07/2009 :  16:02:02  Reply with Quote
should he be able to drop and trade, or not?

Go to Top of Page

Open_Ice
Rookie

Canada
109 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2009 :  16:09:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Every two months (or whatever you choose) each person is allowed to switch one of their players for one not picked? (draw for order beforehand)

I think it's great that you are doing something about the four month loss. It's nice and should help keep the pool more competitive down to the wire, which is always the best part in my opinion!
Go to Top of Page

Guest7478
( )

Posted - 10/07/2009 :  16:26:30  Reply with Quote
If everyone agreed to the rules before the pool started then he should deal with it. Injuries, trades, suspensions, etc. are all a part of pro hockey and it just adds another layer to consider when drafting.

Maybe for next year you can add the ability to trade for undrafted players, I do this in my pool but at a cost ($10 per trade) and with a maximum per year.

Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2009 :  20:01:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The decision for trades or dropping players has to be made before the start of the pool. After that, if the majority agrees, then the majority rules.

Today it's Markov. Tomorrow, it could be Ovechkin. Players get injured. That's part of the game and therefore becomes part of pools as well.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  04:45:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, did you guys agree beforehand that if one of somebody's top defencemen gets injured for at least half the year a game or two into the season, that you could pick another player available? Did you define how long the injury had to to be . . . 2 months? 3 months? 4 months - but that's if the doctors are predicting correctly, right?

If you didn't have the rule beforehand, you still don't have it, so, it doesn't exist. Meaning, everything stays as is.

The biggest mistake I have ever made is making an injury/trade rule for a pool or two back in the day . . . you will never get such whining and complaining if everyone isn't allowed to bend one rule or the other a bit.

In the end, you have to run your pool like a strict school headmaster: you pick, you pay, that's it. I have found that the most effective and FAIR way to do it.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  07:59:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Couldn't agree more with Slozo.....

Stick to the rules set out in the beginning. Not sure if this is your first time as a group doing this sort of pool but let it be a lesson learned. In smaller pools, it's nice to have either a trade option or a simple drop in case of injury? However, as Beans said, you change something now for this guy and it sets a precedent. You'll end up in a bind when the next significant injury occurs!
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  15:20:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a good question. How would you feel if you changes something to his advantage and he won. If the majority dont see a problem, then ok. If the Majority see a problem with that then you have your answer. I for one wouldn't allow a Guy with a disadvantage back into the game, but thats cause I'm addicted to winning.

In all of my pools the rules are the rules, and if you whine and we harras you until you dont whine anymore. I think its a good system.
Go to Top of Page

CaliforniaSeal
Top Prospect

Canada
99 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2009 :  19:35:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been in a draft style pool for over 17 years now and every year we have a rule that clearly states we can have trades during the xmas break. This way if your star player is out for the season after his first game yo have a chance to replace him. Person in last place gets first pick in the trades.

No cup for Dino, what a shame
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page