Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Theo Fleury Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

oil guy
Rookie

Canada
122 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  07:02:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I a major newspaper Theo Fleury was quoted as saying
"I know I was a great player, probably one of the top ten guys that ever played the game. Creative. Electrifying. All that stuff. Yeah, I could have worked harder, but I was extremely talented."
So my question, was he?
Could he comeback and compete in todays NHL that is more geared to smaller, faster, more skilled players?
Should he try another comeback or should he just stay sealling concrete with his new business venture?

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  10:13:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I certainly don't think he was in the top ten but if he was in his prime today, he would be comparable (skillwise) to Daniel Briere. He was small, extremely speedy and had a wicked release. As an ex-Manitoban, I was embarrassed by his behaviour off the ice, and that's what he is remembered for.

Hard to think though that this guy scored 455G, 633A, 1088PTS in 1084 NHL games. He tore up the WHL when he played there and still holds a few NHL recods to this day (most points as a Flame - 830, most shorthanded goals in a game - 3, best +/- in a game - 9). If he would have stayed out of trouble, he would have been something special, especially today where his skillset and size would have earned him big bucks and lots of success.

Edited by - bablaboushka on 12/12/2006 10:15:51
Go to Top of Page

oil guy
Rookie

Canada
122 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  11:07:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree he was a great player but for him to say top ten all time, i thought was a stretch.
I still believe that he was more involved with the sheldon kennedy incident and could not get past it and as a result shortened what might of been a very incredible carreer.

Go to Top of Page

1 Crosby fan
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1454 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  12:26:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
maybe top 25
Go to Top of Page

Guest4912
( )

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  12:41:09  Reply with Quote
for fleury to say he was top ten is just ridiculous.

i say top twentyfive.

i will give him this - he was electrifying and entertaining, one of the funner guys to watch.

that was arrogant of him though.
Go to Top of Page

ultimatetitman
Rookie

Canada
244 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  15:44:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Years ago, Mike Fountain made his NHL debut with Vancouver, against Calgary. Fountain's debut was somewhat impressive, as he shut out the Flames.
As the final whistle blew, Theoren Fleury went to the goal, where the puck ended up, grabbed it, and threw into the crowd, depriving Fountain of a well deserved trophy.
I'll bet you can guess my feelings for him!
Still, even if I was totally objective... top 10? Come on! Few players had more heart, I'll give him that! But plenty had more skill. Hell, there are at least 10 players in the league today with more skill than he had.

Growing old is manditory, growing up is voluntary.
Go to Top of Page

spearbelly
Top Prospect

Canada
98 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  22:10:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AS much of a whack job as Theo was/is I can't believe he made that statement.Perhaps tongue in cheek-like. Nonetheless ,even though his type of game (Heart , grit , determination ,playmaking ability and scoring touch) shouldn't go unnoticed.......of all the greats prior and since Fleury , even HE should be honoured to place in the top 100.
Go to Top of Page

Novie
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
452 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2006 :  07:46:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oil guy

"I know I was a great player, probably one of the top ten guys that ever played the game. Creative. Electrifying. All that stuff. Yeah, I could have worked harder, but I was extremely talented."

Yes, I agree...best Beer Pong player EVER

Go Sens
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page