Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Gudbranson to Canucks Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

just1n
PickupHockey Pro

282 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2016 :  11:00:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Canucks have once again found a trade partner in the Florida Panthers!

To Van: Defenseman Erik Gudbranson and a 5th round pick
To Florida: Forward Jared McCann, 2nd and 4th round picks

Is this a good trade for the Canucks? This seems like a steep price to pay.

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2016 :  11:57:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is a good trade...and it is a steep price.

VAN has been looking for this kind of defenseman for a long time - physically tough, big minute eating defensive defenseman, capable of playing top 4 (maybe top 2) and shutting down the other teams top offensive players. Its more than a "nice to have", its table stakes for competing in the western conference. Gudbradson fits the bill, and is only 24 years old to boot. He could become a cornerstone for VAN for a long time.

These kinds of defensemen don't grow on trees, and teams that have them don't often trade them - hence the high price. FLA has an abundance of young dmen, and were able to trade from a position of strength. There was also an article today indicating that Gudbradson has recently turned down a 4yr/18M contract offer, which probably factored into his availability as well.

VAN gave up a lot to get him, but I'm OK with what they gave up. I like McCann, he's a young guy that has a lot of promise. But as the year went on he increasingly looked worn down and unable to hold his own, and appears to be the odd man out on a team that suddenly has depth down the middle. He's not big enough to be a #1 center, doesn't have the defensive skills for #2 or #3 (yet), but is too skilled to be your 4th line centre. With Sedin/Horvat/Sutter in your 1/2/3 spots, someone was either going to need to swich to wing to make room for McCann, or they were going to have to move one of them.

I'm fine with the draft picks as well - like I say, the price for a Gudbradson type of player is going to be high, and you have to pay to play.

Edited by - nuxfan on 05/26/2016 11:58:14
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2016 :  16:38:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the price was just a little too high, but I guess that's what it took to get it done. If the 2nd was a 3rd, I'd prob be better with it? However, this draft, many say picks 25-100 are a bit of a crap shoot, so who knows?

I have no problem with losing McCann. Nuxfan did a good job of explaining why as he really wouldn't have been likely to have found a spot here.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2016 :  09:45:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
some more scuttlebutt on this trade...

According to some local sources, VAN management was starting to sour on McCann due to a sense of "entitlement" around his perceived place in the lineup. Shades of the Hodgson fiasco from a few years back, perhaps management was already resigned to moving McCann and didn't have him in their plans going forward.

And according to some other news stories, FLA was equally souring on Gudbradson, and were not willing to pay him the money he was likely to be looking for after next season. He's a largely stay-at-home dman, limited puck moving skills and bad analytics, no room for that in the NHL anymore, etc etc.

Skills and measurement aside, it sounds like both teams might have been looking to move their respective pieces for a number of reasons.
Go to Top of Page

The_Gipper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
285 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2016 :  11:28:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sure Gudbranson is 24 now, but the Canucks have been trending downwards the last few seasons. and I really don't think his acquisition is going to magically turn this teams fortunes around. so unless other major moves are in their future (doubtful), you'd have to figure they will try to re-build with already having a potential corner stone player in place. OR they're going to be stuck somewhere halfway between contention and the basement.

if they go rebuild route Gudbranson could very well be in his 30's by the time this team is ready to compete again. that's an awful long time to wait considering the price you paid to get him.

if they're stuck in no-man's land.........well.......that's a place no one really wants to be.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2016 :  12:50:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The_Gipper

sure Gudbranson is 24 now, but the Canucks have been trending downwards the last few seasons. and I really don't think his acquisition is going to magically turn this teams fortunes around. so unless other major moves are in their future (doubtful), you'd have to figure they will try to re-build with already having a potential corner stone player in place. OR they're going to be stuck somewhere halfway between contention and the basement.

if they go rebuild route Gudbranson could very well be in his 30's by the time this team is ready to compete again. that's an awful long time to wait considering the price you paid to get him.

if they're stuck in no-man's land.........well.......that's a place no one really wants to be.

I don't think any one acquisition is going to magically turn the Canucks around - I certainly wasn't suggesting that was the case, and no one is planning the parade route after this trade.

However, defense is one area where the Canucks don't have a lot of depth, and more importantly, don't have a lot of blue chip prospects on the farm. When you can't build from within, you're forced to acquire from outside. I'm glad that they chose to go with someone relatively young like Gudbradson, as opposed to overpaying for 30-something UFA this summer.

For the first time in a long time, VAN has a lot of cap space, and will probably be active in the offseason. I do believe that they will make some reasonably significant moves in an effort to remain competitive, as opposed to going the full rebuild route.

Edited by - nuxfan on 05/27/2016 12:52:44
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2016 :  08:04:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think this was the wrong move for Vancouver management to make. Putting the roster players aside, Vancouver loses a 2nd rounder and a 4th rounder and gets a 5th rounder back.

They are in a re-tooling phase, and trading one decent young player for another one - different positions notwithstanding - I think it's the wrong move for them to LOSE good picks to make a slight upgrade in a position of weakness.

Not surprising from this management team however.

Don't Leaf me hanging, Buds!
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2016 :  12:32:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

I think this was the wrong move for Vancouver management to make. Putting the roster players aside, Vancouver loses a 2nd rounder and a 4th rounder and gets a 5th rounder back.

They are in a re-tooling phase, and trading one decent young player for another one - different positions notwithstanding - I think it's the wrong move for them to LOSE good picks to make a slight upgrade in a position of weakness.

Not surprising from this management team however.

Don't Leaf me hanging, Buds!

But the roster player is the main piece of the trade, you can't just "put that aside". How can you evaluate the trade without considering the fact that they got a young top-4 physical dman in return, that was otherwise un-obtainable?
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2016 :  16:25:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
holy crap, whats up with the Hall for Larsson deal?

If the current price for a young top-4 defensive dman with plenty of upside is Taylor freaking Hall, then I'd say the Canucks excellent return with a 2nd and 4th rounder for Gudbradson...

Edit - forgot about McCann being part of the deal... still, the Canucks definitely paid far less for their dman than EDM did

Edited by - nuxfan on 06/30/2016 14:04:04
Go to Top of Page

just1n
PickupHockey Pro

282 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2016 :  08:40:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nuxfan - yeah, that came to my mind as well!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page