Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Heads Up!
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Dobber
 Radulov Gives Sneak Preview Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2006 :  10:50:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By Darryl Dobbs

The Nashville Predators had an extremely tough time sending Alexander Radulov to the minors. Their last cut in training camp was ready for the NHL, but in the end he was the only player left that could be sent to the American League without having to clear waivers. So in the end - he was.

We are all familiar with his history. A 52-game point streak last year in the QMJHL. An 11-point game in his second-last regular season QMJHL contest. CHL MVP. Memorial Cup MVP.

His time in the AHL has consisted of 18 points in 10 games, including a six-point game, and a five-point game. It is clear that Radulov is an elite keeper-league prospect. Now that he is in his second tour of duty with the big club in this young season, he is proving to be the prospect that has inherited the crown from Pittsburgh's Evgeni Malkin as the top prospect to own in a hockey pool.

Steve Sullivan, the Predators' leading scorer this season with 24 points in 19 games, is also their top producer per minute. Radulov is second. The youngster has produced a point for every 15 minutes and 45 seconds that he has played at the NHL level. He is averaging under nine minutes of ice time per game, but has still managed four goals in nine games. Power-play time? Who needs it? Radulov has averaged under 30 seconds of ice time on the power play for Nashville, ranking him 12th on the team.

The 20-year-old is forcing the Preds to make a move of sorts, because when Jason Arnott returns from his knee injury around Christmas time, they will not want to send this kid back. For keeper -league owners who were hoping for evidence that this kid is the real deal, you have it. Expect a 100-point season some time in his career. You can't say that about many prospects, but if you say about anyone - Alexander Radulov is the top candidate…

Meanwhile…

Still on the topic of Nashville, winger Martin Erat has quietly put up 20 points in 21 games. The 25-year-old is breaking out in a big way in this his fourth full NHL season - typically the season when a skilled forward breaks out (note: his 27 games that he played in 2002-03 is excluded). He will beat his career-high of 49 points, and take a run at having a 70-point year. Don't expect the 77 points that he is on pace for, though…

With all the Alexander Frolov's-on-a-hot-streak hype, what poolies may have missed is that he is taking rearguard Lubomir Visnovsky right along with him. After starting off the year with just six points in 14 games, the 30-year-old has 11 in his last 11…

New York's Petr Prucha is pointless in his last seven games, and in the last five he has taken a total of three shots combined. He should be a 30-goal scorer again once or twice more in his career, but his skills are better suited on the second line, where he will chip in 45-60 points per season…
==============================
For more fantasy tips, visit www.dobberhockey.com

Have an opinion on Dobber's article? Let us know. Just hit reply below and post your thoughts. Anything goes...but keep it clean.
PickupHockey.com is your online hockey community. We're always looking for sharp volunteer writers. If you feel that you'd like to contribute please send us an email at admin@pickuphockey.com

Ryan Harper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
322 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2006 :  09:37:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I took Radulov in my pool and then had to drop him right away as I got laughed at when he got sent down. Its not a keeper pool so no point in hanging on to him. Even now I consider picking him up again but I am not sure if he will get the minutes in Nashville. I am pretty sure that if he was given top line minutes like Kopitar and Malkin he would be producing like them as well.

"Some people skate to the puck. I skate to where the puck is going to be."
~Wayne Gretzky
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page