Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey Pools & Fantasy Hockey
 Opinions on picking up a goalie....? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2009 :  08:01:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In one of my pools, we (18 teams) have 1 goalie who rec's 2 pts for a win and 2 more for a shutout. Currently i have Varlamov who's not doing bad but shares the net too much with Theodore. I feel the need to make a swap and there's some decent ones available. Of the ones i'm considering, who would you recommend?

Available:

Jonathan Quick (LA)
Chritobal Huet (CHI)
Jonas Hiller (ANA)
Marty Turco (DAL)
Chris Osgood (DET)

Quick gets almost all the starts on a team which is better this year (finally) than most expected. Huet has been sharing the load somewhat but has pretty good upside potential on a strong team (better now that Toews is back). Hiller, if the Ducks can find their game has the potential for some shutouts? Turco, may be a little underrated on Dallas team which may surprise a few? And Osgood, as much as Detroit has struggled a little more than they're used to, continues to backstop a top tier team?

What do you all think?

Edited by - willus3 on 11/13/2009 18:03:20

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2009 :  09:35:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Turco, Turco, Turco.

Talk about a goalie that will get most of his teams starts. even with Auld there, Turco get's 2 of 3 starts. His save % is high and almost always gives his team a chance to win. 6 wins and 4 OTL in 12 games. Those 4 OTL could be wins just as fast. I also like Dallas as a sleeper to quietly get 40ish wins. Turco will get 30+ of those.

But really, I think it's only a matter of time until Varlamov gets the #1.

I'm not sure if I would make a trade now, unless you deadline is coming up. I would wait for another month to see what pans out.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2009 :  13:34:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beans, thanks for your reply....i've been leaning towards Turco but can't deny the others all bring something intriguing too. Quick was my other thought, although unproven somewhat, he gets almost every start on a pretty decent Kings team?

I also agree with the fact Varlamov may eventually get the starters spot outright, but it's not exactly a guarantee like Turco who's already the obvious number one? We're allowed to make 10 trades throughout the year so i'm not worried i couldn't get another goalie if something happens to the guy i pick up? I could always get Varlamov back if i wanted as long as i beat the others to him if he did get the starts down the road. Most guys are pretty set in their G's, unless of course of an injury?

I think i'll take my chances with Turco?
Go to Top of Page

Guest6911
( )

Posted - 11/14/2009 :  12:22:47  Reply with Quote
osgood is off to a slow start but look for him do share the net a lot even after he settles in again, the wings will want the backup to get som time in there to prove himself for down the road
hiller- jiggy is back and wants his job back it will be a battle for this kid to see 40 starts
quick I just don't know if he will hold up to his job title as a number one watching him play theres something lacking even with a great offence he could crumble9just an opinion though.
Turco the guy above was right turco is very skilled and I think dallas may be sleeper the key being maybe
Huet on the other hand has proven to be capable of maintaining a #1 job and he;s got caged dynamite skating in front him and these guys are only going to get better with the return of toews and the impending return of hossa
I'm in 4 pools right now sitting with two #1's and 2 #3's not bragging though. This has all been opinion I guarantee nothing
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2009 :  00:40:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
6911....thanks for your thoughts!

I went with Turco, and Huet was my other finalist so to speak. Hopefully Turco can get me a couple shut outs as i think Huet will get a few more wins!
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2009 :  12:18:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Huet has proven what now??? That is a is a perenial back up who has shown a couple of hot streaks over the past 3 seasons.

He has played in 15 games this season and is 9-4-0, but he has also faced significantly less shots on goal (328) comparatively to goalies with the same number of games (Fluery - 407, Hiller - 457, Miller - 428, Emery - 431, Luongo - 394). Considering that only 3 of those goalies have a worse GAA and only 2 of those goalies have a worse save percentage, I put Huet on the lower bottom half of the starters in the league today.

From the Edmonton Sun on Sunday, the rumor is that with Giguere unhappy in Anahiem, he looks to be in form to move to Chicago. Apparently, one GM suggested that Huet finishing this season in the American League would not be a surprise.

I would avoid Huet like the plague. Not only because he is not that good, but also because Chicago is expected to go deep and contend for the Cup. If he starts sliding at all, they will go with the rookie.

Edited by - Beans15 on 11/16/2009 12:39:32
Go to Top of Page

HawkinOilCountry
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
318 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2009 :  12:24:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Huet is a scary goalie to pick up. Having watched as many Chicago games as I can, I say with confidence that he is the weakest link on an otherwise strong team. I really hope Beans is right in saying that they won't stick with him.

Edit: English is fun!

The arena wall in chicago should be credited with a goal.

Edited by - HawkinOilCountry on 11/16/2009 12:24:51
Go to Top of Page

Tiller33
PickupHockey Pro

389 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2009 :  14:53:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
picking solely on the amount of playing time he will recieve and the team infront of him id go with Quick
Go to Top of Page

Guest6911
( )

Posted - 11/16/2009 :  18:35:11  Reply with Quote
when you look aat huet your also looking at the team in front of him I think pool wise he may not be the best goalie but in points he could be a number one conteder when chicage turns it on. and they have cap issues to begin with I doubt they'll go for anything large and look at my stats I'm #1 in two pools and #3 in 2 more and one of the one's I'm #1 in has 73 teams but hey this early in the season anything is possible right?
Go to Top of Page

Guest6911
( )

Posted - 11/16/2009 :  18:42:32  Reply with Quote
and beans keep in mind it's all about the wins and starts it doesn't matter how many shots you face in the standings look at drydens numbers in the 70's he had the one of hockeys legacy teams in front of him
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2009 :  00:18:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the comments guys. It came down to Huet and Turco with Quick not exactly ruled out. I like, as Tiller mentioned, the fact that Quick gets almost ALL the starts and LA is a lot better than many realize.

Regardless, Turco is mine. I guess i have to be like that Leaf fan who sold his loyalty and start cheering for Dallas?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page