Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey History
 Brilliant minds that never sipped champagne Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2011 :  03:32:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Who is the best NHL coach who never won a Stanley Cup?

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2011 :  06:08:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pat Burns comes to mind.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2011 :  06:40:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah - Pat Burns would have been my #1 choice if not for his Stanley Cup win in 02/03 with the Devils.

Barry Trotz, Jaques Martin, Pat Quinn are my top three . . . and the one who I feel the worst for is Pat Quinn, who came oh so close with both Philly and then later Vancouver, and wasn't that far away with Toronto either really. Quinn was a guy I really respected, and he always seemed able to get the best out of his players, so he is probably my #1.

That being said, I think Trotz is one hell of a coach, and I think Martin is (maybe was?) an excellent coaching mind and a brilliant tactician.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2011 :  09:36:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thinking to more recent years because I am younger, Dave Tippet comes to my mind.

This guy has consistently gotten 45+ wins every year and has only missed the playoffs once in his career. He seems to do the most with nothing each and every year.

I hope one day he gets to hoist the Cup before he is done.
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2011 :  09:45:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the Pat Quinn suggestion, he gets my vote.
Go to Top of Page

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2011 :  17:30:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Roger Neilson was very innovative in the late 70s. He might have been too Xs and Os though. Any thoughts on him?

What about our good old friend Don Cherry? Too short a period to judge maybe. But a great record with arguably a team that "overachieved." They were quite good, yes, but when you think that his teams, essentially, came within two games of the Cup on two different occasions in the era of perhaps the greatest team ever in the late 70s Habs (certainly rank as one of them), it makes you wonder just how much he contributed to them getting there in terms of his motivational and other coaching abilities. Sure, he screwed up royally at the end of Game 7 in '79 but should one colossal mistake ruin, or atleast greatly tarnish, one's overall record? Hmmm, maybe yes?

Edited by - andyhack on 12/02/2011 17:48:05
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2011 :  04:27:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andyhack

Roger Neilson was very innovative in the late 70s. He might have been too Xs and Os though. Any thoughts on him?

What about our good old friend Don Cherry? Too short a period to judge maybe. But a great record with arguably a team that "overachieved." They were quite good, yes, but when you think that his teams, essentially, came within two games of the Cup on two different occasions in the era of perhaps the greatest team ever in the late 70s Habs (certainly rank as one of them), it makes you wonder just how much he contributed to them getting there in terms of his motivational and other coaching abilities. Sure, he screwed up royally at the end of Game 7 in '79 but should one colossal mistake ruin, or atleast greatly tarnish, one's overall record? Hmmm, maybe yes?

Why do you think Cherry stayed in a broadcast booth shortly after that and never returned to NHL coaching?

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Guest4572
( )

Posted - 12/04/2011 :  17:52:09  Reply with Quote
Billy Reay-----former Blackhawks coach in the 60's & early 70's. I agree with whoever said Don Cherry too. Two other names to think about are Lindy Ruff & Bryan Murray.
Go to Top of Page

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  09:23:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lindy is a great candidate!
Go to Top of Page

Stamkos a Hab
Top Prospect

Canada
74 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  10:54:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What about Ron Wilson .

P.S The only reason I'm nominating him is because of his career in San Jose.

Sucks 2 be the rest of ya
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  19:17:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andyhack

Ahh, Neilson, mister video review. A pioneer really.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page