Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hits, Fights and other Nasties!
 Didn't take long.... Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2015 :  17:27:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, it didn't take long to have the first "questionable" hit pop up. This from opening night, Kings vs Sharks. The ever present Dustin Brown makes a lunging hit on Couture. It wasn't penalized, and though the league is giving him a warning, it was decided it was not suspension worthy.

Ugly lunge at him coming through the center ice area. What are your thoughts?

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/why-dustin-brown-wasn-t-suspened-for--head-butt--on-logan-couture-164900844.html

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2015 :  21:16:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seems like a legal hit, and it's a hockey play - he is taking out a guy from the rush. The only niggling point may be that it's a second and a half after dishing out the puck . . .

It was a Scott Stevens special, that's what it reminded me of. That's good hard hockey . . . GRRRRR!

It's close to crossing a line, but it doesn't. Good non-call IMHO.

Don't Leaf me hanging, Buds!
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2015 :  11:14:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

Seems like a legal hit, and it's a hockey play - he is taking out a guy from the rush. The only niggling point may be that it's a second and a half after dishing out the puck . . .

It was a Scott Stevens special, that's what it reminded me of. That's good hard hockey . . . GRRRRR!

Apologies in advance, I hate to rehash my beloved Canucks SCF loss to Boston, but whenever timing is brought into question on a hit, I think back to that Aaron Rome on Nathan Horton hit. I believe it was agreed that it was under 1 second late. These hits are very similar, though Couture got up, slightly bloodied, and carried on. I am left wondering what would have happened if he were KO's and left lying on the ice awaiting a stretcher?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2015 :  13:48:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

quote:
Originally posted by slozo

Apologies in advance, I hate to rehash my beloved Canucks SCF loss to Boston, but whenever timing is brought into question on a hit, I think back to that Aaron Rome on Nathan Horton hit. I believe it was agreed that it was under 1 second late. These hits are very similar, though Couture got up, slightly bloodied, and carried on. I am left wondering what would have happened if he were KO's and left lying on the ice awaiting a stretcher?

To me personally, I don't take injury into account. Guys get injured all the time on good clean hockey plays and hits.

I cannot tell how late, if at all, it was - I need a clock underneath to do that fairly. Did you time it?

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2015 :  13:31:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Slozo....I looked at the vid best I could but when I freeze the clip just as the puck leaves Couture's stick and then again when contact between Couture and Brown occurs, it's still on :04 seconds. It's difficult without hundredths of seconds of course but it's prob somewhere around 1 sec? Tough to say and I can't recall for sure what is deemed ok? Either way, Couture was fortunate to be ok.

Have a look at this slo-mo view. Looks pretty ugly and could have been much worse for sure!

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2015/10/7/9477249/dustin-brown-hit-logan-couture-kings-sharks
Go to Top of Page

Ripley
PickupHockey Pro

USA
365 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2015 :  15:22:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This hit was questionable for sure. I would deem it a hit to the head (and I'm old school) and a suspension by today's standards. But I think Brown's reputation as a "gritty" player and not a "dirty" player has granted him a get-out-of-jail-free pass this time.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2015 :  19:00:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't understand how that is not a suspension. He lunged head first into Couture's face and it was the initial point of contact. Seems like a captain is getting preferential treatment to me.
Go to Top of Page

Resource Factor
Top Prospect

United Arab Emirates
2 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2023 :  04:20:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Appears to be a legitimate hit, and it's a hockey play - he is taking out a person from the hurry. The main niggling point might be that it's a second and a half in the wake of doling out the puck . . .

It was a Scott Stevens extraordinary, that is the very thing it helped me to remember. That is great hard hockey . . . GRRRRR!

It's near crossing a line, however it doesn't. Great non-call IMHO
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page