Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Western Conference - Pacific Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Calgary
 Giordano extension Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The_Gipper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
285 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2015 :  10:14:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm throwing this out there not only because i'm bored, and no one wants to seem to want to talk on here anymore....but also because I think this has some merit to it.

Giordano recently signed a multi-year extension that will more then likely have him stay with the Flames for the remainder of his career. he's coming off two excellent seasons of 45+ pts. in less then 65 games played in each season.
now, while his contract extension is arguably well deserved and there is no question he is a great asset to this team.....I wonder if they may have been better off to trade him?
- he's 31 years old and heading into the downside of his career
- there is a possibility these past two season will be the peak of his career
- his stock will probably never be as high
- has only played a full 82 game season (or close to it) twice in his career, with the next closest being 64 games

If the Flames were closer to being a cup contender then i'd say keep him. but as much as the Flames are an improved team, my thinking is that by the time they are ready to contend Mark will be well past his prime, and not contributing as much. so why not sell him while his stock is high and get some good young assets?

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2015 :  16:43:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Couldn't help myself on this one, had to comment. On paper it sounds like a good signing. Compared to Weber, Sutter, Doughty and Karlsson contracts, he is at a lower cap hit, but he is older than his comparables and against some his stats aren't comparable. 6 years at $6.75 for a 31 year old defenseman is a big number, but if he maintains or is close through the duration of his contract to last years performance its a good signing based on what I expect this quality of defenseman to be worth in years 4-5-6. If he drops off quickly or substantially in the first few years this is a bad signing. He earned the $6.75 for a few years, but 6 years? Way too long in my opinion. I would have gone higher $ and shorter term.
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2015 :  10:43:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agree with both ur comments.
Ottawa was in the exact same situation with goalie Anderson , couple years ago. When he was on fire 2 years ago , they should have reaped the rewards .
Too long for marks contract, they'll regret this terribly in 2-3 years ... He can't play a full season at age 30 , wonder what 34-35 will be like
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2015 :  09:31:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The_Gipper

I'm throwing this out there not only because i'm bored, and no one wants to seem to want to talk on here anymore....but also because I think this has some merit to it.

Yeah, it's a shame this site is so slow nowadays. I actually miss the old days where anonymous posters would call me a "retard", a "Beans ass kisser", etc and tell me that I "have no life" and stuff like that. Bummer. But it's really slowed down here over the past year or more to the point of being nearly dormant!

Anyway, back on topic, even though the mods prob aren't around to scold me anyway, the big problem with this deal it seems to be agreed is the term. Howerver, that just seems to be the way it is these days. It's what the market commands! I wouldn't want my team to have a guy Gio's age signed to those numbers, however, if you don't, you don't get the guy! It's a bit of a catch 22 and it seems that the market driven #'s are just that crazy! As Joshua mentioned though, in a couple of years, that number will prob be what an avg offensive dman is making, so if he doesn't falter in the next 2-3 years of it, it's maybe not so bad???

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2015 :  08:19:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

quote:
Originally posted by The_Gipper

Yeah, it's a shame this site is so slow nowadays. I actually miss the old days where anonymous posters would call me a "retard", a "Beans ass kisser", etc and tell me that I "have no life" and stuff like that. Bummer. But it's really slowed down here over the past year or more to the point of being nearly dormant!

Anyway, back on topic, even though the mods prob aren't around to scold me anyway, the big problem with this deal it seems to be agreed is the term. Howerver, that just seems to be the way it is these days. It's what the market commands! I wouldn't want my team to have a guy Gio's age signed to those numbers, however, if you don't, you don't get the guy! It's a bit of a catch 22 and it seems that the market driven #'s are just that crazy! As Joshua mentioned though, in a couple of years, that number will prob be what an avg offensive dman is making, so if he doesn't falter in the next 2-3 years of it, it's maybe not so bad???

I'll keep the word "retard" in only because you quoted it

My thoughts? I think if Giordiano regresses a bit . . . he becomes a Phaneuf, and people start complaining in Calgary about how he's paid too much. It could easily happen, I'm telling ya!

But I think he'll play it out in Calgary . . . and he's a very good player, I think the contract is fair for what he is right now, for sure.

Don't Leaf me hanging, Buds!
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2015 :  12:27:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The deal is fair for both side and term nor money is absurd. He is a bit injury prone and hasn't played a ton of seasons with more than 70 games. But, he has been a very solid performer on what has been a terrible team for most of his career. He's a legit leader and was a Norris candidate type of player for the past two seasons. Al beit, less than full seasons.

And the whole age thing is a very weak argument. Many defenders play well (and very well) into their 30's. Some schools of thought have defenders not really maturing until they are in their late 20s/early 30s. Giordano will be 37/38 by the time this deal is done. Calgary has their leader locked up through the prime if his career for a dollar value that is reasonable. Good and fair deal.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page