Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Ottawa playoff chances Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2015 :  10:49:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
I figured I would keep up the theme of Canadian teams and there playoff hopes.

Ottawa is a unique circumstance of just barely squeaking in on the last day of playoffs last year, but doing it with style in a historic run, with a historic run by a rookie goaltender. They are not likely to repeat the streak, but with the changes to the lineup being mostly addition by subtracting players and bringing along the rookies with 1 more year of experience, are they as likely to repeat. Notable subtractions from this lineup are Legwand, Lehner, Gryba and Condra, with no notable additions except a decent group of prospects who may crack the lineup. Can Hammond find last years magic, or Stone, or Hoffman. Can the rookie coach Cameron repeat his last years turn around with roughly the same group of players.

Choices:

Not enough additions, last year lucky, bottom of the East 15-12
Still enough core from last year, challenge for the playoffs 11-8
Lost the dead weight from the core, room to improve 8-6
Good enough core to challenge division leaders, 5-1

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2015 :  22:26:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They'll be nearer the bottom than the top, that's for sure.14-10 range I predict.

That goaltending can't be repeat . . . don't see it.
There'll be some sophomore slumping too.

Karlsson is a bright light, but he can't do it alone.

Don't Leaf me hanging, Buds!
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2015 :  13:58:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To be honest, I hope the goaltending doesn't need the miracle repeat to make the Playoffs. I am hoping for a healthy season of Anderson, a good look at the new Goaltender O'Connor and a reasonable season as backup from Hammond.

As for Karlsson being the lone bright spot I disagree. I think Turris and Zibby grew a lot last year, looking more and more like top 6 centers. Ottawa is flush with talented wingers, better than most Eastern teams. I bet they finish with 7 players with better than 20 goals between Stone, Hoffman, Turris, Zibby, Ryan, Michalek, Macarthur, possibly even Karlsson again. That's scoring depth with a few with the possibility of 30 goals or more. That's not even talking about the other bottom 6 players who are all up and coming prospects and decent role playing veterans. The bottom 6 will be comprised of Prince, Puempel, Lazar, Chaisson and Pageau who all have decent offensive capabilities, as well as role players Smith and a much fitter in camp Neil.

The only real question mark is defense. Karlsson, Methot are a good 1-2, but Wiercioch, Ceci is on paper our 3-4 with Cowen, Borowiecki, Phillips and Fraser to fight it out as the bottom pairing. They are hoping some of the defensive prospects in the system earn playing time in Chabot, Wikstrand, Harpur. Not that they are bad prospects but I would feel more comfortable if they had better veteran presence on the blue line, as this seems to be always the let down for Ottawa, especially when Methot or Karlsson are down for any length of time.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2015 :  15:07:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So far I am getting everything I am asking for, as my team is sitting tied in 5th place in the East, 2nd in there division with 6 of the 7 players playing at or near point a game pace with the loan exception being Mcarthur who was injured early on. Got the good look at O'Connor I was hoping for and he played decent in his relief for when Hammond got injured. Andy is playing as good as last year proving again why Ottawa has given him the #1 and Hammond is still playing good enough to prove he deserves to be an NHL and possibly a future #1.

The only down side as expected is the 3-6 defenseman, although Cowen and Boro are the worst of the bunch. All I want for xmas is defensive depth.

Signed a happy Sen's fan!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2015 :  10:26:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a good start . . . but it's early. Still, your team does look like a solid 7th or 8th place team right now.

East is as wide open as ever, I think. You watch, teams like the Isles, TB certainly . . . they'll get better as the season goes along. But teams like the Pens and Bruins, once conference powers, are all going to be in the mix with your Sens I think, in the bottom half of the playoff picture.

I have a feeling that this year, the last game of the season will decide a bunch of math-ups. Gonna be a race right until the end . . .

Don't Leaf me hanging, Buds!
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2015 :  16:44:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haven't seen them play, but have Turris in a pool as well as Hoffman and their numbers thus far are pretty darn good! I still think they'll be in a dog fight for one of the final spots.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2015 :  14:46:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.silversevensens.com/2015/12/5/9851534/erik-karlssons-speed-is-out-of-this-world

This my friends is why I am penciling in the Sens for the playoffs this year. Love watching 2 of the Sens (Hoffman-Karlsson) players blow by one of the faster and better players in the game (Kane)
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2015 :  10:23:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

http://www.silversevensens.com/2015/12/5/9851534/erik-karlssons-speed-is-out-of-this-world

This my friends is why I am penciling in the Sens for the playoffs this year. Love watching 2 of the Sens (Hoffman-Karlsson) players blow by one of the faster and better players in the game (Kane)

I'm not for a second trying to say Karlsson isn't fast, but that clip is a joke. Karlsson starts his "sprint" before Kane even begins to skate over towards him at the blue line. The whole "31 feet" thing is a joke as Kane isn't even involved in the play at that point and Karlsson take 6-7 "steps" towards leaving his end before Kane even reacts and begins to skate towards him. Even then, as Karlsson "blows by him", Kane is having to turn after being perpendicular to the boards.

Karlsson has wheels, no doubt. But this video is not as good an example as the writer wants to make us believe it is.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2015 :  15:02:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was more surprised at Hoffman keeping up step by step, than the wheels of Karlsson, which I am pretty use to, but I will say that Kane was turning and looked like he had Karlsson and underestimated his speed. He more tried to pin him on the boards than outright outrace him the 31 feet. Its why I love Sens Hockey. The speed is incredible when they are on for quite of few of there players.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page