Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference - Atlantic Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Montreal
 Penner to LA = LAME Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  03:57:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Fair enough. Consider Penner a Lucic clone who hits and fights less. Doesn't mean he is not physical.

My point was beans is he is not the right fit for the habs and he does not turn the habs into a cup contender,,, with or without Penner the habs do not get past Philly the Bruins or Vancover and to win the cup they would have to play at least one of these teams if not all three!

"I led the league in "Go get 'em next time." - Bob Uecker
Go to Top of Page

JonPolley
Top Prospect

Canada
49 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  04:51:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Patsy what Gauthier did by not getting the major piece that he did was just as bad as saying they give up on the playoffs this year.. so YES.. sell off everyone, get a bunch of draft pics and look towards the future BUT that will never happen in a market like Montreal.. or Toronto even.. they will never have a year where the say they will be "building towards the future" cuz people would lose their minds if that happened.

But thats exactly what they need to do. The future looks crappy in Montreal. Prospects they have now look Ok'ish.. but nothing special. The team is aging and we have no draft picks. So yes sell off what you have now while you still can and get some young guys, and when you get a chance to get that big guy you need you get him instead of sticking your finger up your butt and saying he would cost too much.

Yes Penner would have been an upgrade.. whether he's lazy or not, like Beanz said.. doesn't mean he's NOT physical.. and not physical is an upgrade at any standard right now for the Habs.
Go to Top of Page

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  04:56:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Fair enough. Consider Penner a Lucic clone who hits and fights less. Doesn't mean he is not physical.

Penner:
GP G A PTS PIMS HITS SHOTS %

62 21 18 39 45 63 137 15.3
Lucic
60 27 19 46 88 135 135 20.0

Very similar outside the hits, nod to Lucic.

Edited by - ToXXiK1 on 03/02/2011 05:00:30
Go to Top of Page

Guest4746
( )

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  07:55:42  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ToXXiK1

quote:

Penner:
GP G A PTS PIMS HITS SHOTS %

62 21 18 39 45 63 137 15.3
Lucic
60 27 19 46 88 135 135 20.0

Very similar outside the hits, nod to Lucic.

Switch these players teams and you probably have the same numbers just the other way around?
Go to Top of Page

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  08:40:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agreed, I gave the nod to Lucic because of the supporting cast he has.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4178
( )

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  09:19:12  Reply with Quote
First of all, I think the Oilers did the best they could with the trade, especially since Penner was only guaranteed to be with the team one more season. It definitely doesn't hurt the Oilers to be without Penner for the stretch run, because they are actually better off to finish dead last rather than 28th or 29th. (I'm not suggesting it's the team's goal though.)

Prospects are prospects (even first rounders, especially those in the latter part of the first round), so it's speculative on how Teubert will turn out for the Oilers. The Kings first round pick will be middle of the pack at best (probably 17th or 18th), and if you look at the history of mid-pack picks, some turn out to be stars, some are so-so, and there are many duds who never play more than 50 games in the NHL.

As a coach or GM (especially if you're trying to build a winner), Penner is a frustrating player. I don't agree that he's a physical player – he's just a big player with very good hands, who doesn't like to use his size. (I agree with Beans' comment that he's tough to knock off the puck though.)

The Oilers need players who want to win at all costs. I'm very impressed with the young talent, who despite a losing season, work hard every shift. Penner doesn't display the emotion, care or interest most of the time, so he sticks out like a sore thumb. I've made this comment before, but no one saunters on the forecheck like Penner. The Oilers are better off without him, and the future will tell whether Teubert and the first round pick make this trade a win or a big win for the Oilers. At the very least, my opinion is the Oilers made a good deal, and it could turn out to be a great deal.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2011 :  16:56:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He's like an uninspired Franzen. A mule in front of the net, I'd even venture to say he's got better playmaking skills. If someone, other than Anaheim, can motivate this guy, look out. Would have like to see this guy back with Getzlaf and Perry.
Go to Top of Page

sahis34
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
591 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2011 :  18:25:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Penner has better hands then lucic,
Lucic just wants to win more

Go OILERS Go!!!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page