Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Let's be done with "finishing checks" Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2015 :  08:19:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If this latest concussion that Kris Letang has apparently been dealt isn't enough, what is? It's time that the "finish your check" mentality is wiped out of the game. This sort of thing is getting ridiculous. If Doan truly meant to "make sure Letang couldn't jump by him and join the outbreak" then a simple bump to interfere is more than enough. I like Doan, but he's been known to play at or just over the edge and this unfortunately is what can result. I'm all for a big, legal check, but at what point does this have to start being called "interference" or something?

Something has to change imo.....

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/kris-letang-taken-to-hospital-after-shane-doan-hit--video-205547204.html

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2015 :  07:10:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just saw this now. Should have been called boarding . . . I know it's not a traditional boarding call when the player is facing the boards, but that's boarding, for sure.

Should be a couple of games suspension, IMHO.

Where's the new 'Shanahan stand-in' league dsiciplinarian now?!? This guy's been super quiet . . . almost invisible, one might say . . .

Don't Leaf me hanging, Buds!
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2015 :  07:38:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No suspension. Seems "Puck Daddy" agrees with the decision?

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/shane-doan-won-t-be-suspended-by-nhl-for-kris-letang-hit-181216338.html

I still think that they need to change the rule on "finishing checks" so that if it's more than a second after the guy has dished off the puck that it can't be violent. It will be tough to call as it will be very discretionary but something has to be done. I'm tired of seeing a guy make a pass out of his end in the corner only to be hit 2.5 seconds later by a guy coming at him. If it's a bump, it's one thing, but guys are still trying to decapitate others half the time!
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2015 :  08:52:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

No suspension. Seems "Puck Daddy" agrees with the decision?

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/shane-doan-won-t-be-suspended-by-nhl-for-kris-letang-hit-181216338.html

I still think that they need to change the rule on "finishing checks" so that if it's more than a second after the guy has dished off the puck that it can't be violent. It will be tough to call as it will be very discretionary but something has to be done. I'm tired of seeing a guy make a pass out of his end in the corner only to be hit 2.5 seconds later by a guy coming at him. If it's a bump, it's one thing, but guys are still trying to decapitate others half the time!

I don't think this hit was more than a second after Letang got rid of the puck, in fact it appears to have been a reasonably quick delivery. If you look at the beginning of the video, there is a clock at the top of the scoreboard: Letang releases puck at 4:51, hit is delivered sometime between 4:50 and 4:49 (the hit is not seen at that point in the video, but you can corroborate the timing at the beginning with a slowmo later in the sequence).

Late hit and illegal "finishing of check"? I don't think so. Boarding? Absolutely. Letang is in the dangerous area ~3-4 feet from the boards. I agree with Slozo - had he been facing the boards and gone in face first, this would have been a surefire penalty. The fact that he was facing away from the boards makes it look far less ugly at the time.

As for finishing checks in general... I don't have a problem with it, so long as its a legal hit.
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2015 :  22:34:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah sorry the more i watch this hit the more i feel like a lot of the time when Letang get injured (which is always) if Letang would stand up and take his hits instead of always try to dodge them and then getting hit off balance thing like this wouldn t happen to him.

Im just saying Letang is in a vunerable position to me only because hes putting his weight on his back foot trying to lean out of the way of Doans Check, Doan really doesnt hit him hard not even close, no i cant see this at all as a bad hit, this is a hockey hit to me and this is a player who gets hurt because he constantly is ducking checks

Hello, 911? It's an emergency, my teddy bear's been kidnapped!
[pause] Hello? Hello?
Go to Top of Page

umteman
PickupHockey Pro

USA
662 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2015 :  08:06:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well this sort of thing has got to change. I am not surprised that Matt Cooke was once a Cunuck.

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2015/3/31/8323911/two-canucks-ejected-after-illegal-hit-taunting-injured-predators

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2015 :  11:05:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by umteman

Well this sort of thing has got to change. I am not surprised that Matt Cooke was once a Cunuck.

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2015/3/31/8323911/two-canucks-ejected-after-illegal-hit-taunting-injured-predators

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"

Bah. Just added to an otherwise very entertaining game. Burrows definitely should have been penalized for illegal hit to the head, but a glancing blow to from a guy 6 inches and 40 pounds lighter than Gaustad should not cause him to drop like a wet sack of s**t - Gaustad definitely sold it. No doubt Burrows will receive a suspension for it as well.

EDIT: apparently no suspension or fine for Burrows, reportedly based on the fact that the contact was deemed "incidental"

I'm not sure why Bieksa was tossed (nor was an explanation offered to Willie during or after the game apparently).

No love lost between these two teams, and par for the course this season.

Edited by - nuxfan on 04/01/2015 12:44:37
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2015 :  16:59:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by umteman

What's this got to do with Matt Cooke? And what's a "Cunuck"? Are you trying to imply that the Canucks are breeding guys who play on/over the edge? Yeah, sure, it's only Canuck players who have ever been accused of this?

As for this hit, I find it comical that on numerous websites and their comments sections this sort of thing ends with the immaturity of both Canucks fans and Canucks haters battling back and forth about whether or not it was dirty, illegal, etc.
Hater - Burrows is a d-bag, obvious cheap shot, guy should be banned.....blah....blah....blah...
Fan - Gaustad dove/embellished! He should be fined! Burrows skated in a straight line!
Hater - Typical Canuck fan supporting their dbag players! Whole organization is cheap, divers, no class....blah...blah...blah....
Fan - Look what Toffoli did to Burrows last week....blah...blah...blah....
Hater - So what, Burrows should be fair game! Even fans should be able to jump on the ice and kick his ass!
Fan - You're an idiot! NO SUSPENSION! Hahahahaha.....
Hater - Yeah, go burn down your city again moron.....

Yup, these sorts of things bring this never ending conversation back to the forefront unfortunately.

IMO, the Burrows hit was worthy of an interference penalty but 5 and a game was a bit much, as evident by the fact there was no additional penalty given upon review. Let's face it, if the league felt there was even one iota of evidence of something truly malicious, Burrows is not one they'd offer a free pass to!!!

The hit was unnecessary for sure and could easily have been avoided, but considering there was no original call on the play, even with one ref staring right in that direction, I don't think 5 and a game was the correct call.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page