Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference - Atlantic Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Toronto
 16 Games to go, Can the Leafs Make It? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2013 :  10:15:49  Show Profile
Poll Question:
Simple question, will the Leafs - currently sitting in 6th spot in the conference with a 17-12-3 record - make the playoffs?

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug

Choices:

Yes
No
neither - league folds after Armageddon, which of course happens right before the Leafs make it

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2013 :  10:22:33  Show Profile
Here are the games remaining:

Mon, Mar 25 @Boston - OTL - 1 pt
Tue, Mar 26 vsFlorida - W - 2 pts
Thu, Mar 28 vsCarolina - W - 2 pts
Sat, Mar 30 @Ottawa - W - 2 pts
APRIL
Thu, Apr 4 vsPhiladelphia - L
Sat, Apr 6 @New Jersey - W - 2 pts
Mon, Apr 8 vsNY Rangers - W - 2pts
Wed, Apr 10 @NY Rangers - OTL - 1 pt
Sat, Apr 13 vsMontreal - W - 2 pts
Mon, Apr 15 vsNew Jersey - W - 2 pts
Tue, Apr 16 @Washington - L
Thu, Apr 18 vsNY Islanders - L
Sat, Apr 20 @Ottawa - W - 2pts *** Clinched playoff birth ***
Wed, Apr 24 @Tampa Bay
Thu, Apr 25 @Florida
Sat, Apr 27 vsMontreal

8 home games, 8 away.
7 games against teams currently not in the playoffs . . . not a terribly skewed schedule either way.

Edited by - n/a on 04/22/2013 04:40:33
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2013 :  10:27:49  Show Profile
I'd also like to add this: (note to the admins please)

IF the Leafs make the playoffs this year, I vow to change my famous "Tomatoes"/ Leafs logo.

As long as a good avatar pic of Nazem Kadri is added.

Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2013 :  10:45:53  Show Profile
I think so, they have been fairly consistent this season their Goaltending has been good enough heres how i think it will play out in the east

Pens
Bruins
Carolina
Montreal
Rangers
Toronto
Ottawa
Jets

Washington
Devils
Islanders
Flyers
Sabres
Tampa
Florida

I Think the Devils will fall out due to the loss of Kovalchuk, I think Ottawa will be abel to just keep stringing along grabbing points and playing great hockey considering the injuries they have. I think Due to the week Southeast Peg will have a good shot at third but ultimatly Carolina is a stronger team IMO.

So all in all no I can't see Toronto falling out of a playoff spot, I think Winnepeg Ottawa The Devils are all at greater risk of falling out due to injuries or just being weaker teams

Hello, 911? It's an emergency, my teddy bear's been kidnapped!
[pause] Hello? Hello?
Go to Top of Page

The_Gipper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
285 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2013 :  11:43:41  Show Profile
yes they will. i think they've been playing consistently enough throughout the season, and aren't showing any signs of a last minute dive to the basement like they had last year.
not a contender by any stretch of the imagination, but have proven this year that they can play with any team in the conference. and with the right seeding, heck they may even pull out a 1st round victory. but at the very least it'll be good experience for the younger players, especially Reimer.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2013 :  15:55:45  Show Profile
I think they'll stick around a claim 6th-8th.

And Slozo, as far as Armageddon, that doesn't occur until under 30 seconds left in the 3rd period of game 4 of the Stanley Cup Finals with the Leafs leading both the game AND series 3-0 over the Oilers. I mean, c'mon, i can only imagine the bet between you and Beans if they were to meet. Surely Beans would somehow trigger Armageddon to get out of the facial tattoo of Nazim Kadri he'd owe you, amongst other things!
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2013 :  20:30:10  Show Profile
I think this is the Year Toronto finally makes it into the playoffs. The only way they fall out is if Carolina, New York Islanders and Washington can find a way to play consistant hockey. I can see Carolina finding a way out of there current 5 game losing streak and making a push. I dont know if the NYI can be a consistant team, but this years team is better than what they have been in years. Washington has finally found a way to win. But Toronto is in a good spot to maintain pace with any or all of these teams.

The threat is more likey to come from Toronto not playing consistant hockey down the stretch. I dont know if it is the pressure from the media, or what happens in the last 15 games of the season, but come crunch time, the Leafs usually are there worst enemy for a playoff position. I'd say with the schedule and the quality of the teams behind them the odds are good they finish in 6-8th.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2013 :  05:14:07  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

I think this is the Year Toronto finally makes it into the playoffs. The only way they fall out is if Carolina, New York Islanders and Washington can find a way to play consistant hockey. I can see Carolina finding a way out of there current 5 game losing streak and making a push. I dont know if the NYI can be a consistant team, but this years team is better than what they have been in years. Washington has finally found a way to win. But Toronto is in a good spot to maintain pace with any or all of these teams.

The threat is more likey to come from Toronto not playing consistant hockey down the stretch. I dont know if it is the pressure from the media, or what happens in the last 15 games of the season, but come crunch time, the Leafs usually are there worst enemy for a playoff position. I'd say with the schedule and the quality of the teams behind them the odds are good they finish in 6-8th.

To be honest, almost every year they have not made it, they have just not been good enough.

Last year was an exception to that IMHO - I think they were just a very young and inexperienced dressing room, and with the wrong coach / wrong system, and they fell apart mentally because of it.

I think that this year, those young guys are all a year older, and although they are still full of young go-to guys . . . I think they have the right coach with a very good system. And the goaltending has really straightened out (partially because of age/experience, but also I think due to the coaching).

I really think the whole "pressure of Toronto" thing is just a bit overblown. It's there, and it IS more pressure than almost anywhere else other than Montreal, sure; but it's not some huge overriding factor.

Go to Top of Page

Guest9053
( )

Posted - 03/26/2013 :  05:28:40
Considering their current placement, they should. Then again, we say that every year and they always manage to mess it all up.
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2013 :  14:47:41  Show Profile
I think they will this year. Goaltending has been above average and the team has a system in place...finally.

Toronto has enough assets on defense to move 1 young D-man, plue either Grab / Bozak and a 2nd round pick to maybe obtain a proven veteran center ice-man.

This move would improve their odds greatly.

I would like to see the leafs maybe trade Bozak plus maybe 3rd rounder for a guy like Mike Riberio.......and

Move 1 young D-man and maybe prospect ( C. Ashton ?? ) for a veteran shut down Defenseman with playoff experience.

I think these 2 moves would for sure push the leafs into the playoffs and maybe stay out of 7th - 8th place.......steer clear of Pitt. and Bos in the first round.....then a 1st round win could be a reality.
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2013 :  14:56:26  Show Profile
Dam...hit post too fast lol

A Mike Riberio type player would take offensive pressure off Kadri and also help kessel and JVR....Bozak isn`t the man.

A true shutdown Veteran is needed for Phaneuf, someone older with much experience....Robyn R off Calgary ??

This move would enable the leafs to leave Carl. Gunn on the 2nd pairing with J . Gardiner....as skilled as Gardiner is, he is very in-experienced.

2 simple moves which would improve the leafs vastly.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2013 :  15:32:12  Show Profile
Its funny you mention Bozak. I read an article today he is the only Toronto player with a shootout goal this season. He has been riden hard by the loyal Leafs fan base but is the only reason Toronto has a shootout goal this year. That being said i dont watch enough Toronto hockey to have an opinion on his in game ability.

quote:
Originally posted by The Duke

A Mike Riberio type player would take offensive pressure off Kadri and also help kessel and JVR....Bozak isn`t the man.

A true shutdown Veteran is needed for Phaneuf, someone older with much experience....Robyn R off Calgary ??

This move would enable the leafs to leave Carl. Gunn on the 2nd pairing with J . Gardiner....as skilled as Gardiner is, he is very in-experienced.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2013 :  04:23:01  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

Its funny you mention Bozak. I read an article today he is the only Toronto player with a shootout goal this season. He has been riden hard by the loyal Leafs fan base but is the only reason Toronto has a shootout goal this year. That being said i dont watch enough Toronto hockey to have an opinion on his in game ability.

quote:

From my memory, in our 4 shootouts, I've seen him score twice. Could even be three, but I didn't see the other two shootout games (Toronto's had 4 I believe).

Let's keep this on track to "can the Leafs make it?" please.

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2013 :  07:58:40  Show Profile
The short answer is yes, and their hold their destiny in their hands. Although not free and clear of the pack, with around 15 games left it is harder for the teams behind them to catch up. The interesting story line will be the South East Conference and what happens there. Washington is catching fire and Carolina is still not out of the mix. If one of those two teams can get into the playoff race and push Winnipeg for that 3rd spot, the deck between 6 and 9 shuffles very quickly.

I'll never profess to be a Leafs fans and I simply can not cheer for them. However, for the game of hockey in Canada and for the true Leaf fans who deserve to see at least one playoff series, I won't cheer too hard against them making it. There is a likelihood that 5 of the 7 Canadian teams make the playoffs this year. That is never a bad thing, although I would gladly trade my team in the playoffs for any of the others.

That's the best I can do.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2013 :  08:28:54  Show Profile
Carolina is in tough with goalie injuries. Isn't Ellis hurt as well as Ward? Not sure on either's status right now or expected return date(s)?

Toronto has been helped in a big way by Lupul's return. He's instantly caught fire and helped them in the games he's played. It can only be a big boost moving forward for them as it establishes another scoring line/option! With the lead they have on those chasing them, it'd take a serious collapse for the Leafs to blow it this time.

Now, i'm not saying it can't happen of course. I will admit though, like Beans, i do hope they make it in as it's what would be best for hockey!
Go to Top of Page

Guest2332
( )

Posted - 03/27/2013 :  09:49:32
i still think its dumb brian burke built this team and they show him the door....
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2013 :  11:01:43  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Guest2332

i still think its dumb brian burke built this team and they show him the door....

I don't think it's dumb at all. The timing was dumb in my opinion (should have been done sooner, in the summer), but the move was needed.

With Burke around, would they have been able to move Lombardi, Connolly, Komisarek off the starting lineup with impunity? I don't think so. The politics would have been all against it. The statements that Carlyle has been able to make without Burke around have changed this team dramatically, IMHO.

Burke put some of the key pieces in place, either by trading for them (Lupul, Kessel, Phaneuf, Franson) or by keeping them and not trading them (Kadri, Reimer, Scrivens). But without getting rid of the dead weight . . . who knows where the Leafs'd be?

Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2013 :  08:12:21  Show Profile
Thats very true Slozo.

The Toronto maple leafs have the same core players as last season, except for the dead weight you listed ( i`m so glad they are gone ).

With that being said......Does any1 think that if Burke and Wilson were still Captain and 1st mate......the leafs would still be in the same points situation they are in ?????.....i don`t think so...

Which players would have Burke traded for Luongo ??

Would Kadri be in the lineup ??

Would.... Mark Fraser...M. Kostka....and Korbinian Holzer get a regular shift on defense ??

Would Cody Franson have excelled like he has this season ? ( with his 19 points to boot )....or....would he still be in the dog house ??

Guest 2332, there are so many changes in the leafs style of game now, they have a system in place now which brings a winning attitude....its not always pretty, they certainly don`t deserve to win every game but...points go on the board.

The leafs are playing under a total diffrent atmosphere then which they played during the previous regime. This of course would not be picked up on unless you are an avid follower of the leafs, watching every game....but believe me, its there.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2013 :  04:52:50  Show Profile
Looks like it's a done deal, and close to what the stats crunchers post as a 99% likely event. The Leafs will make the playoffs this year . . . finally!

This last stretch of 8 games (from when I posted) makes me proud and confident that this team can really compete in the playoffs as well. For me, the signature game was the win in New Jersey . . . gutting it out, amazing game from Reimer, big win on the road to kill Jersey's playoff dreams a bit. Getting 3 out of 4 points from the Rangers was pretty solid too though!

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2013 :  07:38:43  Show Profile
quote:

Thats very true Slozo.

The Toronto maple leafs have the same core players as last season, except for the dead weight you listed ( i`m so glad they are gone ).

With that being said......Does any1 think that if Burke and Wilson were still Captain and 1st mate......the leafs would still be in the same points situation they are in ?????.....i don`t think so...

Which players would have Burke traded for Luongo ??

Would Kadri be in the lineup ??

Would.... Mark Fraser...M. Kostka....and Korbinian Holzer get a regular shift on defense ??

Would Cody Franson have excelled like he has this season ? ( with his 19 points to boot )....or....would he still be in the dog house ??

Guest 2332, there are so many changes in the leafs style of game now, they have a system in place now which brings a winning attitude....its not always pretty, they certainly don`t deserve to win every game but...points go on the board.

The leafs are playing under a total diffrent atmosphere then which they played during the previous regime. This of course would not be picked up on unless you are an avid follower of the leafs, watching every game....but believe me, its there.

I don't want to be too much of a negative nellie, but c'mon Duke. Look at every single facet of the Leafs game that is working well today and tell me the ones that were not Burke's doing?? There are very, very few pieces of this team that Burke did not have his hand in.

Nonis? Check
Carlyle? Check
Kessel, Lupul, Kadri, Phaneuf, Van Riemsdyk? All check

Perhaps he did need to get out of the way for things to really fly but he still built the team, the coaching staff, and the management team. He brought everyone into the environment. You have to give him credit for that.

Burke's only mistake was not moving as fast as TO fans would have wanted by sticking with Wilson a bit too long. Otherwise, he got fired for rebuilding the Leafs but having a big mouth. I think the largest reason for the Leafs turn around has been two things. Firstly, Randy Carlyle is a far better coach than I gave him credit for. Secondly, the Leaf team did not have much if any outside pressures from the media and fans this season. Rather than getting crapped on at every turn they were getting supported for every positive action. I don't think Burke being there or not there changes the reasons why the Leafs are where they are.

By the way, the Leafs were this good last year, but only through 55 games. Burke was there at that time wasn't he??

I also find is fantastic that some *(not all) but some Leaf fans still find a way to complain about things when their team is a lock for the playoffs.

To all Leaf fans good, bad, or indifferent: congratulations! Enjoy watching your team in the playoffs. Hope they go deep and enjoy the ride! And if the Leafs do happen to make it to the final or heaven forbid win the damn Cup, don't do what all the other cities in Canada have done. There is no need for riots and all that other crap.

Stay classy TO!
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2013 :  09:35:31  Show Profile
Beans, good in-dept analysis of the leafs...

But the main focus of all your comments revolved around Brian Burke......Ron Wilson was the leafs BIGGEST problem,NOT Brian Burke..

I just grouped them together because they were in Toronto so long together.

If you read my posting`s over the last 2 years you WILL find out that i always defended Burke ( for the most part ) in his performance with the leafs.......and .......i bet you can find me calling Ron Wilson a coaching MORON at least 10 times....

Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2013 :  09:09:54  Show Profile
Sorry, I have to be the one to disagree. Burke and Wilson combined brought the Leafs below expectations. Burkes pickups are producing now that he has gotten out of the way. I don't truly believe Kadri would have had the breakout year he has had under Burke's shadow, I dont actually think Kadri would be a Leaf had Burke been the GM. Carlyle and Noonis have the patience to work with the players they have in the system and Noonis was behind the scene as important as Burke to putting together this team. I think the biggest reason for the Leaf's success this year was both Burke and Wilson's departure, and the success on the ice is a result.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4178
( )

Posted - 04/12/2013 :  12:51:18
With eight games to go, the Leafs are sure to make the playoffs. (Practically speaking, not mathematically speaking.)

Then the question will be "16 Games to win the Cup – can the Leafs do it?" (And by "games,' I mean winning games.)

Go to Top of Page

markliso
Rookie

Canada
104 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2013 :  06:44:40  Show Profile
Could you imagine working for Burke??? Man, that would suck.

He totally built this team and had a hand in everything, but they sure do play better without the iron fist watching from the press box.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2013 :  05:21:19  Show Profile
quote:
I don't want to be too much of a negative nellie, but c'mon Duke. Look at every single facet of the Leafs game that is working well today and tell me the ones that were not Burke's doing?? There are very, very few pieces of this team that Burke did not have his hand in.

Nonis? Check
Carlyle? Check
Kessel, Lupul, Kadri, Phaneuf, Van Riemsdyk? All check

Perhaps he did need to get out of the way for things to really fly but he still built the team, the coaching staff, and the management team. He brought everyone into the environment. You have to give him credit for that.

Burke's only mistake was not moving as fast as TO fans would have wanted by sticking with Wilson a bit too long. Otherwise, he got fired for rebuilding the Leafs but having a big mouth. I think the largest reason for the Leafs turn around has been two things. Firstly, Randy Carlyle is a far better coach than I gave him credit for. Secondly, the Leaf team did not have much if any outside pressures from the media and fans this season. Rather than getting crapped on at every turn they were getting supported for every positive action. I don't think Burke being there or not there changes the reasons why the Leafs are where they are.

By the way, the Leafs were this good last year, but only through 55 games. Burke was there at that time wasn't he??

I also find is fantastic that some *(not all) but some Leaf fans still find a way to complain about things when their team is a lock for the playoffs.

To all Leaf fans good, bad, or indifferent: congratulations! Enjoy watching your team in the playoffs. Hope they go deep and enjoy the ride! And if the Leafs do happen to make it to the final or heaven forbid win the damn Cup, don't do what all the other cities in Canada have done. There is no need for riots and all that other crap.

Stay classy TO!

I'll answer for Duke here Beans, since he didn't reply to your question: which facets of the team have brought them here this year that were NOT Burke's doing?

In answering this question, I actually have to point things out from a slightly different perspective . . . what HAS happened under Nonis, that WOULDN'T have happened under Burke?

1) Connolly down to the minors.

2) Lombardi gone.

3) Giving free reign to sit out Komisarek, Liles, Gardiner - whatever the coach wants.

4) Having lunchpail guys like Fraser, Holzer, Kostka play big minutes while huge contracts signed by Burke sit out (Liles and Komisarek).

I don't disagree Beans that for the most part, Burke did build this team . . . and he should be given the credit for never giving up on Kadri, sticking with Reimer and Scrivens, keeping Phaneuf, getting Lupul, and all the older deals that brought us everyone else. That's all fair, and I wouldn't take that away from Burke.

But that being said, his ominous presence I think would have really prevented some VERY key things from happening, which have effectively and ironically wiped out the "Blue and White" disease Burke himself preached about erasing. It's full accountability, and the fact of knowing that this coach has 100% free reign to sit you no matter who the bleep you are. That is something worth it's weight in gold, and is a totally different level of motivation for the players, including the star players.

There is a domino effect . . . and whatever key pieces may have been already in place, there were also huge drags on the team - Connolly and Lombardi and Komisarek namely - that were hampering the team from reaching its full potential.

So I'd argue, with Burke . . . the Leafs may not be in the playoffs, potentially fighting for a spot still, perhaps just outside of the picture.

Edited by - n/a on 04/14/2013 05:23:41
Go to Top of Page

The_Gipper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
285 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2013 :  09:52:25  Show Profile
sorry Slozo, as a fellow Leafer i hate to argue against you on this one....
but how do we know for sure that Burke wasn't planning on doing the things that Nonis has done this year? sending Connolly down; trading Lombardi; sitting Komisarek; letting some of the AHL'ers play.....all of these things happened within weeks of him getting fired. maybe, just maybe, these were part of his plan all along. then Nonis just carried through with it because he agreed with all of it. and of course i'm sure Carlyle had some say as well, cuz you know he was watching some of these guys with the Marlies as the lockout was going on.
let's not forget, Carlyle was Burke's pick. so to hint that he wouldn't have given him "100% free reign" if he was still around is a bit presumptuous, don't you think?
this is the team Burke had envisioned from day one. a fast, tough on both ends of the ice, kind of team to play against. for all intensive purposes, IMHO, this is his team.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2013 :  10:39:54  Show Profile
Very good points Slozo, I just don't think anyone can reasonably say the positive things that did happen for the Leafs would not have happened had Burke still be in charge. As other had said, Burke never seemed to be a micromanager for any of his coaches in his entire career. I can't see why Carlyle, who was Burke's pick, would not have been afforded the same opportunites he has had under Nonis who was also Burke's pick. The moves that may or may not have happened are not reasonable to comment on.

One things I can say to defend your side of the argument is that the Leafs have a different perception of the media. Previously, it seemed like every few days there was a comment or something that came out of Burke's mouth that would get the TO media fired up. Nonis and Carlyle seem to be more reserved and would rather let the team's play on the ice speak for itself. That is a huge change from previous year's under Burke and I believe that part of the success of the team this season has to do with less media pressure on the team.

I do believe that Burke needed to get out of the way for the Leafs to succeed however, and it's hard for me to say, but the Leaf fans that are overly critical of Burke are offside. He built the foundation and the house. All Nonis and Carlyle have done is throw on the some paint and put in the furniture.

But don't forget who built the house.
Go to Top of Page

mandree888
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
400 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2013 :  08:40:03  Show Profile
6 games to go and the leafs only need four points to clinch. leafs need to win tonight and the jets need to loose and we are in!!! GO LEAFS GO!!! GO TAMPA GO!!!(this is who the jets are facing)
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2013 :  09:06:28  Show Profile
I agree with what most people said here. Burke built the team and I'm giving credit where it's due. But the firing of Brian Burke was also a great move (even though the timing surprised me) because like many stated, Brian Burke didn't want to look bad by signing Connolly, Komisarek and getting the Lombardi contract (even though doing so got us Franson). So maybe he would have traded Lombardi, but I doubt he would have buried the contract of Komisarek and Connolly in the AHL. This gave room to guys like Kadri and Fraser to play full time. and they are a big part of this year Leafs success.

I didn't read the whole trend, but another thing that Burke did that was really good, one of his last move. Getting Jay McClement, how big was that signing? Anyway, When Burke came in he had nothing to work with, no stars, no depth, not a good prospect system and not a good farm team. When he left, he had a younger and better team and a way better farm team, so kuddos to him. And now that he's gone, the young guns can finally fly on there own with Nonis and Carlyle as the boss.

Another reason for the Leafs success, Reimer, wow he has a 17-5-5 record, and it would be better if another player then Bozak could score in the shootout. hehe...

Go Leafs Go, go get that playoff spot and hopefully we can see a Habs-Leafs matchup down the road. I know I'm dreaming, but top of the division is still up for grab.
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2013 :  15:23:47  Show Profile
Didn`t think it would come down to this........4 games to go.....can the leafs make it ??

Man oh man, what happened in the last 3 games ????? Diffrent leaf team in those 3 games, playing so stupid. The leafs can`t get out of their own end !!!!....can`t buy a shot on goal.....can`t pass the puck.....endless turn-overs ( although they are 1st in the league in turn-overs anyway ) constantly being beat to the puck........its like they all suddenly forgot how to play hockey !!!!

This sudden collapse is starting to look serious...the leafs better right their ship and FAST or this may get very ugly for leaf fans.

I wonder does the absense of... C. Gunnar......K. Holz.....and M. Koska on the back-end make this Defense more prone to defensive F - ups ????

These guys played regular for a long time this season and looked good.......are tthe leafs better with ...J. Gard.....J.M.Liles.....and R.O`Byrne in the line-up ????.........sure doesn`t look like it lately
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2013 :  07:14:29  Show Profile
Duke....they're all but in. It would take a monumental collapse to miss the dance now. Winnipeg sits in 9th, 5 points back with 4 games remaining each (Leafs and Jets). Toronto is @Ott, @TB, @Fla and home to the Habs to close out the season. Keep in mind, even if they lose all 4, the Jets would need at least 3 pts (maybe 4 as i'm not sure of the tiebreaker) in their remaining games. AND, the three teams behind the Leafs in 6th-8th would also have to pass them.

While 5th isn't the lock it looked like a week or so ago, i'd say they're pretty safe as being "in". Of course, they could prove me wrong!
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2013 :  21:26:37  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

Duke....they're all but in. It would take a monumental collapse to miss the dance now. Winnipeg sits in 9th, 5 points back with 4 games remaining each (Leafs and Jets). Toronto is @Ott, @TB, @Fla and home to the Habs to close out the season. Keep in mind, even if they lose all 4, the Jets would need at least 3 pts (maybe 4 as i'm not sure of the tiebreaker) in their remaining games. AND, the three teams behind the Leafs in 6th-8th would also have to pass them.

While 5th isn't the lock it looked like a week or so ago, i'd say they're pretty safe as being "in". Of course, they could prove me wrong!

Editted.....
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2013 :  10:12:56  Show Profile
Yup they're in. And although it has not been pretty, especially lately like Duke pointed out, they're in. Reimer kept the Leafs in those games with an absolute steal against New Jersey and Ottawa (49 saves).

That is the biggest difference from the other seasons, constant goaltending that gives them a chance to win every night.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2013 :  04:41:31  Show Profile
This topic has been closed, in the most beautiful of methods . . . a Leafs playoff berth. New Thread!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page