Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Western Conference - Pacific Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Calgary
 Giordano out - Flames still make playoffs! Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2015 :  14:17:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like Giordano is out with what I heard was a "bicep" injury. Sounds like it's serious and indefinite. I've ready a few posts online where Flames fans are kidding themselves saying that they are still going to make the playoffs. I seriously doubt it. They are a fringe team at the moment with great potential but this is not their year. If Gio is out for more than a week, maybe 2, it's curtains for the team for this season.

And I hope they don't brace him, shoot him full of painkillers just so he can play and keep their 2015 playoff hopes alive. It would be so short-sighted. It's not like they were going to go deep this year anyway. They consistently got their asses handed to them by better teams all season; the playoffs would be no different.

This is not the year. Let the stud rest and get the young guns one more year of experience. With roughly the same group and a few tweaks, next year they can take a run at it.

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2015 :  14:43:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You seem quite upset, Leigh. The sky aint falling. Both you, I have watch this team play well beyond expectations and have commented on the success of the rebuild. Giordano loss big, but if this team is gonna turn the corner into a successful rebuild and challenge in the playoffs, it cant be just one guy. Hope fully they can continue to win enough to lock down that last playoff spot without him and hopefully he come back soon enough so they can give a good run in the playoffs. Even a strong 1st round exit is a win for Calgary.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2015 :  15:22:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No not 'quite upset' at all Josh, not in real life terms. But my team did just lose its captain and I've read some people saying that he should come back, if at all possible, so the team can make the playoffs. From my couch coach perspective those short-sighted comments are bothersome to a degree.

It sounds like you are saying essentially what I said. This isn't the year, Gio is a big piece of the team, the young guys need more time, and they need to play with the formula a bit yet.

What would upset me is if he came back too soon just for the sake of the team making the playoffs. That would be a short-term mistake with long-term consequences.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2015 :  16:49:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Leigh is being very realistic. The Flames chances take a major hit with the loss of Giordano, if it's 2 weeks or more. This guy is the heart and soul of this team, not to mention, it's leading scorer!!! It will be extremely difficult for them to make the playoffs without him. This is not to say they ought to quit or anything, just that making any drastic moves at this point could be costly long term. A few playoff games would pad the pockets of the owners of course, but they really need to look at the big picture and realize they are still not a serious contender at this stage. Be happy with the team you have, as it's ahead of schedule as far as the rebuild goes!
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2015 :  00:20:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lived in Calgary during the last cup run, but remember I am a Sens fan first. Loved the city and atmosphere during that time. Forgetting for a second that I agree Giordano loss is a huge blow to the Flames, this team has a tonne of weapons. A skilled defense, good scoring with up and coming prospects and a few good veterans, including a goaltender that has played in the big games (late post season) Trust me as an Ottawa Senator fan, who watched his team make a late season playoff run, with $25 to 30 million of a $60 million roster sitting on the IR (Karlsson, Spezza, Michalek and Anderson etc etc) I think Calgary, if they find success in his absence, will come out better. If they are in a playoff position when he comes back, this could be a similar team to what LA did in there 1st cup win and similar to Calgary's last cup run. The weren't suppose to be strong enough to make the cup final that year either.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2015 :  06:49:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting. ....Giordano took the pregame skate last night before being a late scratch. Wonder if that means it's not as bad as first thought? Maybe he'll miss 2 or 3 games and this won't be as big a loss?
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2015 :  23:18:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I suspect that he took the skate for strategic "trading" reasons. Because the Flames don't want anybody they are dealing with (or may be dealing with) to think that they are weak or desperate. They would get less in any deal if that were the case. They were just displaying that the injury "is not as bad as you think". Smart, if a little transparent.
Go to Top of Page

blade
Rookie

Canada
199 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2015 :  15:36:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.tsn.ca/flames-d-giordano-to-miss-rest-of-season-1.220460
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2015 :  07:14:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My condolences, Leigh, on the loss of Giordano for the season.

Look - they would have been in tough anyways with a charging LA and even the Sharks perhaps making a late run. And to be honest, they can now play very loosey-goosey with now zero expectations on them (I know they weren't high before, but still . . .).

I agree, it would have been terrible for them to rush him back, but it appears that will not happen, and there's no indication from management that they would ever let it happen.

Hey - it'll still be fun cheering for Calgary to give LA a run for its money for that final spot . . . I have Johnny Hockey in my keeper pool anyways, so I've always got my eyes on the Flames now!

Don't Leaf me hanging, Buds!
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2015 :  09:36:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guys, I have 1 point to make and then I will let this rest. Chara goes down and Boston keeps winning. Crosby goes down and Pittsburgh keeps winning. Kane goes down and Chicago keeps winning. Hall goes down in Edmonton and the team is actually playing better hockey. My point, Giordano is one man and less of a loss than Chara in Boston, Crosby in Pittsburgh, Kane in Chicago and Hall in Edmonton, unless you think that Giordano is more important to this team, or better, than the others I suggested. You cant say this team is a one trick pony. People have been writing this team off all year. He's just one player folks. No reason the Flames can't make the playoffs.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2015 :  20:19:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

Guys, I have 1 point to make and then I will let this rest. Chara goes down and Boston keeps winning. Crosby goes down and Pittsburgh keeps winning. Kane goes down and Chicago keeps winning. Hall goes down in Edmonton and the team is actually playing better hockey. My point, Giordano is one man and less of a loss than Chara in Boston, Crosby in Pittsburgh, Kane in Chicago and Hall in Edmonton, unless you think that Giordano is more important to this team, or better, than the others I suggested. You cant say this team is a one trick pony. People have been writing this team off all year. He's just one player folks. No reason the Flames can't make the playoffs.

Respectfully diasagree. All the other teams you mentioned? They are deep, have other superstar players in their core, and they have lots of experience. Giordano's loss will be felt much more, I think . . . mostly because of the youth and inexperience in Calgary. But c'est la vie, it's a "learning year" anyways, and the team has a fairly bright future.

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2015 :  22:08:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Slozo on all accounts. Far deeper teams mentioned and if I were a Flames fan, or involved with the organization in some capacity, I'd be ok with the way the year has gone. You never know, guys could step their games up in his absence and maybe they squeeze into the 8th spot? Even getting beat in round 1 at this point is prob some good experience for this young team.
Go to Top of Page

markliso
Rookie

Canada
104 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2015 :  17:45:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
as an oiler fan painfully living in calgary, I can only hope this helps them slide down in the standings. and yet, they still keep on charging. I still think CGY will end up 9th, that was with or without Gio.

This team has been a definite surprise this year. I've said all year "I don't think they can keep it up" and yet they continue to finding ways to win, even in teh face of all these fancy statistics that keep getting thrown around these days. Gotta hand it to them.

As much as it pains to say this, would be kind of fun to see playoff hockey back in Alberta.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2015 :  08:53:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While you are all arguing how much of a loss Giordano is and how less deep the Flames are, having already written them out of the playoff position, they have continued chugging along win 3 straight wins. With the last one against a strong Detroit team and a back to back game. They are very much still in playoff contention. I expect some crow eating from a few of you.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2015 :  16:59:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
JoshuaCanada, you are missing the point of my initial post. I am not saying that they WON'T make the playoffs, I am saying that IF they did they likely won't go deep this year. So believing this to be true I was hoping that management wouldn't take the risk of rushing him back just because they were on the cusp of making it. The long term risk was not worth the short term gain.

And for the record, I completely agree with Slozo that Girodano is at least as worthy to his team as, say, Crosby is to his. I'm not saying he is a better player or even as good, just that the relative value to their respective teams is equal when you factor in where each team is in it's evolution; Pittsburgh would not be satisfied with anything less than making the finals, whereas Calgary considers it a success just to make the playoffs in their first year of rebuilding.

Having said that, the Flames have been playing great and I love that they are still in it. I never doubted the "possibility", but I did think the probability took a serious hit without Gio. Again, I'm hopeful, but I would not bet on it unless I had some serious odds.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2015 :  22:11:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Leigh, I apologize if your point was only that the Flames should not rush Giordano back only to have him for 1 round in the playoffs, maybe 2. He is a great player coming into his own this season and I agree is an important player for this franchise. I just wanted to point of the fact this team was still playing well without him and was not a 1 trick pony. As good a year as Giordano is having at some point people are going to start acknowledging TJ Brodie, Wideman, Hudler, Gaudreau, Monahan and both goaltenders Ramo / Hiller are all having excellent years. As good as Giordano was playing people were over looking a talented roster of 8 players playing at a level above what other people viewed as there potential, with a good group of role players and prospects in the systeml. A few years from now if the core stays intact I believe people will talk about how well built this team is.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2015 :  07:41:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I said it would be "extremely difficult" to make the playoffs without Giordano and I have to admit, they're doing FAR better than I anticipated without him! I'm actually quietly rooting for them to squeeze into the playoffs as I like a feel good story! It's a shame Gio won't be available if they do squeeze in.

The Monohan, Hudler, Gaudreau line is working wonders! Makes me think I may have made the wrong choice earlier this season in my keeper league. In a package deal during the first month of the season, I had to choose between Gaudreau and Toffoli and I went with Toffoli. Still like him a lot and at the time it seemed like a no brainer as he was off to an incredible start but Johnny Hockey seems to be the real deal and being in Calgary, is getting all the ice time he wants/needs. TT, in LA, is not quite in that situation. Maybe one day, but the Kings are very deep.

Speaking of the Kings, I still see them getting into the playoffs, so at this point, the question is, at who's expense? Calgary, Vancouver, Winnipeg or Minnesota?
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2015 :  14:33:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Leigh, I apologize if your point was only that the Flames should not rush Giordano back only to have him for 1 round in the playoffs, maybe 2. He is a great player coming into his own this season and I agree is an important player for this franchise. I just wanted to point of the fact this team was still playing well without him and was not a 1 trick pony. As good a year as Giordano is having at some point people are going to start acknowledging TJ Brodie, Wideman, Hudler, Gaudreau, Monahan and both goaltenders Ramo / Hiller are all having excellent years. As good as Giordano was playing people were over looking a talented roster of 8 players playing at a level above what other people viewed as there potential, with a good group of role players and prospects in the systeml. A few years from now if the core stays intact I believe people will talk about how well built this team is.

Nailed it.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2015 :  17:01:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leigh

quote:

Nailed it.

....actually, the point was about not rushing him back in an effort to make the playoffs, but by extension also the playoffs themselves...we're close JoshuaCanada.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2015 :  07:29:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Calgary has a real chance to squeeze into the last spot, but it's gonna be cloooooose . . . they need Johnny Hockey to have a few great games, a couple of steals from their goalies, and a few bounces in between would be nice.

What a story if they really make it. I'm actually cheering for them now, gotta admit it. I like their story even more than Winnipeg's, I think. More improbable, when looking back at the beginning of the season and what all hockey experts were predicting.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page