Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trades and Rumors
 Are you Snowing Me? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Guest4178
( )

Posted - 06/25/2012 :  12:00:40  Reply with Quote
According to nhl.com (and the Columbus Dispatch), it was reported that the Islanders offered ALL of their picks to the Blue Jackets to get Ryan Murray with the second overall pick.

So essentially, the Islanders GM (Garth Snow) offered the Blue Jackets picks Nos. 4, 34, 65, 103, 125, 155 and 185 for the second overall pick.

If this is true, I think the Blue Jackets should have taken the deal. The fourth overall pick turned out to be Griffin Reinhart, and while Ryan Murray looks to be the better defenseman today, who knows who will be the best player in 3-4 years? And surely one or two of the remaining picks could turn out to be a decent player.

But on the other hand, Ryan Murray could be a top 1-2 defenseman for years to come.

Time will tell, but for a team to have 12 picks in a draft (albeit staggered over six rounds), including a fourth overall pick, is a pretty good position to be in. But Columbus' GM Scott Howson must have really wanted Ryan Murray to turn down the deal. And he must surely believe that Murray will turn out to be a better prospect than Griffin Reinhart, or whoever else would have been available in the number four overall spot.

Guest4315
( )

Posted - 06/25/2012 :  19:23:58  Reply with Quote
The Islanders were willing to trade all their picks to get Yakupov not Murray. They said they would do it if Edmonton drafted someone other then Yakupov. Columbus wanted Murray. Therfore if Edmonton drafted Murray Columbus may have felt they lost the guy they wanted and traded for more picks.
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2012 :  12:59:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4315

The Islanders were willing to trade all their picks to get Yakupov not Murray. They said they would do it if Edmonton drafted someone other then Yakupov. Columbus wanted Murray. Therfore if Edmonton drafted Murray Columbus may have felt they lost the guy they wanted and traded for more picks.

all the reports i read seem to point to the Ise wanting Murray

Anybody with ability can play in the big leagues. But to be able to trick people year in and year out the way I did, I think that was a much greater feat.
Bob Uecker

Go to Top of Page

Guest4377
( )

Posted - 06/26/2012 :  17:13:20  Reply with Quote
The Islanders were determined to pick defensemen. They used all seven of their picks on defensemen, the only team to do so in this year's draft.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page