Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference -Metropolitan Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Pittsburgh
 Injuries to Edmontons top 2 centers Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2013 :  10:25:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been following the injuries to RNH and Gagner with some interest. Edmonton has been casting wingers and 3rd-4th line players in the role of centerman in the hopes of finding someone to fill the biggest glaring weakness in the organization. Last year the lack of depth at center was a weakness as well. At some points of the season the only true talented centerman on the roster was Gagner, with RNH and Horcoff both injured. Does someone come from within the organization to fill the hole? Does MacT finally address the problem?

"I now realise that the Toronto Maple Leafs, Canada's finest hockey team, is better than the Ottawa Senators - and always will be. PS - LOVE that Dion Phaneuf! "

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2013 :  10:47:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nothing will happen until RNH and Gagner return. The centres will likely be Hall, Gordon, Arcobello, and Acton or Lander. Patchwork to say the least. When RNH returns (likely toward the end of October) then it will be Hall and RNH at 1/2. Gagner will be back in 2 months and then Hall will move back to the wing.

The only way MacT does anything is if there is another injury to a centre. As far as long term solutions, health is a factor no one can predict. However, RNH, Gagner, Gordon, and (insert AHL 4th liner here) is not that bad up the middle. Size is something they do not have but they have plenty of skill.

If anyone thinks there will be a significant change at the centre position I would point to the $14.4/3yr deal and the $42/7yr deal signed just this off season by Gagner and RNH respectively.

Clearly the Oilers are going with these two guys as their 1-2 punch for the next 3 seasons.

Ottawa, the best coached team in the NHL, with MVP like players such as Chris Neil, will win the Cup in 2013!

Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2013 :  12:56:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You live in Edmonton right? So do I. Last year when Edmonton didn't have another skilled centerman, Gagner move to the top line when RNH and Horcoff went down, the minor leaguers tried to come up to fill the holes and 3rd and 4th liners tried to move up. The effect was Gagner had a career year, but the Oilers failed to make the playoffs, based on weak 5/5 play. Now this year both the top centerman are injured RNH/Gagner and Gordon replaces Horcoff as the 3rd centerman. I agree Gordon moves up until both return, but he is not a top 6 centerman. RNH could be out till late November and Gagner's injury has given no update except that they expect him to miss months. MacT has been reportedly trying to find a trade partner for a top 6 centerman. Do you think any of the depth centerman are ready for top 6 roles for months?

"I now realise that the Toronto Maple Leafs, Canada's finest hockey team, is better than the Ottawa Senators - and always will be. PS - LOVE that Dion Phaneuf! "
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2013 :  13:31:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a link to what I was referring to. Figured someone else had already written about it.

http://www.rantsports.com/nhl/2013/09/25/edmonton-oilers-center-depth-likely-still-a-concern-heading-into-2013-14/

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2013 :  13:34:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting. I do live in Edmonton and clearly I am hearing very different things than you are. Mainly, from a MacT presser on Monday (talking mostly about the MacIntyre signing) he said the following:

-RNH is on pace to return late October. (Not sure where you heard November)
-Gagner's doctors said to expect at least 2 months from the date of his surgery, which puts his return mid to late November
-MacT did say he was watching the waiver wire to see if any decent centres become available. He said if a centre becomes available they will weight the trade off between picking up another contract and the incremental improvement the player would provide over their current players
-MacT spove very highly of Arcobello, Acton, and Lander as players who could and would likely fill the role at centre until the injuries are back.
-MacT said he would look at trades where they were avilable but he was not actively seeking anything at this point.

There are 3-4 key 'Oiler' media guys in Edmonton being likely Stauffer, Gregor, Jones, and Dreger. No one from the Oilers organization nor any of these key media guys have stated anything about chasing a top 6 trade.

Respectfully, you might believe the right thing to do is to trade for a centre to play on one of the top two lines but the media nor the Oilers are support that discussion.

Ottawa, the best coached team in the NHL, with MVP like players such as Chris Neil, will win the Cup in 2013!

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2013 :  16:43:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

You (BEANS) live in Edmonton right? So do I.

Well, here's an idea. You two Edmontonians ought to get together for the season opener, a couple of beers and a real live chat about Daniel Alfredsson and his past contracts!!!
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2013 :  20:40:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well Joshua, you can take the word of a writer in the states and I'll follow the team reps and local media. They have served me very well in the past.

As far as the home opener, I have tickets so I will be there. More importantly, there would likely be bloodshed if a face to face discussion about Alfredsson was to happen. Not sure who the winner would be but bloodshed is Al but a certainty.

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2013 :  22:34:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beans, does your Ottawa signature disgust you even more since the Alfie debate? Lol...
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2013 :  22:35:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure of the last post was in full or half jest, or potentially completely serious . . . but Beans, you gave me a good laugh no matter what, damn the consequences!

BTW - the Oilers might break a record for first overall picks at this rate.

They have a LOT of potential though!

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page