Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference - Atlantic Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Buffalo
 Briere and Drury are gone...now what??? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

manninm
PickupHockey Pro

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2007 :  05:32:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Day one of free agency gave us a good idea of what life post lockout is going to be like. Drury and Briere are now gone, accepting offers right in the range they were expected, a range the Sabres must have determined was too much for their liking. Not only that, most all of the top free agents are now signed.

The Sabres must now move on, but with a 12+ million surplus in expendable cash, their fans are hoping they'll at least do something. So what should they do?

I think it's clear that they had no intention of making noise this offseason. They must think they're OK without bringing in somebody to fill Drury and Briere's role. Perhaps they're working out a trade with a team like San Jose, who has tested the waters with regards to trading Patrick Marleau.

Because the demands on a goalie are mostly mental, it means that for a goalie, the biggest enemy is himself." ~Ken Dryden

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2007 :  07:34:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We're kinda sunk after yesterday, but man if we could get Marleau....

Babs wouldn't be too happy though
Go to Top of Page

Kashmire
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
506 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2007 :  08:18:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What's happened to Babs anyway? I haven't seen him post anything recently.
Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2007 :  08:57:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think we should re-sign Danius Zubrus and Todd Bertuzzi. With those two and Paul Gaustad, we have 3 power forwards and the rest are all skilled players. Another good d-man would help to.

But rite now I have no idea what Buffalo will do.
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2007 :  11:43:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kashmire

I e-mailed him--he's been busy with work, but he said he'd try to log on and post something this weekend.

Anyway, I like the thought of Bertuzzi's name on the back of a Sabres jersey. He would add grit and physical play to the team.

Edited by - Mikhailova on 07/02/2007 11:43:39
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2007 :  12:12:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Babs is probably devastated with the loss of Toskola and Hannon

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2007 :  21:57:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailova

quote:

I e-mailed him--he's been busy with work, but he said he'd try to log on and post something this weekend.

Anyway, I like the thought of Bertuzzi's name on the back of a Sabres jersey. He would add grit and physical play to the team.

NOO!!!!!!!!!

He's in Anaheim now. Has Buffalo even offered anyone a contract?
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2007 :  07:28:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know, this sucks. He's back with the Ducks.

I dunno if Buffalo's even offered. Considering that they haven't signed anyone I doubt it. They've got a $12 million cash surplus, they can at least do SOMEthing!
Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2007 :  10:47:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It will be tough to replace 164 points, and great leadership...

I think Toronto will be ahead of Buffalo at the end of the 2007-08 season...

I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
- - Marshall McLuhan

Go to Top of Page

SlowShot
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
264 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2007 :  11:32:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya toronto this year could possibly get second in their division. With the loses that the Sabers faced and Souray leaving Montreal this could defiantly be toronto in the playoffs Some may say well it's just Souray and he lacks the defensive game but still he ran Montreals powerplay and he added a toughness to there team.

Pickup hockey pool
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2007 :  17:31:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PuckNuts

I think Toronto will be ahead of Buffalo at the end of the 2007-08 season...

That would suck sooooo bad. The only reason TO's any good now is because of Toskala. If the Leafs make the playoffs it's all cuz of him. Toronto's gain will come not by a plethora of extra skill, but by the losses suffered by other teams in their division that will make the Leafs look better because it'll be easier for them to win. However, Buffalo's not completely dead. They'll still be in the playoffs, I could see them ahead of Toronto in points. We'll just have to see.

And happy Fourth, manninm!

Edited by - Mikhailova on 07/04/2007 17:33:59
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2007 :  12:31:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Briere explains why he chose Philly...

http://flyers.nhl.com/team/app?articleid=326926&page=NewsPage&service=page

“They are just so committed to winning and that impressed me" he said.

WHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...wow...I seriously laughed out loud when I read that. If 56 season points is your idea of "committed to winning", then that's your problem, Danny!

Yeah, NOW they have better players but he was talking about previous seasons when he'd been observing the Flyers. After last year I don't know how he came up with that comment. Obviously he couldn't have been referring to the coming season where they're expected to do well because that hasn't happened yet.
Go to Top of Page

Kashmire
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
506 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2007 :  12:56:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're just sour because he left the Sabers. He makes perfect sense.
Phili's new GM has done an outstanding job there. He brought in Biron, he played the market in the Forsberg trade, Timonen and Hartnell are gold, Lupul and Smith make it even better. They do have a new winning mentallity. Again you ar eprobably just being sour because of Briere's decision to desert Buffalo. They want to win! They couldnt have dont nearly as good of a job to put them in the position they ar ein now. They needed to wait. This new GM is very smart I think.
Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2007 :  14:15:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If Briere wanted to win why didn't he stay with the team that had 113 points and 53 wins?

Play with Hartnell, Timmonen, Gagne(at the time since he signed before Lupul and Smith) Or go play with Afinogenov,Vanek,Roy,Connelley,Tallinder,Lydamn,Campbell,Miller,Hecht,Pomminvill Shall I go on?
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2007 :  14:28:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Timonen and Hartnell are gold, Lupul and Smith make it even better. They do have a new winning mentallity

The GM didn't choose Timonen and Hartnell, he only offered them money. THEY chose Philly . Obviously everyone's gonna offer to good players, and just because these guys took Philly's offer doesn't make the GM smart and that doesn't make the team more committed to winning than anyone else, because EVERYONE offers money to the good UFAs. Every team is committed to winning. Lupul and Smith he got through a trade, and one would certainly hope he tries to pick up better players after last year--that doesn't make him smarter than other GMs, it just proves he's following the logical course of action that any other GM would do in his place. And by the way, Lupul had a grand 28 points last season...that's real outstanding.

And yeah I am sour he left the Sabres. You would be too if he were on the Leafs and left.

Edited by - Mikhailova on 07/09/2007 07:00:02
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2007 :  14:32:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PainTrain

If Briere wanted to win why didn't he stay with the team that had 113 points and 53 wins?

That's a good point, and kind of sends Briere's "I want to win" argument out the door. He didn't want to win, he wanted more money. If he really wanted to win he would've stayed with the better team.
Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2007 :  07:15:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If Briere wanted more money, then why did he not sign with Montreal, they offerd him more than Philadelphia did...

I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
- - Marshall McLuhan

Go to Top of Page

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2007 :  08:10:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that Briere saw a new up and coming NHL Franchise and decided that he could get it to where it wanted to go faster. Briere wants to win, but lets face it, Buffalo isn't doing as well as it was 2 years ago. I also think that Gagne playing with him was a factor in his decision too.

Second place is only first place of the losers.
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2007 :  11:52:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leafsfan_101

but lets face it, Buffalo isn't doing as well as it was 2 years ago.

Indeed they aren't...because Briere left! And Drury!
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2007 :  12:47:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PuckNuts

If Briere wanted more money, then why did he not sign with Montreal, they offerd him more than Philadelphia did...

Good point. Let's rephrase that: He wanted more money and to be on a team that actually has a shot at the playoffs and doing great things in the future. (No offense, Habs fans)

Edited by - Mikhailova on 07/09/2007 13:12:57
Go to Top of Page

I´m also Cånädiön
Rookie

Sweden
217 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2007 :  12:56:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For you Sabre fans out there: http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=328648
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page