Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Western Conference - Pacific Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Calgary
 Who's Offer was Better for Iginla? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2013 :  00:28:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Which trade deal would you have taken for Jarome Iginla?

Choices:

Boston Bruins
Pittsburgh Penguins

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2013 :  00:35:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, Pittsburgh won the Jarome Iginla Sweepstakes but here are the two deals as we in the general public know:

Boston - Matt Bartkowski, Alex Khokhlachev and a conditional first round draft pick.

Pittsburgh - college prospects Kenneth Agostino and Ben Hanowski as well as Pittsburgh's 2013 first-round draft pick.
Go to Top of Page

markliso
Rookie

Canada
104 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2013 :  03:42:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
they are saying it was conditional on him re signing in boston. that right there completely devalues the whole deal. I think they chose right. It will be weird to see him in any other uniform, but I think Iggy will be a better fit in Pittsburgh than Boston anyway
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2013 :  05:39:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I voted Boston - I think from what I've heard, the college prospects were a wash . . . but Boston looked to be getting a higher first round draft pick for sure.

IMHO, Iggy was "driving the bus" and chose Pittsburgh. I bet you anything if management had made the final decision, it would've been Boston.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

just1n
PickupHockey Pro

282 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2013 :  10:55:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Only time will tell if anyone will really see those names again.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4121
( )

Posted - 03/28/2013 :  11:18:59  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

I voted Boston - I think from what I've heard, the college prospects were a wash . . . but Boston looked to be getting a higher first round draft pick for sure.

How is it that Boston gets a higher pick than Pittsburgh for sure? Last time I checked that was decided after the playoffs. Not to mention if any teams were to go farther than Pittsburgh (in the playoffs) I think Boston would definitely be on that list.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4121
( )

Posted - 03/28/2013 :  11:23:22  Reply with Quote
This question should really be 'which two prospects are better in the Iginla trade, Boston's prospects or Pittsburgh's prospects?'

This would be better as the 1st round picks are essentially the same right now. Except that one is conditional.
Go to Top of Page

sahis34
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
591 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2013 :  15:14:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Khokhlachev is the only player worth anything in the prospect pool. I think pitts first rounder isnt worth that much considering itll be in the late 20's so the bruins deal was better
Go to Top of Page

Guest4017
( )

Posted - 03/28/2013 :  16:05:45  Reply with Quote
First rounders don't matter- has anyone seen any of Calgary's first round picks make it? Oh yes there was Joe Nieuwendyk as a second rounder. Calgary's first rounder doesn't even have a photo in NHL dot com.
Shoulda kept him ... just sayin...
Go to Top of Page

@valanche
Rookie

Canada
240 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2013 :  15:45:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Khoklachev + a first round pick would be the better of the two but since the pick is hardly a guarantee Calgary did the best they could in a tough situation.

What they should have done is traded him last year when his value would have been much higher as not just a rental

66 is > than 99
Go to Top of Page

Guest4422
( )

Posted - 03/29/2013 :  16:28:44  Reply with Quote
The Pittsburgh offer was better for Iginla. That's why he (Iginla) took it!
Go to Top of Page

Guest0047
( )

Posted - 03/30/2013 :  09:52:47  Reply with Quote
Even though he's most likely a rental player both deals were insulting imo.

Granted they are college players, but I've never heard of any of these players and let's be honest either 1st round pick will most likely be 25th-30th overall (nothing really exciting). Iggy may have been driving the bus so to speak but I'm wondering if Boston offered up a so called 'A' prospect, Feaster and Iggy's hand would have been forced and thay deal would have been finalized. I find it hard to believe that Iggy wouldn't want a good return for himself for his sake and Calgarys.

And now hearing that the 1st in Bostons deal was conditional on him resigning makes me feel like we're talking about a deal for Matt Stajan not Jarome Iginla.

I guess who can blame Shero or Chiarelli for taking advantage of the situation but I still think it would have been a steal even if they're were notable prospects involved (spooner, subban, caron, matta, bennett, pouliot, etc.).

All in all this deal somewhat made me think less of everyone involved. I mean Morrow at least fetched a prospect I've heard of. My money's on Iginla would have been a Bruin if Chiarelli didn't try and take advantage of the situation and trade rape as much as the Penguins did.
Go to Top of Page

Guest0047
( )

Posted - 03/30/2013 :  10:01:59  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4017

First rounders don't matter- has anyone seen any of Calgary's first round picks make it? Oh yes there was Joe Nieuwendyk as a second rounder. Calgary's first rounder doesn't even have a photo in NHL dot com.

That comment made me think of last year where Calgary was sitting 12th and decided to trade down to 21st just to go completely off the board and take Jankowski. Another college prospect with with unexciting numbers. (18p in 34Gp)
Go to Top of Page

Guest2750
( )

Posted - 03/31/2013 :  04:28:38  Reply with Quote
Khokhlachev is a decent prospect and a first rounder is a first rounder. Granted Bartkowski hasn't done much too impress anyone. I think Bostons was a bit better. Khokhlachev was impressive at the world jr.s.

A litle off topic but is there anyone better a drafting in the second and third rounds than the Boston Bruins. Look at some of these gems. Patrice Bergeron 45th 2003, Millian Lucic 50th 2006, Brad Marchand 71st in 2006 overall David Krejci 63rd overall in 2004.
Go to Top of Page

Guest0045
( )

Posted - 03/31/2013 :  10:32:09  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4017

He wouldnt have resigned in Calgary, they were better off getting rid of him now and getting something out of his release.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9848
( )

Posted - 04/01/2013 :  06:13:22  Reply with Quote
Boston is the only team in the NHL I wouldn't want to play for. I'd pull a Lindros.
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2013 :  08:39:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apparently there were 4 teams in the running, didn`t hear their offers. Seems like Calgary always gets poor return on trades....in my opinion..

Theres no way Calgary should have pulled the trigger unless they received at least one TOP NOTCH young prospect or a very, very good young NHL`er in the system already.

The fact of this trade is....the flames traded one of the best forwards in the entire NHL....and could easily end up with....

NOT 1 ....EVER ....NHL regular roster player....could happen.

Maybe its time for the Flames ownership to seek a new GM ??
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2013 :  08:49:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Duke

The fact of this trade is....the flames traded one of the best forwards in the entire NHL....and could easily end up with....

NOT 1 ....EVER ....NHL regular roster player....could happen.

Iginla is a UFA this coming summer. The Flames could have hung on to him and might have easily ended up with.... nothing at all.

You lived through the Sundin saga...which one is the better outcome?

Edited by - nuxfan on 04/01/2013 08:49:53
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2013 :  08:49:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If nothing else, i'd have thought they'd have let it play out over the weekend and towards the deadline. The more i think about it though, the more i think Iggy may have put his foot down and simply decided he wanted to go to Pittsburgh and that was it.
Go to Top of Page

Guest2771
( )

Posted - 04/01/2013 :  16:48:37  Reply with Quote
it karma that iggy demands a trade to play with Crosby and Crosby gets injured the same game. .Should have went with Boston.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2013 :  17:33:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not claiming to know anything inside of the Flames organization however being close to Calgary the media overlap is strong.

I don't mean to sound disrespectful to those with differing opinions yet I feel those blaming the GM in this case are just not aware of the situation. Every media leak indicates that Feester wanted to do more last season and in the offseason but it was the sr management of the team that told him no. A story posted below from the Calgary Herald express this as well. There have been various media reports involving quotes from Flames president Kent King saying they will not rebuild like Edmonton did. Clearly his stance has changed.

Furthermore, how much do people think Iginla is worth today? Not worth for his body of work, worth TODAY? Once you establish that he is a 20-30 goal and a 50-60 pt leader with a couple of years worth of gas left in the tank ask yourself how much is that worth if the team doesn't have him signed through those two years? There is no guarantee that Iginla resigns with the team that trades for him.

The Flames did as good as they could and the proof is that the deal from Boston and Pittsburh were both 2 prospects and a 1st round pick. It doesn't matter what deal was better, Iginla had a no trade clause so he was either going where he wanted to or not going anywhere at all.

An Edmonton sports writer tweeted a bunch about this trade and brought up some really great points. Think about the top prospects the Flames currently have (Baertschi, Granlund, Wotherspoon, Gaudreau) and then add at least 2-1st round picks this year and the two prospects the picked up.

To Duke's point, none of those players could be every day NHLers. But they also all could all be great NHLers.

I just don't think Calgary could have done any bettern than what they did. You can fault them for even being in the position to have to trade their franschise player to rebuild but once they were in that spot they did pretty good in my books.
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2013 :  08:29:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nuxfan, the Sundin saga still leaves a bitterness in many leaf fans ....including myself. After collecting ALL those MILLIONs, he should waived and helped the leafs rebuild....i don`t care what any1 sez...

Beans, you make a good point that Feaster probablly had his hands tied this past season or so...we don`t know what free-wheeling is given to diffrent GM`s by ownership...but..

could he have held on a few more days and maybe reeled in at least 1 good young roster player...1 proven commodity ??

I`m with you Alex, i think Iglina had total control over this situation ( which he did of course with his contract clauses ) and pressed Feaster to make this move when he did........something like......OK , if were doing this, i want it done now ( not later ) and heres how its going down.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page