Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference -Metropolitan Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Pittsburgh
 Should the Pens trade Kessel? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The_Gipper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
285 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2016 :  12:26:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One reporter at SI seems to think so:

http://www.si.com/nhl/2016/01/20/pittsburgh-penguins-phil-kessel-trade-possibility

Going into the season hardly anybody thought this acquisition would work out as badly as it has to this point in the season. And there is no question that teams around the league who are in need of more offense would love to have Kessel on their roster. But given his current production pace combined with the hefty contract that comes along with him, I 'm not sure many teams would be willing to give it a chance. At least not this year...

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2016 :  15:26:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Honestly Vancouver. With the Sedins late in there career and no replacement on the horizon why not. Could they afford him? What would they have to give back in replacement, I don't know, but he would be perfect for a team falling out of the playoff picture due to lack of scoring talent on the roster.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2016 :  08:48:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Count me as shocked that he's not fit in in Pittsburgh. I woulda bet he would have min 40 and maybe 50 this year! And I don't mean points!!! Lol

I don't see Vancouver being interested in this guy. They're finally going young, and I don't think Kessel is the kind of guy you want mentoring your youth!

IF, the Canucks were a contender, then perhaps they'd add a guy like this, but certainly not today. I can't even think of a team that might take a shot at him today?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2016 :  10:25:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To all the Leafs fans who went on and on and on to defend Kessel, and tell us all over and over again how great a talent he was, and that we should keep him:

Bwaaaaahh haaaa haaa haaa haaa haaa haaaaaaaaaaaaaaahh!!!!

Told you so.

Don't Leaf me hanging, Buds!
Go to Top of Page

umteman
PickupHockey Pro

USA
662 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2016 :  10:42:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If they are to trade him (and why not) now seems to be the time as it is a seller's market; several teams looking for some offense.

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"
Go to Top of Page

umteman
PickupHockey Pro

USA
662 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2016 :  19:17:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I may have spoken too soon - he scored two goals tonight including the clincher.

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2016 :  06:15:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by umteman

I may have spoken too soon - he scored two goals tonight including the clincher.

Perfect! His value just skyrocketted up.....another 2 goals worth!
Go to Top of Page

umteman
PickupHockey Pro

USA
662 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2016 :  06:47:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At this point I'm just happy for the points in the standings no matter where they came from!

Edited by - umteman on 02/06/2016 06:35:22
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2016 :  15:47:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Trade Kessel ? Bottom line here is that the Pens are stuck with kessel for good. I assume kessel still has his 8 team trade list which he will accept a trade to. The leafs reached out to these 8 teams and the ONLY team which bite was Pittsburg. If the other 7 teams had 0 interest in him last season, why in the name of god would they be interested in him now ?
If kessel leaves Pittsburg , it will be a buyout.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2016 :  12:16:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With 6 points in his last 5 games, he is starting to redeem this trade as he is tracking his career average in points while being 1 of 10 players with a good +/- with decent corsi and possession stats, which is a positive change from last year. Funny enough Crosby and Malkin are negative +/-, but have similar corsi and possession stats. With Pittsburgh going 2-1-2 in there last 5 games they need all the firepower they cant get as they are tracking just outside of a playoff position. I'd say he is likely a safe bet to not be traded.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2016 :  08:00:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"With 6 points in his last 5 games"

Yep . . . change that to . . . with 1 goal and 1 assist in his last 5 games.

That's why it's very dangerous to show very small sample sizes as proof of things to come. You honestly have to see something different in the way he's playing to jump to that conclusion, and . . . honestly, from what I've seen, he is chugging along at a pace which suggests it will be a struggle for Kessel to get to 30 goals and/or 60 points. He's not going to be playing with Crosby unless it's the pp, that much is clear. He is probably occasionally going to be put with Malkin, where he's had sporadic success. But mostly, he'll probably remain on the "3rd line", with spot duty on Malkin's line to get him more minutes.

The question of this topic is moot at any rate. He 100% could not be traded, and the Pens are stuck with him.

It reminds me of an Alice Cooper song . . . Welcome To My Nightmare . . .. bwah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha . . . . .

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2016 :  11:34:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forgive my terrible memory but didn't Toronto end up keeping part of Kessel's salary in the trade with Pitt?? Looking back, I see reports stating TO is retaining $1.2 million/season for the next 7 years. That means his $8 million turns into $6.8 million based on the cap hit and I am also assuming that his contract was front loaded meaning that $1.2 million/season becomes a bigger incentive at time goes on.

Maybe not this year or next year, but it he can be close to a 30 goal guy next year, a trade is pretty reasonable if Pitt goes in a different direction.

What I am most surprised about is not necessarily that Kessel didn't click with Crosby but that this is just another player that doesn't click with Crosby. I bet the Penguins have tried at least 20 different players to be Sid's wingman and no one can do it. Is that a problem with the wingman or a problem with Sid?? Even at the very short windows of time when Crosby played on national teams, he hasn't done a lot to make those around him better. Brilliant hockey player but his inability to make anyone around him better is a knock again his legacy..

Sorry for going off track. Point it, the deeper into the contract the more palatable a trade for Kessel becomes because of the $1.2 million retained salary in TO.

Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2016 :  11:38:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

"With 6 points in his last 5 games"

Yep . . . change that to . . . with 1 goal and 1 assist in his last 5 games.

That's why it's very dangerous to show very small sample sizes as proof of things to come. You honestly have to see something different in the way he's playing to jump to that conclusion, and . . . honestly, from what I've seen, he is chugging along at a pace which suggests it will be a struggle for Kessel to get to 30 goals and/or 60 points. He's not going to be playing with Crosby unless it's the pp, that much is clear. He is probably occasionally going to be put with Malkin, where he's had sporadic success. But mostly, he'll probably remain on the "3rd line", with spot duty on Malkin's line to get him more minutes.

The question of this topic is moot at any rate. He 100% could not be traded, and the Pens are stuck with him.

It reminds me of an Alice Cooper song . . . Welcome To My Nightmare . . .. bwah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha . . . . .

Where did you get that 2 points in 5 game stat? I just double check his last 10 and since mid December he hasn't had 2 points in 5 games. My point was his improved play in his last 10 games has justified his contract value to the Pens. Is it sour grapes? Do you want him back? He is most definitely tradable, as his most notable weakness in Toronto was his lack of defensive commitment, which was evidenced by his poor +/- and corsi, which has reversed to a positive this year on a struggling team. This year he is better in both regards and you cant say his stats are elevated by his linemates, because they are not jelling.
Go to Top of Page

umteman
PickupHockey Pro

USA
662 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2016 :  14:03:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by Beans15

Forgive my terrible memory but didn't Toronto end up keeping part of Kessel's salary in the trade with Pitt?? Looking back, I see reports stating TO is retaining $1.2 million/season for the next 7 years. That means his $8 million turns into $6.8 million based on the cap hit and I am also assuming that his contract was front loaded meaning that $1.2 million/season becomes a bigger incentive at time goes on.

Maybe not this year or next year, but it he can be close to a 30 goal guy next year, a trade is pretty reasonable if Pitt goes in a different direction.

What I am most surprised about is not necessarily that Kessel didn't click with Crosby but that this is just another player that doesn't click with Crosby. I bet the Penguins have tried at least 20 different players to be Sid's wingman and no one can do it. Is that a problem with the wingman or a problem with Sid?? Even at the very short windows of time when Crosby played on national teams, he hasn't done a lot to make those around him better. Brilliant hockey player but his inability to make anyone around him better is a knock again his legacy..

Sorry for going off track. Point it, the deeper into the contract the more palatable a trade for Kessel becomes because of the $1.2 million retained salary in TO. [quote]

You might want to ask Chris Kunitz if playing on a line with Crosby can elevate your level of play.

Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2016 :  19:27:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Crosby is quickly moving up the scoring leaders with 26 points in his last 18 games. Sid now sits tied for 13th with Nicklas Backstrom.
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2016 :  09:13:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe the problem isn't Crosby, kessel is a big time lazy ass, is Kunitz a star player ?.... Didn't Crosby put kunitzs offensive numbers sky high a couple seasons back. Who else of notoritity has played with Crosby ? ( excluding Malkin ) has there ever been a pure great winger play with him regularly ?... I don't really know, can't recall any great ones .
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2016 :  11:23:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kunitz is the only player anyone can provide who has played with Crosby who has seen a benefit and when you look at the numbers, it's not really that noticeable. Kunitz was a fine player with Anaheim but he was in the Western Bubble so most people out east didn't know he was that good of a player.

In 315 games before playing with Pittsburg Kunitz had:

81 G-111A - 192 pts = 0.61 PPG

In the 465 with Pittsburgh Kunitz has:

152 G-188A - 388 pts = 0.72 PPG

Extrapolate that over an 82 game season and that's 9 pts. Kunitz, on average, only recognized a 9 pt upswing playing with Crosby vs. not playing with Crosby and he's the guy people point to as the guy who has clicked with Crosby. Not a really strong example when you think about it. What about the plethora of other player who have come and gone as Sid's wingman?? Nothing of note once you think about it.

Take nothing away from Crosby. Brilliant hockey player and one of the best of his generation. Injuries and the inability to make those around him better knock him down pretty far on the list of greatest of all time players.

Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2016 :  11:45:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with you Beans. Just switching from West to East could have been enough of a reason for the uptick in Kunitz's stats, let alone the stifling offensively play of Anaheim. Perry, maybe Getzlaf are the exception to the rule being able to reach top 10 in scoring while playing in Anaheim.
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2016 :  09:00:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyway , getting back on topic, ... Kessel Trade....
I'm in agreement with Slozo , Pittsburg is stuck with him...
Who wants him ?? That's the question ??? Who. ??
As I stated before, he has an 8 team list on his no trade clause. The leafs called all these 8 teams before and the ONLY team who EVEN WANTED him was Pittsburg
Other 7 teams had ZERO interest in kessel !!!!
Why would they have interest now when kessel has proven that he CANT elevate his play with the likes of Crosby and Malkin ???
I once liked kessel but he has wore out his welcome everywhere because he is a LAZY ASS player.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2016 :  10:56:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure if you are being factually with that statement. How does anyone know who was or was not interested?? Just because he ended up in Pitt doesn't mean others weren't interested. It just means others did not give the offer that Toronto though was best??

And who would want Kessel now?? Granted, the list is likely smaller now than it was 2-3 years ago but it's not like he's completely useless. The question is motivation. A motivated Kessel is a 30+ goal a year guy. If he can be motivated he has value to most teams. Especially with the Leaf's keeping $1.5 million/year of salary. In the last 3-4 years of his deal he will be tradable. Today, only if he picks up his socks will they be able to move him.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2016 :  11:21:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I predict that in 3 years, Kessel is retired. I think this is the start of his steep decline, and in a year and a half, it won't be pretty.

This is EXACTLY why I wanted Kessel out of Toronto - a floating winger with zero appetite for fitness or work ethic in today's NHL is in sharp decline after 27, and I could see it in Kessel.

And I can guarantee that no one will take Kessel now, unless it's a Clarkson-style deal where it's a trade of my problem for your problem.

I know this movie, I've seen the previews.

Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2016 :  08:21:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Beans and Joshua, Kessel could be traded, maybe not this year but eventually, and mostly because Toronto retains part of his salary.

Would a team like Anaheim be interested? Perry and Getzlaf on one line and Kesler and Kessel on the other, they could really go for a cup.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page