Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference - Atlantic Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Ottawa
 Ottawa Senators-Playoffs? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sensfan101
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
500 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2012 :  18:22:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
At the start of the season most people myself included picked the Sens to finish last overall. One poster even said something along the lines of this is the worst team in the post-lockout era. As of right now they are fifth place in the eastern conference. So my question is do you think they will make the playoffs?

Choices:

Yes
No

Guest9453
( )

Posted - 01/08/2012 :  20:23:17  Reply with Quote
I think they will...this upcoming month will be hardest for them, but if they can escape with even a .500 win rate for the road games I think they may as well be in.
Go to Top of Page

Guest5091
( )

Posted - 01/09/2012 :  06:35:51  Reply with Quote
Barring a major injury, they'll make it, particularly with how ridiculously fast Karlsson keeps improving...

He's got 15 points in his last 11 games. He was +5 in his last game, which is a game that Ottawa had 4 goals against... He's +9 in his last 6 and only has 1 game where he was a - in his last 10+. Only 2 where he wasn't better than even.

I know lots of people say he can't play defense but he done an admirable job of it against other teams' top players. If you ignore the first 10 games, when the players were getting used to the new coaching and so forth, he's +13, which is respectable. Some other big named defensemen, on better teams, are hovering around that number too (Keith 13, Lidstrom 18, Weber 12, Boyle 9, etc.)

So yeah.. Barring a long injury to him, Spezza or Alfie, the Sens are making the playoffs.
Go to Top of Page

Porkchop73
PickupHockey Pro

640 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2012 :  03:42:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well Sensfan, its hard for me to admit, but the stats are on their side and I do believe they will be in the playoffs. Huge surprise for me but hey, they are playing well.
Right now it looks like we both are losing the bet we made. I don't know if thats a first in PUH wagers but hey at least it means our favourite teams are doing better then we thought.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2012 :  14:20:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
:) this makes me smile. I felt at the beginning of the season I was the only person on this site that didnt feel the sky was falling in Ottawa. Nice that the team felt that way also. Gonna name this years team the heart attack kids. More come from behind wins in the 3rd than any other team in recent history. I definatly see this as a playoff bound team. May not end up in 5th like they currently sit but a good fight for 6-8 wouldnt surprise me. Given how well they have answered the critics and adversity this year, I wouldnt want to be the team against them in the 1st round either.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2012 :  23:01:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, tough for me to say SEnsfan, but I have had a lot of grudging respect for your team this year - they have battled REAL hard, and they are the heart attack kids, for sure. Fun games to watch, and I look forward to the next one against my Leafs.

I voted no. Not out of spite or hatred (too easy ) but from a plain opinion on where they are because of miraculous comebacks. It cannot keep happening, and statistically, won't. They must come back down to earth, and when their scoring starts to dry up, the goaltending will be exposed for what it is (mediocre at best) and the team will take a serious dip in the standings. It's all that, combined with Washington and Buffalo being out of the playoffs right now, and I feel each will make a serious run to get in eventually.

But great on them for exceeding expectations . . . they certainly have played WAY better than I ever thought they would so far.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Shepsky
Rookie

Canada
211 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  04:18:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know what would be great? Toronto and Ottawa both in the playoffs, maybe they will even face each other round one, and Toronto will man-handle them, just like old times!!
Go to Top of Page

Guest2943
( )

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  12:52:07  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shepsky

You know what would be great? Toronto and Ottawa both in the playoffs, maybe they will even face each other round one, and Toronto will man-handle them, just like old times!!

Shhhhuuusssshh! Not listening! LaLaLaLaLa!

To be honest I am just happy at this point of the season both are in contention. I am very unhappy when the playoff appear solely i the USA. Sad we cant have all 7 canadian teams.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  12:52:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry last was me
quote:
Originally posted by Guest2943

quote:
Originally posted by Shepsky

Shhhhuuusssshh! Not listening! LaLaLaLaLa!

To be honest I am just happy at this point of the season both are in contention. I am very unhappy when the playoff appear solely i the USA. Sad we cant have all 7 canadian teams.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2012 :  10:31:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agreed JoshuaCanada.

As long as my Leafs are in the playoffs, I would love it if the Habs and Sens were also in (did I mention that this is totally contingent on the Buds making the playoffs?). Better rivalries, better hockey for the Canadian fans, more excitement.

Best Case Scenario:

Montreal finishes strong and somehow squeezes into 8th. Ottawa finishes 7th. Toronto 5th or 6th, doesn't matter.

Montreal beats Boston in the first round. Ottawa beats . . . some strong contender, let's say the Rangers. Toronto plays Philly and beats them somehow. Second Round, Toronto plays Ottawa and smokes them, Montreal also moves on and Toronto/Montreal conference final, and Toronto meets and defeats . . . Edmonton in the finals.

That would be my absolute dream Stanley Cup playoffs.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Guest4465
( )

Posted - 01/14/2012 :  17:12:21  Reply with Quote
slozo that would never happen.

Toronto meeting Edmonton in the Stanley is a complete joke. The best Canadian team at the moment is the Vancouver Canucks. If any Canadian team makes it to the Finals it will be the Canucks again. Hopefully this time, they won't have another meltdown.

Although it would be nice to see all the Canadian teams in the playoffs, its not going to happen. Atleast not right now.

My bet for this years playoffs is, Vancouver finishes 1st in the league, Calgary somehow squeezes into 8th in the West (if Cammalari and Iginla have a good 2nd half)

Toronto finishes 7th, and Ottawa finishes 8th in the East.

NHL needs more Canadian teams. Put a franchise in Quebec City, another in Toronto, and one in Hamilton. A long shot would be putting one in either Saskatchewan or the Maritimes. Both long shots but would none the less have immense support from the locals
Go to Top of Page

spade632
Rookie

Canada
247 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2012 :  20:43:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Sens are, after tonight's game (3-2 Shootout win against Montreal) sitting in 5th in the East (tied with Philly at 56 points and 1 point behind Boston for the Division lead (and, currently, 2nd in the East).

Pretty good for a team that plenty of people thought was going to be a cellar-dweller this year because of the "rebuild."

As to whether or not they make the playoffs, if they keep playing as they have been (currently on a 5 game winning streal), I'd bet on them making it. That said, I don't think they'll be in as one of the top seeds. I think they'll make it somewhere in 5-8.

To be fair, it should perhaps also be noted that the Senators do have the most games played (46) in the East and that those North of them in the stands have between 41 and 43 games played which, conceivably, would make a difference in the standings.

Edit: Sports Club Stats currently has the Sens at 87.1% chance to make the playoffs. (For those of you who haven't been to / don't know of the site, it tracks the chances of each team in the NHL making the playoffs).

Edited by - spade632 on 01/14/2012 23:58:47
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page