Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey History
 Boston Goalies Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Guest4377
( )

Posted - 04/02/2013 :  18:38:31  Reply with Quote
Does it really matter who's in net for the Bruins?

I'm being a bit facetious, but when looking at the save percentages or GAA with their two goalies this season, their stats are about identical. (Tuuka Rask and Anton Khudobin.)

It's kinda (emphasis on kinda) like the Tim Thomas/Tuuka Rask combination a few years ago.

Thomas got most of the credit (deservedly), but Rask performed well too, and to some extent unnoticed.

Maybe it's a team defense thing with the Bruins? I'm not suggesting Rask was Thomas's equal 2-3 years ago (or Khudobin is equal to Rask this season), but when looking at a goalie's GAA, isn't this as much a team statistic as a goalie statistic?

Not disrespecting goalies here (they deserve most of the credit for low goals against), but don't the other players on the ice deserve an equal amount of credit for keeping goals against down?

Guest9273
( )

Posted - 04/03/2013 :  11:11:29  Reply with Quote
Wait till you see Malcom Subban in nets for them. Can you say multiple Vezina trophy winner.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2013 :  11:20:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9273

Wait till you see Malcom Subban in nets for them. Can you say multiple Vezina trophy winner.

multiple vezoni trofy.......miltiply vozina......multiply vezooni tropsky..... NOPE, apparently i can't

All kidding aside, that's a pretty bold prediction considering his draft position and comparing it to others in the past, not to mention the fact that he wasn't even the first goalie selected in his draft year!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2013 :  05:14:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's all defence with the Bruins, in my opinion.

Not to take TOO much away from Rask and Thomas certainly . . . but this Khudobin guy is certainly a step below both, from what I have seen in the Bruins/Leafs games. Sure, Rask is an NHL starting goalie, I'll give him that - but anythign past "ordinary", I won't give him in terms of credit. Thomas was a step above him, in terms of skill, for two years.

Stats don't always tell the whole story for goalies . . . it's tough to really quantify quality of shots, how close they are coming in from, how many are clear views or which ones are screened.

But what I do know is that the Bruins have, for years now, played a stifling defensive system which can often lead to very low shot totals, and for the games of over 30 shots, mostly those of the perimeter variety (or low chance ones, at oblique angles).

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page