Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey Pools & Fantasy Hockey
 Should I consider a Goalie Swap? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HawkinOilCountry
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
318 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2009 :  10:06:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my pool a goalie gets 2 points for a win and an extra point for a shut out. To swap a player for an undrafted player requires an additional buy in.

I have:
Cam Ward
Chris Mason

Notable undrafted Goalies based on 09/10 season to date:
Anderson
Quick
Bryzgalov
Theodore
Khabibulin
Huet
Vokoun
Turco

Would you swap? I want to stand by my goalies but it's gettin harder and harder to do.

The arena wall in chicago should be credited with a goal.

MSC
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
601 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2009 :  10:09:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Turco is looking to be very much back on his game. He'd be a safe pick to swap Mason with I would have to think.
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2009 :  11:58:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah Turco or Anderson for Mason.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2009 :  11:58:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would say to keep Ward. He plays a ton of games and will get his points in the long run.

Anderson, Bryzgalov, Turco, and Khabibulin will also get 60+games each and more than likely 30+ wins. These guys are locks as their teams #1 for the entire season(barring injury).

The others, well I wouldn't go with any of them. They have a reasonable risk of becoming their teams #2 just as easily as their #1. Huet's been weak to this point, Quick and Vokoun are on teams that won't win long term, Varlamov will be the #1 in Washington by Christmas.

Mason for Khabibulin or Anderson would be my personal preference.

That's kid in ATL will get a lot of starts too, but I don't think many wins. Unfortunate, because he is a SICK keeper
Go to Top of Page

HawkinOilCountry
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
318 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2009 :  12:08:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the input guys. I've narrowed it down to:
Anderson
Khabibulin
Turco

Need to do some contemplating now :)

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2009 :  12:34:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got Ward in one of my pools. Been thinking about a swap as well and considered Turco, Anderson and even Quick. I worry about Anderson for the same reason Beans says to stay away from the "others". I don't know if Colorado is simply playing over their head and will come down to earth soon? I really think LA is a better team (finally) than people realize and think they will actually continue their strong play longer than the Avs will. Maybe not at the pace they're on, but overall i think they'll finish ahead of the Avs by season's end? The other guy to consider would be Huet. I know he's not the best in the league and Ward is def better but look at the team he's on. Chi is/was picked by many to challenge for the div and possibly the conference. May not get you a ton of wins but being on a top tier team can't hurt as he'll likely get a lot of wins. Oh, and he's started 10 of their 13 games so it's certainly not a split goalie system in Chi, at least not yet? Just my thoughts.

I'd def consider swapping Mason out for one of the above mentioned though.....
Go to Top of Page

Guest4134
( )

Posted - 11/02/2009 :  13:48:33  Reply with Quote
Is Khabibulin really going to get that many starts? I'd put him at 60 games tops where Turco played 72 games last year.

And is Anderson going to hold up over the seaon? Can anyone see him playing 65-70 games? Does he have a team in front of him that is going to win? Or are they playing over thier heads?

Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2009 :  15:57:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4134

Is Khabibulin really going to get that many starts? I'd put him at 60 games tops where Turco played 72 games last year.

And is Anderson going to hold up over the seaon? Can anyone see him playing 65-70 games? Does he have a team in front of him that is going to win? Or are they playing over thier heads?

Exactly and Turco was having a bad season. But they got Auld this year so they wont overplay Turco so he can be ready come playoffs time. But if Turco is playing well and Dallas are fighting for playoffs, he could easily play 70+ games.

And if assist as any value that's a bonus for Turco.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2009 :  20:36:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Look at the coaching in those cities. Good team or not, they want to win. They will ride those horses until the drop dead.

Anderson will get the majority of starts of Budaj

Khabibulin will get the majority of starts over Druin-Deslauriers

Turco will get the majority of starts over Auld.

And one I missed earlier, Vokoun(best goalie in the league on a sub-.500 team) will get the majority of starts over...................................who the heck is FLA's back up???

The bottom line in picking a "non top 5-7 goalie' is the number of starts. Most goalies will play .500 hockey or close to it. So the real answer is not who is the better goalie, it's who will get the most starts and complete games.

Stay away from teams with a 1a and 1b goalie. Go for a legitimate #1.
Go to Top of Page

HawkinOilCountry
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
318 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2009 :  07:44:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Went for Anderson. We'll see where this takes me. Thanks for the input guys.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page