Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Montreal President or playoff bubble Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2015 :  14:55:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
I hesitated to make a poll about Montreal, hoping instead someone else would post it. I don't think I am as complimentary to Montreal as a fan of the team would be.

The good of Montreal is the team has largely been unchanged for 4-5 years, have chemistry right outta camp, win games right away and they are legitimate playoff team, which has won a few rounds in the playoffs. They have beaten the odds on many occasions, poor shots against, weak 5 on 5, lack of depth scoring to almost becoming a President Trophy winner on the strength of Price and his Hart winning season.

The bad is the team struggles down the stretch to the playoffs, struggle to win a round, but are not a deep enough team to really challenge the deeper teams in the playoffs. They largely rely on 3 guys (Subban, Price, Paccoriety) whom if they miss 1 or the others for any length of time, they struggle.

They have a few younger players playing decent hockey and some role players who contribute enough to muster a decent regular season record. They do however struggle in the post season because they don't have enough offensive contributions to sustain a long playoff push. Is this the year the offensive depth comes from a offseason signing, trade deadline pickup or does this lineup have enough, as it is, to make it to that next level of offensive ability to truly compete come playoff time?

Choices:

Not enough changes, struggle without offense 12-9 just miss playoffs !
Growth comes from outside and within 8-6
Challenge for division / conference 5-2
This is the real deal President Trophey!
Other and why

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2015 :  16:01:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd be less shocked at a President's trophy than I would be the Habs finishing lower than 5th, so I picked 2-5. I think this is the year Galchenyuk takes the next step in his maturation and production and I also think you'll see a guy or two on D become more relevant as well. Beaulieu comes to mind as a possible break out player, however it may not be a huge breakout as he's going to have to earn his time on the PP behind Markov, Subban, Petry, etc. I think he takes another step and readies himself further for the eventual retirement of Markov.

Montreal remains Canada's best shot at a cup.
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2015 :  09:49:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes Alex I agree. BECAUSE of Carey Price of course. I'm a leafs fan , maybe I'm bias, I don't know but when I watch Montreal I see a .500 hockey team with a super-super star goalie.... Which makes them a team who can reach the NHL,s final 4.... BUT not a Stanley cup winner, it just gets too tough for them then, even with Price.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2015 :  14:14:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am gonna be the first to come out and say it. Montreal is better than I have given them credit for. There forwards are playing better than I thought they could and Carey Price is, if you can believe it, playing better than his MVP season. Hate that I have to say it, but I owe an apology to Montreal. Lots of season left for them to come back down to earth, but congrats on your best start to a season ever Montreal!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page