Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Collectables
 Wayne Gretzky breaks yet another record... Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  18:46:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From All-headlines News "Gretzky's rookie card sold for a record $94,163 at an online sports memorabilia auction Sunday. California-based SPC Auctions said it was the highest price ever paid for an ice hockey player's card.

The card sold Sunday was believed to be in mint condition. Increasing the card's value was the fact that it was graded a 10, a pristine rating, by evaluators from PSA."

The dude doesn't even play anymore and he's still breaking records!

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  07:40:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This card is not normally this high, however Mint condition cards being 30+ years old are super rare.

I know a buddy who's Mom went out and got Gretzky rookie cards for both her son's in like 1981. She didn't want them to fight over who's card was who's so she wrote the one kid's initials on the card in ball point point. I bet that cost the value of that card by 50%-70%.

The worst part of the story is that kids brother, who potentially had a mint condition card, used it the spokes of his bike!!

That's gotta hurt!
Go to Top of Page

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  08:02:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember having rookie Bobby Orr's in mine.....sigh
Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  12:42:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had the card. Like most of my collection, though, it got a bit frayed from elastic bands and tainted with model paint. Sold it to my mom for $5 in the late 80's when hockey cards started to become worth something. Coincidentally, it was also about the same time that I started smoking. Yeah. Five bucks a pack of smokes back then.

The Oil WILL make the playoffs in 2012.
Go to Top of Page

FutureKesler
Rookie

Canada
122 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  17:52:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I once had a Alexandre Daigle rookie card. Thought it would be pure gold............

The Oil WILL not make the playoffs in 2012
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page