Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Canucks tied for first overall? - whodathunk? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2014 :  10:49:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I know its not even 20 games into the season, and no I don't expect VAN to be in first place for long, or at the end of the year. But after a horrible season last year, I cannot help but be extremely happy and surprised by the 180 turnaround this year.

- Offseason moves:
- acquired Bonino and Sbisa for Kesler: sad to see Kesler go, and he's doing very well in ANA so far. But its hard not to notice how great Bonino has been in his place; scoring at a good clip (and nearly all at even strength), good in the faceoff circle. Has solidly entrenched onto the second line.
- acquired Vey: great secondary scoring pickup as well
- signed Miller: I was not thrilled about this signing when it happened. I am thrilled now, he has been much more of the Vezina Miller than the last-year Miller, and he gives the team a chance to win every night.
- signed Vrbata: I liked the deal in the summer, and I like it even more now, this guy is a shoot first scoring winger, a perfect compliment to the Sedins

- resurgence of the old guard: the Sedin's are scoring at a PPG clip, Burrows has found a home on the second line with Bonino and is scoring. Edler seems to have found his game, and Bieksa has also been solid in his own end. Higgins and Hansen have been unspectacular but solid 2 way players that can score on occasion.

- youth showing promise: Zack Kassian is beginning to emerge into a very good power forward, the one VAN thought they were getting when they gave up Hodgson. He's a bit too chirpy and hotheaded still, but he has great skill and can score when he puts his mind to it. I've also been very happy with Matthias - he's hot and cold, but is a big body that can skate and shoot. Tanev continues to develop into a great stay-at-home defenseman. Too early to tell about Horvat.

Benning is beginning to look like a great GM, and Desjardins seems to be a good coach for this group. If VAN finish top-10 in the NHL this year, I think both of them will be strong nominees for individual awards come June.

Coming into the season, I would have said I'd be happy with an 8th place finish and a squeak into the playoffs. With what I've seen I'm not sure I would be happy with that anymore.

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2014 :  11:34:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Completely agree Nuxfan. I am quite surprised! Not having seen Vrbata play much I wasn't sure what they were getting, I knew he was decent but not this good, although I give much of the credit to the Sedin Twins. He is a very good fit and we all know how good they can be when they have a shooter on their line.

Bonino doesn't bring the grit that Kesler did but it does have a nice touch and there is no doubt that he has something to prove. Kesler was obviously tired of Van and the lustre had worn off. Good for him doing well in Anaheim (goal and shootout winner last night)

And even though he is in the same division as my beloved Flames I am happy to see Miller find new life again. But we've seen this in the past with goalies in Vancouver. They show signs of brilliance then they fade off. It is where goalies come to die after all.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2014 :  14:39:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only thing I'd like to add is Miller has never been a bad goaltender for long stretches. He always gave Buffalo a chance to win, even when Buffalo wanted to lose games, Miller was outstanding. Picking him up was the best thing Vancouver has done in the last 5 years. Not saying he is better than Loungo, but truthfully Miller is the best goaltender Vancouver could have gotten for this year. You will like him in the playoffs. Don't know why it didn't work out in St Louis?

Edited by - JOSHUACANADA on 11/13/2014 14:42:22
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2014 :  21:25:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The one thing I truly like about Miller is his calmness, he's not as emotional as Luongo was and doesn't seem to get rattled like Luongo used to. Its a big change for the Vancouver goal, and is noticeable. I also don't know why it didn't work out with STL, and truthfully was worried we were getting damaged goods when he signed. So far, so good.

Leigh, I definitely think the Sedins and Vrbata are benefitting from each other, they seem to be the perfect match up. Sedin's were always best with a shoot-first winger that they could dish to, and really they're going to make most wingers look pretty good. The fact that Vrbata has some real skill just makes it work even better.

Now that I've posted this diatribe, we can queue up the losing streak that is sure to follow...
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2014 :  08:18:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Two things the Canucks did in the offseason to help their chances this year.

1 - Fire that clown that was behind the bench

2 - Sign Ryan Miller

The rest were good moves (adding Vrbata and getting Bonino) but not as big as the two mentionned above.

I saw the Canucks as a team that could improve this year, but not this much. I actually got a lot of the Canucks in my pools because their value was all of a sudden really low, (Like the Sedins, Edler, Miller, Vrbata) and so on...

Ryan Miller is a big reason for their success, it starts in goal. Every team that are struggling can gain a lot of confidence from a goalie that is stealing some games. Look at Calgary, if it wouldn't be for Hiller they would not be where they are right now. Same goes with the Canucks.

I don't know why the Oilers management can't get that. Get a bonafide number one goalie to support your young players mistakes, give them a chance to win every night, steal a few games, and all of a sudden you have a young squad that is playing with confidence and that respect their coaches.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2014 :  16:30:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NuxFan - one name for you, Anson Carter. Perfect example of the Sedins making a guy look amazing.

Leafs81 - Hiller isn't the only reason the Flames are doing well. They are really spreading around the scoring and their captain is lighting it up! But I get your point, young team supported by great goaltending.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2014 :  20:47:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leigh

NuxFan - one name for you, Anson Carter. Perfect example of the Sedins making a guy look amazing.

Leafs81 - Hiller isn't the only reason the Flames are doing well. They are really spreading around the scoring and their captain is lighting it up! But I get your point, young team supported by great goaltending.

True, good one with Anson . . . but, Vrbata has way more skill than him. And I think they've just clicked.

Without Hiller, your Flames would have lost 4 games they won. Admit it!

Don't Leaf me hanging, Buds!
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2014 :  11:21:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if i could have 1 wish lets make in a all Canadian final 4! Nucks and Flames in the western confernece final Habs and Leafs in the East, Obviously the habs would win the cup though :)

Hello, 911? It's an emergency, my teddy bear's been kidnapped!
[pause] Hello? Hello?
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2014 :  11:24:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But this goes to show the Canucks last year were much like the habs from a few years ago, they don`t need a complete rebuild just need to draft well and give the younger players a chance to play, a few little tweaks and they are easily back to a competative team.

Hello, 911? It's an emergency, my teddy bear's been kidnapped!
[pause] Hello? Hello?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page