Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Western Conference - Pacific Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Anaheim
 ANA signs Getzlaf, 8yr/66M Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2013 :  10:36:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I figured he'd get quite a raise from his current deal, but this is beyond even my expectations. Given the new caps, 8M is a great deal of money to commit to a single player.

I also wonder if this puts the nail in the coffin for Perry...

Edited by - nuxfan on 03/08/2013 10:54:51

dgg1412
Top Prospect

Canada
29 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2013 :  12:00:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow lots of money. It is looking like Perry wanted to become a free agent no matter what dont blame him for wanting to look. Someone out there (T.O.) is going to give him 9 mill+. I love the way Perry plays but it is going to be hard to justifie keeping both when you are a team that gets money out of revenue sharing instead of paying in to it. They have a lot of young talent coming up on forward and could trade Ryan, but I dont think it will matter what they do Perry is going to free agency.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2013 :  14:02:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WTF? I really thought the days of 8+ million were behind us? Especially on an 8 year deal. You could almost justify it if it were for 4 years, but 8?

I can't comment any further right now, i'm that shocked......
Go to Top of Page

Guest4377
( )

Posted - 03/08/2013 :  16:26:16  Reply with Quote
Too much money (and too long a term), especially if the cap goes down to $64 million next season. Or the same or less the following season.

For teams spending $35-$40 million on their top 6-7 players, what's left over for your remaining players? Hard to find good 2nd or 3rd line forwards (or #3 or #4 defensemen), for less than $2 million a season.

For this season, Anaheim has $33 million tied up with their top seven players, and they're currently spending $56 million for players' salaries. Sure, they can spend more than their current budget, but do they have revenues to support additional expenditures on players?

But maybe league revenues will go up, and the cap will stay near $70 million, and maybe Anaheim will grow their revenues to support higher player expenditures? And maybe their ownership doesn't care about making money?

What was the lockout about again?
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2013 :  10:24:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4377

For teams spending $35-$40 million on their top 6-7 players, what's left over for your remaining players? Hard to find good 2nd or 3rd line forwards (or #3 or #4 defensemen), for less than $2 million a season.

If most or all teams are spending 35-40M on their top 6-7 players, then what is left is what is left - and it will be easy to find 2nd/3rd line forwards for less than 2M because that is all that will be available for them. Don't kid yourself, most players will not turn down 2M per season to play a game, if that is all there is.

The lockout initially achieved one thing - a widening of the rich/poor gap in the NHL. Elite players are getting the same money, and non-elite players will be forced to fight for the scraps that remain. It will take a lot of years for things to even out, if at all. If teams find success with this model (20% of players taking up 60% of cap pot, and fill in the rest with ~2M players), then it may never even out.

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2013 :  10:58:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the most successful teams over the next 5-10 years will be the one's who can convince their stars or potential stars to sign at a "hometown discount". That way there's more left over for some better pieces. If Anaheim signs Perry to a comparable deal then they reall will struggle to be able to keep some of their other pieces, especially if kids like Palmieri, Etem, etc end up comanding good dollars in 3-5 years.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page