Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey Pools & Fantasy Hockey
 Sharing Starters Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HawkinOilCountry
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
318 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2009 :  12:12:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm looking at both Chicago and Washington and trying to figure out what the crap they plan to do with thier goalies.

Both teams have high paid "starters" that are decent to above average this season, and they're splitting games with "backups" that are playing extremely well.

Are Theodore and Huet going to stay on thier teams this season? Or are they trade bait?

Looking at Washington it seems they're playing Varlamov more and more and Theodore is watching more games from the bench. Is Semyon the new starter?

And in Chicago Huet and Niemi have both been playing quite well. Are they going to keep sharing ice time?

It seems to make more sense to me to have a decided starter going into the second half of the season. What are your thoughts?

The arena wall in chicago should be credited with a goal.

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2009 :  13:06:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Huet is solid in Chicago and is going no where. Not a chance that Bowman and Quinnville want to head into the 6 week trek for a Cup with a rookie goalie who has extremely limited experience.Plus Huet is signed through 11/12 for $5.625 million per. That is not a salary that many if any GM's in the league will swallow up. However, if Chicago wins the Cup and Huet plays well, he will be a more appealing trade in the offseason if Chicago needs to save some cash.

Now Washington is a completely different story. Theordore is making some pretty sharp cheddar. $4.5 million is a steep price for a middle or more like bottom of the #1 road goalie. However, the one saving grace is that Theodore is a UFA at the end of this season. So if a team does pick him up, it will only be for a short while. The only way that Theodore goes anywhere is if a legitimate condender has their #1 go down or a legitimate contender wants a few months of insurance.

Rest assured that Theodore will not be resigned in Washington next season. And I would not be surprised to see a steady diet of Varlamov until the Caps get a nice spot locked down for the playoffs.

Edited by - Beans15 on 12/14/2009 13:08:31
Go to Top of Page

Tiller33
PickupHockey Pro

389 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2009 :  14:50:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After watching the way Michal Neuvrith played agaisnt the Leafs one Saturday I can't see George Mcphee being to anxious to get rid of Theodore unless he can get an improved back up in return. Varlamov is a rookie so there will be some nail biting closer to the deadline and playoffs.

Similar situation in Chicago in that their team is built to win now and that the Blackhawks don't have a clearly better option than Huet. Niemi looks promising but do you want to place your playoff hopes on that?

Personally I don't see either team making a move.

There's a lot of dirty old occ's around thats the problem
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2009 :  22:48:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree, neither team is likely to make a move during this season considering they're both top tier cup contenders!

No way does Chicago rely on an unproven goalie. If one was gonna make a move, it'd be Washington, but as Beans mentioned, with Jose being a UFA at season's end, he make far more sense as an insurance plan going forward. Nuevirth is pegged as a future started and could push for the number 1 job one day but likely not for another year or two at least?
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2009 :  17:12:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Worst case for both teams, they split like Toskala and Nabakov did for San Jose. (And this is not a bad scenerio,)

This will also entice other GM's (providing both goaltenders for each team), play very well to take on cap space next season for Huet. Or, to get good value in Niemi, if they go that route for whatever reason (likely not, they need cap)

Irvine
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2009 :  04:56:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't see Washington making a move, they need both goalies for this year - the change will come after the Cup run, when Theodore is sure to move.

Chicago . . . I also see them keeping both goalies this year - as everyone knows, it has to be this year for them, the team will be losing some players in the off-season. They'll ride whoever's hot into the post-season, not a bad situation at all.

Having two decent goalies has worked before for cup winners, and it'll work again in the future.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page