Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Where will the Oilers place in the 2015/16 season? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2015 :  17:40:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
With yet another NHL #1 draft pick and new management we want to know where you think the Edmonton Oilers will finish in the next regular season...

Choices:

Top 25%
Upper-middle 25%
Lower-middle 25%
Bottom 25%
Dead-Stinkin-Last!

defobust
Top Prospect

Canada
22 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2015 :  12:37:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe it is still way to early to put a thought on this question. Yes they have a new GM and President in Cherrli which is a great move. But there are still many things to do in Edmonton. Here is to name a few.

1) Get a couple of capable D-man. Right now who they have is very very bad. Andrew Ference is likely the only one who should be in the NHL or at least a top 4. One top pairing Dman would be very nice.

2) Need a real goalie. This has been Edmontons number one issue for years. Ben Scrivens is a great AHL goalie but cannot handle 40 shots against in the NHL.

3) Dont mess up again at the draft this year. No matter what Edmonton you cannot trade this pick. Although you need Defense bad you are getting this best player since Sidney Crosby who can very easily turn your team around and get you back to the promise land.

4) Do not be affraid to make a move with other players not named Mc David. You have a ton of number 1 picks that just have not panned out. Make a move get some guys to build your team. You need pieces to the puzzle and the guys you have can net you some of those. Trade eberle for something maybe even move Hall if you get the right things for them.

With McDavid soon to be drafted I am sure other players would love to test their luck in Edmonton. This team could be great like it was in the late 80's and early 90's as long as they do it right.

Sean K
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2015 :  17:37:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Never too early to put a thought into ANY question . . . only a matter of how exact we can be in the prediction!

And yeah . . . what team out of the playoffs DOESN'T need a very good goalie and a couple of great d-men? lol honestly . . .

Anyways, my prediction, at this time of April 28th, 2015?

Well, to guess where the Oilers place, I have to predict their roster somewhat . . . and I do predict some trades and signings. At least one major signing, I think, and I big trade - one of the young gun centres, is my guess (obviously not McDavid).

Goaltending will still be iffy, I think their D will have a minor improvement, and their offence might be quite decent. Heck, even this year it should have been much much better with the talent on that team.

Non-playoff team, but competitive. 10th place in the Western Conference.

Don't Leaf me hanging, Buds!
Go to Top of Page

defobust
Top Prospect

Canada
22 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2015 :  06:16:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did answer the question before I posted. I said middle of the pack. Which means I can see them making the playoffs in a lower seed.

I do feel Edmonton will be much improved. There are goalies on the market they could sign who is a upgrade to what they have...dyubnk and neimi are the two I know of. Our beloved leafs have two goalies better that we could deal for some of edmontons pieces. This would free up some cap for Edmonton as well to make a splash. Just a thought but I would trade Reimer and Polak and a 2nd Rd pick for Taylor Hall.

Sean K
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2015 :  09:51:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by defobust
.......but I would trade Reimer and Polak and a 2nd Rd pick for Taylor Hall.

Sean K

Pretty sure it will take much more than a borderline #1 (possibly a good backup), Roman Polak and a 2nd rounder to fetch Taylor Hall!

I do agree there are goalie upgrades to be had but what I'm curious about is the prospect pool in the Oilers organization in regards to a goalie? Any up and coming guys they expect to be good? Prob for them is, they kinda need a good solid vet type guy right now who can help them develop a winning culture until a young guy is drafted or developed or even traded for? Unless of course they can get a guy like F. Andersen if Ana finally decides to give the job in Ana to Gibson? This will likely depend on how far Ana goes this year and if Andersen is the guy who takes them deep? Basically I'm saying that if Edm can get a guy who's 24-28 and can build with him, great, if not, get a vet to lead them for a few years till they can get the long term solution? Ben Bishop's another guy who comes to mind if TB decides to go to Vasilevski sooner than later? Again, like Andersen, this year's playoffs will go a long way to helping them make that decision!

I'd love for them to have some interest in R. Miller but inter divisional trades are not common.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2015 :  09:56:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My goodness, would take a lot more than that to get Taylor Hall . . . and that's not a player that Toronto would be looking at, guaranteed (and no offence to him, he's an excellent player).

That being said - Reimer in Toronto should be one of the Oiler's targets to shore up the goaltending. Maybe one of the Calgary goalies, but that's a tough deal to make and highly unlikely.

Phaneuf should also be a target for Edmonton, but it'll cost them, so it just depends what they're willing to pay . . . RNH, and Toronto throws in someone else? Who knows . . .

IT's going to be a FUN summer for deals, I have a great feeling. With Edmonton sure to make deals in preparation for McDavid coming, with Toronto's potential firesale and two high level players probably leaving, and some big-time players on the teams that missed the playoffs maybe being in play . . . (San Jose, LA, Boston) . . . it's gonna be exciting.

Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2015 :  11:04:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

My goodness, would take a lot more than that to get Taylor Hall . . . and that's not a player that Toronto would be looking at, guaranteed (and no offence to him, he's an excellent player).

That being said - Reimer in Toronto should be one of the Oiler's targets to shore up the goaltending. Maybe one of the Calgary goalies, but that's a tough deal to make and highly unlikely.

Phaneuf should also be a target for Edmonton, but it'll cost them, so it just depends what they're willing to pay . . . RNH, and Toronto throws in someone else? Who knows . . .

IT's going to be a FUN summer for deals, I have a great feeling. With Edmonton sure to make deals in preparation for McDavid coming, with Toronto's potential firesale and two high level players probably leaving, and some big-time players on the teams that missed the playoffs maybe being in play . . . (San Jose, LA, Boston) . . . it's gonna be exciting.

I like and dislike Phaneuf, but I in no way see Edmonton targeting Phaneuf or dangling RNH as trade bait unless the 2nd part of the Toronto trade is Bernier and/or Toronto eats a little Phanuef salary. If they are gonna lose a RNH type player they are gonna target a #1 goalie. Phanuef, although his contract is all we talk about, would be of value for this team, but he is not half value for RNH.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2015 :  15:13:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

quote:
Originally posted by slozo

I like and dislike Phaneuf, but I in no way see Edmonton targeting Phaneuf or dangling RNH as trade bait unless the 2nd part of the Toronto trade is Bernier and/or Toronto eats a little Phanuef salary. If they are gonna lose a RNH type player they are gonna target a #1 goalie. Phanuef, although his contract is all we talk about, would be of value for this team, but he is not half value for RNH.

Wouldn't be Bernier, but Toronto would likely have to throw in someone else besides Phaneuf for RNH, sure. I agree with that - I was just initially putting it out there that a solid, experienced d-man like Phaneuf is EXACTLY what Edmonton needs, and more to the point . . . who else is out there this summer that fits that bill?

Exactly. Bottom line, Edmonton management will have to deal at least one significant piece to go forward and get that solid, experienced defence man they absolutely need to compete in the Western Conference. I think with McDavid and a guy like Phaneuf . . . the Oil are way ahead of where they were this year - they'd be competitive for a playoff spot.

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2015 :  13:36:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If anyone from the Oilers moves this summer it's Eberle or Yakupov. Hall, Hopkins, Klefbom, and Nurse are virtually untouchable. Dreseidal is nearly untouchable as well. There are actually a few decent UFAs in the mix this year such as Martin, Beachemin, Green, and Franson. Niemi is also a UFA this year as is Dubnyk but not only will Minny likely sign him but I doubt he would come back to Edmonton.

With the change in management and the prospects of McDavid, I think there MAY be a few more UFAs interested in coming North.

And no way Phaneuf makes sense in Edmonton unless TO keeps 1/2 his salary. Not a chance.

Oh, and next year the Oilers finish between 18-22 in the league. Any higher than that will be a bonus and any lower will be very disappointing.

Edited by - Beans15 on 05/04/2015 13:37:09
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2015 :  15:32:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with everything you said here. Yaks is gonna be shopped. his value is at an alltime high outside of his draft year. Hope the returns are decent because he is starting to develop well. Had he developed sooner, Edmonton would have been crazy to lose him. Would love for my team to make an offer here, as I would love to see Yaks paired with Zibanejad and have a few defenseman who the Oilers might want, not named Karlsson, who is untouchable.

Eberle will be shopped and should generate a tonne of lookers. If the return is decent (top 4 defenseman) it might make sense to move him. Toronto might be a destination for him, but I don't see Phanuef coming in return for that trade either at full value without some salary being retained by Toronto.

quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

If anyone from the Oilers moves this summer it's Eberle or Yakupov. Hall, Hopkins, Klefbom, and Nurse are virtually untouchable. Dreseidal is nearly untouchable as well. There are actually a few decent UFAs in the mix this year such as Martin, Beachemin, Green, and Franson. Niemi is also a UFA this year as is Dubnyk but not only will Minny likely sign him but I doubt he would come back to Edmonton.

With the change in management and the prospects of McDavid, I think there MAY be a few more UFAs interested in coming North.

And no way Phaneuf makes sense in Edmonton unless TO keeps 1/2 his salary. Not a chance.

Oh, and next year the Oilers finish between 18-22 in the league. Any higher than that will be a bonus and any lower will be very disappointing.

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2015 :  16:45:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not so sure that RNH or Draisaitl won't be at least "shopped" and surely other teams will at least ask about or offer for them. Is either a 3rd line center? The "Noog" sure isn't. I don't know about Draisaitl's ability to play on the wing, but he's slated to be a center and I'd say his value is similar to Yak's when he was a rookie. It's all based on potential and draft position at this point. Sure, he had a small taste of NHL action this season, but I don't think any GM has soured on him with that not going so well as it was clear he wasn't ready, or at least, not ready for the NHL with the current state of his team. I just can't see the Oilers having a 3rd line C as Draisaitl or RNH.

I'd say Draisaitl is more likely to be move, only because RNH is somewhat proven AND is older/further along in his development. If the Oilers want to be relevant sooner than later, it'd make sense for RNH to be the 2nd center behind McJesus.

I can see Eberle and Yakupov being shopped as well, and I don't see all 3 moving on, but 1 is likely and possibly 2? I too don't think Hall is going anywhere.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2015 :  07:56:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the Oilers would be dumb to move any centre at this point. They have the potential to have McDavid, RNH, and Draisaitl in that order as their centres and 2 of the 3 are going to be on entry level deals for the next 2-3 years. Why not take that group at centre for, all in, around $9 million??? Dumb to move any of them at this point.

Yaks (who played far better with Roy and under Nelson) and Eberle are the trade bait. I don't think they will or should they move anyone else. I don't think they really move those guys without value either.

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2015 :  09:06:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess it could come down to what they can get for the guys they're willing to offer. I see your point Beans, regarding those 3 centers, and maybe it takes Draisaitl a few years to produce whereby you can keep him as a #3, but if McDavid is as good as expected, Draisaitl prob won't be thrilled being a 3C for very long IF he ends up producing well too? Goes back to J. Staal in Pittsburgh where the consensus was, he was being wasted in the #3 role.

Good problem to have, and one that Edm may put up with and continue this snails pace rebuild (who knows, maybe they get lucky AGAIN and get Mathews or Finnish kid who's supposed to be real good)? They could always move someone then but if they really want to get serious about being competitive, they need help NOW. If Eberle and / or Yaks can get them what they need, it's prob the right way to go as RNH can play 2C until Draisaitl is ready.
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2015 :  18:30:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With Ryan miller in net ... Would be my 1st move as oilers GM
And 3 solid D-men
Would make the playoffs
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2015 :  11:50:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you say Ryan Miller?? That's funny. There are prob 20-25 other goalies I would take over Miller. He's past his prime, way over paid, and a complete whiner in the dressing room and in front of the camera. He showed this year and last year with St Louis how over-hyped he is.

I would take almost any other starting goalie and some back ups before Miller. Thank the Lord you are not the Oilers GM.

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2015 :  14:05:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beans, I agree with the fact that Miller may be a little rich at the number he's getting, but I think the Oilers would benefit from a guy like him who's a veteran who could keep them in games. If he worked cap-wise, I'd lowball the Canucks with an offer and see how badly they want to get him "off the books" so to speak.

If you look at nuxfan's comment in another thread, he pointed out that Miller actually had a much better year in Vancouver than most are willing to recognize. His numbers were very close to his career numbers.

I don't know about him being a whiner in the dressing room or in front of cameras as I don't see him being any worse than the avg NHLer?

Again, not saying he is the be all end all and a need for sure for the Oilers, but I don't think he's as bad as you make him out to be, even at the price he's at.
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2015 :  18:46:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beans...
If my memory serves me correctly....
You had the same opinion of my statement a couple seasons ago when I said....
The oilers should offer a young talent to Ottawa for Ben Bishop #128526;... You still think that was a bad idea ???
Ryan Miller is exactly what the oilers need right now... A dam good vetern goalie who can play and a guy who can talk to and lead a befunkled, confused D - core
They lost out on bishop big time... A guy who has turned TB's organization around
PS... I guess yzerman seen the potential #128526;
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2015 :  23:53:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, wasn't finished my rant on this topic, had to post and run
Beans , goalies like Miller have the power to raise their play come playoff time, it's a special gift for some of these athletes
Out of those 20 or 25 goalies u would take before Miller... How many can do this ?... 90 % of the goalies u speak of have never and never will win a cup because they put up good regular season numbers but come playoff crunch their crap.
Bet Pek Rinne would be at the top of ur list... Where is he now?
Hamburgular went 20-1-2 down the stretch... Playoffs come and he chokes...
Miller went to St louis and had to compete for the net... Mistake by St louis
Miller went to Vancouver and got benched for Lack... Mistake by Vancouver
In Buffalo he was the man and excelled, prob would have won a stanly cup if Buffalo had an hockey team
Vancouver may still be playing if Miller was given the ball in game one, van chose lack, made miller second fiddle ( backup ) and pissed him off .... Brought him in to salvage their season when it was too late... Millers mindset wasn't there and Calgary was already on a roll
He needs to go to a team where he is the true number 1...a team like the oilers
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2015 :  10:13:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Duke

Beans , goalies like Miller have the power to raise their play come playoff time, it's a special gift for some of these athletes
Out of those 20 or 25 goalies u would take before Miller... How many can do this ?... 90 % of the goalies u speak of have never and never will win a cup because they put up good regular season numbers but come playoff crunch their crap.
In Buffalo he was the man and excelled, prob would have won a stanly cup if Buffalo had an hockey team
Vancouver may still be playing if Miller was given the ball in game one, van chose lack, made miller second fiddle ( backup ) and pissed him off .... Brought him in to salvage their season when it was too late... Millers mindset wasn't there and Calgary was already on a roll

Duke.....Kudos to your Bishop insight errrr, GUESS! Let's face it, no one knew for sure what BB would become as a goalie. If it were that easy, do you think Ottawa lets him go for the paltry return they saw? Regardless, you predicted he'd be a good goalie to go after for a team like Edmonton and no one can say anything but "you were spot on". Now for where you missed, and missed BADLY!

Let's start with this....Did you follow the Canucks down the stretch?Did you watch the entire Vancouver / Calgary series? Have you seen/read interviews with Miller since? Have you read what others have written about him and his play? I guess what I'm getting at is the fact that Miller wasn't 100% at ANY time in that series, ESPECIALLY the opening game! I'm not just talking prior to the loss in game 6, I'm talking about ANY time. His lateral movement wasn't what it needed to be in that last game and it likely cost them. Didn't Vancouver lead 3-0 early? Is that not a good enough lead for a goalie who has "the power to raise their play come playoff time"???

SO, to say the Canucks made a mistake by going with Lack is absurd. I'd have more respect for a comment saying "Lack should have started game 6" than I do "Mistake by Vancouver".

Oh wait, I nearly forgot about this...."Vancouver may still be playing if Miller was given the ball in game one......." Lol. Maybe they'd have been swept too? Did you happen to see game 1? It was arguably Lack's best of the series. Unfortunately for him, he got 1 goal in support, something that has become the norm in Vancouver lately (lack of playoff scoring). Then what'd he do? Oh, he won game 2. But I guess Miller would have won it even better right?

Lastly, by saying the Canucks brought him in to salvage their season when it was too late is ridiculous as well. He "mindset wasn't there"??? Huh, you mean this awesome goalie who has the "power to raise their play come playoff time" couldn't get in the right mindset with a couple days to think / prep?

I get it, you're trying to find ways to justify your argument with Beans but this whole "Vancouver made a mistake" thing is a joke! The guy wasn't healthy, had played all of 1 game in 2 months, yet you think they screwed up by not starting him in game 1. What a joke, you're the same guy who, if he'd started and failed miserably, would be on here saying "Vancouver screwed up by starting Miller".

I won't even get into your Rinne/Hamburglar/Miller in StL crap either. I just don't have it in me right now........
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2015 :  10:14:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry mods/admin.....just realized how FAR off topic this is getting.
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2015 :  10:51:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No Alex I don't follow the Canucks like that...
No I didn't know miller was hurt...
I think ur missing my main point all together.... Which is :
Some goalies can win cups - some goalies CANT
Ryan Miller ( in my opinion ) is a goalie who could have won a Stanley cup on a solid team
He was arguably the best goalie in hockey that year Crosby scored that weird goal on him during the Olympics... He has the ability
The Canucks brought him in and gave him mega millions for a reason
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2015 :  23:16:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I think ur missing my main point all together.... Which is :
Some goalies can win cups - some goalies CANT
Ryan Miller ( in my opinion ) is a goalie who could have won a Stanley cup on a solid team
He was arguably the best goalie in hockey that year Crosby scored that weird goal on him during the Olympics... He has the ability
The Canucks brought him in and gave him mega millions for a reason

He was not arguably the best goalie in the NHL in 2010, he WAS the best goalie in 2010 - Vezina trophy, first team all-star, MVP of the Olympics despite only winning silver. But 2010 was 5 years ago...

Today, he is a 34 year old goalie that is not getting better with age. His stats last year were good, on par with career averages and worthy of a 6M salary for an NHL goalie. But really, VAN getting Miller was not a long term solution, he is a quality starter until Lack is ready to take over, or until Lack proves he's not going to take over and they get someone else.

Given that Lack seems to be ready to get a real shot at the starter job next season, I do think that Miller might be shopped this year, and EDM could certainly use a goalie like him, for 2 more years. He is steady, and once in a while spectacular, and would bring stability to an EDM net that has had little of that in recent memory.

EDM could also test the free agent market... I see the newly minted saviour of Minnesota Devin Dubnyk will be a UFA this year
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2015 :  13:11:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry don't mean to poke at this but Hambuglar didn't choke come the playoffs, he got outdueled in 2 1 goal games by a veteran playoff goalie who happens to be the leading vezina/hart candidate and his team badly got out played in the 2 games he played in. Hate to lay those 2 losses on the Hamburglar. Definitely get your point with the other goaltenders but didn't think this was a fair assessment.

quote:

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2015 :  11:55:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ryan Millers career playoff stats are virtually identical to his regular season stats. He hasn't elevated his play in the playoffs as suggested. In fact, I would say the opposite. The playoffs is when a player needs to step up his game and be better. Miller hasn't done that. Comparatively, Henrik Lunqvist is close to the same age as Miller but I would consider him still an elite level goalie. He has had about the same amount of playoff success as Miller but Henrik's number improve in the playoffs.

You are right when you say some players just elevate their games in the playoffs. Miller just isn't one of those guys,

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2015 :  10:11:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If your stats are the same in the playoffs as in the regular season . . . you're doing fantastic.

Don't get all the Miller hate whatsoever. He is a top 7 goalie in the league, and any year on the right team can be a Vezina candidate. Certainly good enough to win a cup on a great team.

And I hate Vancouver!!!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page