Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Calgary Flames are on a roll! Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2336 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2015 :  16:39:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
The Flames have gone 7-2-1 in the last 10 games including 6 straight wins. Do they have a serious chance of making the playoffs this season?

Choices:

Yes
No

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2015 :  13:59:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For sure they can make it. If they continue to play well, and I'm not saying/expecting the pace they're currently on, they only need to finish top 3 in what has quickly become a pathetic Pacific Division. They currently sit 3rd, just one point back of SJ for 2nd and only 2 points up on Edm/Ari/Van. LA is in front, and will likely stay there. Let's assume SJ stays where they are in 2nd (though this is far from a guarantee). Cal would need to stay ahead of:
Edmonton - could be some competition, esp when McDavid returns
Arizona - Shouldn't be tough, esp with Smith out for 2+ months
Vancouver - Looking to enter the A. Matthews sweepstakes
Anaheim - 5 points back, but a game in hand on Cal. Sadly, this could be the team that gives them the most trouble!!! If Ana gets hot and starts playing like they're capable, I see them making a run.

If they don't hang onto 3rd in the Pacific, they'd be in a battle with a couple other teams currently a few points ahead of them for a wildcard. Top 3 in the Pacific is def their easiest route.

IF, somehow, they continue this recent play, they could do even better and possibly challenge LA for the Div, even with LA's current 10pt lead.
Go to Top of Page

markliso
Rookie

Canada
104 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2015 :  05:32:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As are things in Edmonton, we will follow-up our 6 game winning streak with a 6 game losing streak (half way there after last night's blowout in COL). So yeah, as stated above, the weak pacific division will really play to CGY's advantage but also, it looks like CGY has finally got their groove back. They have been playing well and looks like last year's form is back.

Will be funny if they secure that third spot in the Pacific and end up playing a better team in the first round yet still have home ice advantage haha.
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2015 :  18:52:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All revolves around goal tending my friends. If Calgary can get steady goaltending, sure they can make the playoffs.
Markliso, i watched some of that edm vs col game and it seemed to me that the oilers were getting top quality scoring chances but the av,s goaltending stoned them cold. As soon as the av,s then moved the puck down ice, bang , in the net.
Just look at Montreal, my god no-one could seem to beat them, last 10 games without Price they,re 2 wins and 8 losses, prob the wosrt record in hockey over the last 10 games, without Price they,re a lottery team based on the last 10 games without him.
Bernier has one outstanding game and the leafs beat the mighty kings 5-0....a 5th overall place team ( LA ) vs the leafs , a team in a 3 way tie for 30th overall in a league with 30 teams going into sat,s game...!!!!!!!
ALL STARTS in goal.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2015 :  09:32:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by markliso

Will be funny if they secure that third spot in the Pacific and end up playing a better team in the first round yet still have home ice advantage haha.

Happens quite often in the NFL. Carolina finished 7-8-1 last year, yet hosted the 11-5 Arizona Cardinals. Seattle did it a few years before that as well. I think they were 7-9 and hosted the Saints who I believe were 11-5? Ironically, both home teams with the crappier records won. This year, the NFC east could have the same thing happen actually.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page