Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference - Atlantic Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Toronto
 Why Can't Mason Raymond get a job? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2013 :  19:30:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just saw that Mason Raymond has been given a try out by the Toronto Maple leafs, looking over this players career stats and the year he had last season along with his age of 27 and terrific foot speed and PK abilities why has none offerd him a contract?

This seems like a great move by the Maple Leafs why not give a former 25 goal scorer who is only 27 a shot?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=4763

Hello, 911? It's an emergency, my teddy bear's been kidnapped!
[pause] Hello? Hello?

Edited by - Pasty7 on 09/08/2013 19:31:53

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2013 :  21:28:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm mildly surprised. He`s been a very frustrating guy to cheer for. Very inconsistent and not a lot of finish save from his 25 goal year. His speed creates him a lot of chances but his finish is not great. However, as a pk speedster, he`s pretty good. Surely there`s a spot for him on an NHL roster somewhere. Maybe it`s Toronto.....
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2013 :  22:53:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agreed, Raymond has been a very frustrating player to cheer for. His biggest asset is his speed, but other than that, very inconsistent on the ice. Can score, but also a lot of not finishing with the puck - and he had plenty of chances in VAN playing on all of the top-3 lines at one point or another. He does not play much PP or PK time (the lack of PK is surprising given his speed). Very streaky. Great season in 09/10 with 53 points, and has steadily moved downhill from there.

His biggest weakness is his size - wikipedia has him listed at 180, but I'll bet that's on the high side of accurate. He's easily bodied off the puck, and has trouble getting to the front of the net. Once teams know they can body him away from the puck, his skill can be easily contained.

I like Raymond, but I was happy that VAN chose not to resign him this year. He just came off a 1yr/2.25M salary, and I don't think VAN would have been able to sign him for less than 1.5M - they could use that money in better ways. Hopefully he finds a home somewhere and redeems himself. TOR might be a good place for him - he was drafted by Nonis in VAN, so there is a connection there.

Edited by - nuxfan on 09/08/2013 22:54:38
Go to Top of Page

Statman
Rookie

Canada
125 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2013 :  14:49:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I liked Raymond and I thought he was pretty decent last year after his previous season was a disaster. He has good upside with a nice set of tools. I do assume that money was the stumbling block in Vancouver but I do feel he would be a help to somebody out there.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2013 :  21:01:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From the Leafs perspective, I like the move by Nonis to give the club depth, and the potential for a speedy winger to compliment one of our new gritty guys (Boland, Clarkson). It's a bit of a shot, but maybe the little Raymond can find his form again, who knows?

Surprised he was available at this point for the Leafs though. Maybe I just haven't seen enough of him.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2013 :  00:52:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Slozo...I think it's a decent gamble for the Leafs. Guy's got some talent and could be helpful in some regards. Is he the make or break Stanley Cup guy? Obviously not, but he could help.
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2013 :  14:26:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well it looks like his pro tryout with the Leafs worked out 1 year 1 million seems like a win win scenario for both team and player, Raymond gets a job and the Leafs have a terrific no risk high reward scenario,

[pause] Hello? Hello?
Go to Top of Page

mandree888
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
400 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2013 :  17:28:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i can see him slipping into clarksons role in the top six now that clarkson has been suspended for 10 games.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2013 :  19:20:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mandree888

i can see him slipping into clarksons role in the top six now that clarkson has been suspended for 10 games.

I've lost count of the number of times I've said the same thing... and yet he never stuck.

All the best to Raymond, I hope he can rediscover himself and provide good value in TO - and then parlay into a longer contract next summer.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2014 :  23:58:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is the only thread I could find with the "search" feature regarding Raymond.

I'm curious about how he's doing. It's obvious he's slowed down a bit but how is his overall play? I'm not trying to bring any negative towards the Leafs with this so please don't take it that way *cough cough Slozo* , I'm actually really wondering how his play is at this point in the season. We (Canucks fans) witnessed a very inconsistent player in Raymond here in Vancouver over the past number of years and personally I was very pleased he found a place in TO where he seemed to fit in well. His offense has slowed (just 2G and 7PTS in his last 19games) compared to the nice start he had. I'm curious if he's been playing the same minutes, with similar linemates,etc and whether or not his game has simply fallen off? Is he getting chances but just not burying them? Is he playing well in general or has he slipped?

I always liked him here as a Canuck, but was frustrated with him beyond belief at times! Had the chance to meet him and he was a class act and an easy guy to like. Hoping he's just in a little slump?
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2014 :  23:13:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hahah he scored tonight !

[pause] Hello? Hello?
Go to Top of Page

Guest4031
( )

Posted - 01/31/2014 :  10:42:36  Reply with Quote
Raymond is definitely a good fit in Toronto. With 33 pts in the end of january, he was be a best pick than Voynov for thelast choice in my pool.

How I regret my move but I running for the first place meanwhile.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4624
( )

Posted - 02/06/2014 :  19:53:20  Reply with Quote
I think Vancouver might want May Ray back right now
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2014 :  20:28:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4624

I think Vancouver might want May Ray back right now

Yup, even the inconsistent one in slump mode would help about now.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page